Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at our team sheat would have told Bruce we were looking to grind something out today. Playing 5 centrally minded midfielders? NONE of whom have pace? Gordon for siggy, delph left back and nkoukou more advanced on the wing would have signalled more attacking intent, maybe even bernard instead of gomes out wide. Gomes out wide? Come on carlo.

Did he not see the Brighton game where they destroyed Newcastle with fast, pacey players? Awful line up today, And awful sub decisions.

Still cant get my head around Carlo continuing to pick siggy as skipper! Baffles me.

I can understand his other selections, and I suppose even the tactics to some degree, with the key players absent, as we are back to koeman/Silva garbage with 2 or more injuries and suspensions, but his love for iceberg really bothers me.

Everton without Digne, Richarlison, Coleman and Rodriguez. and still having aload of deadwood players with no depth. and people are blaming ancelotti.

Gordon may have helped. but i dont think by much.

When his go to players are cenk tosun alex iwobi and your fabian delpths i really dont know what some are expecting.
It was never going to be a quick fix. These need time to be replaced.
He's had one window. Which made an impact. Needs one or two more at the least.

Were second after 7 games, which is amazing, as much as the last week has stunk things are good

We could be first after 7 with better tactics and team selection today. A poor Newcastle were there for the taking for a team which was prepared to have a go at them with pace. Stop settling for mediocrity. We should be beating that shower, not looking to be defensive against them. A very Italian approach to today's game which was baffling.

Well he hasnt got much choice when 4 of our most important players cannot play has he. He can only use the tools he has and much of those tools are sub standard.
Who was he supposed to play then? I will agree it was dreadful but we have too many bang average players playing for us, Carlo tried to get rid of quite a few, but the players didn’t want to go.

He has a choice not to play 5 CM's in midfield though doesnt he.

Its like he's trying to shoehorn his best players on the pitch but you pick the players best suited to a system.

I love him but he's at fault for this one.

Have to say that game plan today was awful. Delph and Doucoure dropping into the full back areas meant we had nobody in midfield and Kenny and Nkonkou were just stood doing very little ahead of the ball.
Static and painfully slow

We could be first after 7 with better tactics and team selection today. A poor Newcastle were there for the taking for a team which was prepared to have a go at them with pace. Stop settling for mediocrity. We should be beating that shower, not looking to be defensive against them. A very Italian approach to today's game which was baffling.

We are without Richy, Coleman, Digne and James. The error from Gomes had caused us.

I think he’s struggling, picking players on reputation or size of their salary. Needs to see the light and dump a few.
Played Iwobi out of position last week, then today when he could of played a bit of pace or someone like Iwobi alongside DCL he goes bore bore bore.
Only 2 games lost but he seems to struggle if he has to change players

What else could he have done, really?

Gordon? Niels was already making his debut at left back. We needed some experience/nous around him against the likes of Saint-Maximin

Who else? What else could he have done?

As I said earlier;

An Everton team, missing 5 key players in Richarlison, Rodriguez, Digne, Coleman and Holgate.

An Everton team, with Niels making his debut, Kenny thrown in without match fitness - Delph, Gomes, Sigurdsson and co.

An Everton team, when chasing a game, who have to turn to Iwobi, Bernard and Tosun.

Ancelotti took a pragmatic view - most were doom and gloom beforehand and rightly so.

We had more of the ball, we had more shots and if soft arse Gomes didn't put in one of his spaced off his tits games and do his off the ball liability act we'd have been right in that and took a point or maybe even nicked it late on.

Ancelotti has said pretty much the above - the intention given the context of missing half a first team was to go away to Newcastle, keep it tight and look to win it late on. Gomes cost us the game today.

“It’s where we missed today – the little details,” said Ancelotti. “We knew we didn’t have the usual quality up front but I said to my players, ‘Be focused defensively, don’t give a gift as we don’t want to lose'.

“It was not a good performance. The game was in the balance, they opened the scoring, we were a little bit slow in the contact, we gave them a gift in the penalty and after that, the game is changed. As usual, it happened and we woke up later but the performance was not good.

“We knew it would be this sort of game, without a lot of opportunities. Until the penalty, the game was in the balance. We didn’t have a lot of opportunities, Newcastle didn’t have a lot of opportunities - we just needed to continue like this, don't let them have a gift and keep the match balanced and we could open at the end.

Knew the result as soon as I saw the team sheet. The amount of ambition we lack at the club is truly awful. No one can say that team put out today was one that was looking for anything other than a draw.

we lack pace big time, so much dead wood. We have zero options on the wings and the only wingers we had today were only good enough for the bench! Says it all

defence conceding yet again and why why why have we allowed ourselves to rely on dcl without a back up? You can’t expect him to play every game and be 100 percent.

great start thrown away by lack of ambition in the market, failure to get rid of the deadwood and an absolutely shocking team selection today.

He is taking a big gamble for next week by putting pickford back...if pickford makes a mistake, Ancelotti will have to be blame for it...strange decisions of late...

That was a really defensive italian formation and line-up today, which was shocking cos it was against one of the worst sides in the league. A side which doesn't create many chances and isn't too hard to break down with a bit of pace. A team who were torn to shreds by Brighton a couple of weeks ago because their manager picked attack minded players and had a clear attacking plan.

We got what we deserved today, even with our missing players, we should have had enough to beat that shower. I blame tactics and player choice, both of which are the manager's responsibility.

Atrocious team selection, lack of tactics, terrible substitution decisions.

Awful today carlo, just awful.
Oh dear, shall we ask Sam to comeback?

Koeman got rightly slaughtered for his throw all the AM's on the pitch together, yet Carlo can start 5 CM's together and people think he didnt have options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back