Central Midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
A vocal section of our fan base worships complete and utter cloggers and carthorses and are happy to jump all over any actual footballer in midfield. McCarthy Barry Rodwell Schneiderlin Gueye have been absolutely average, some of them even struggling to pick a forward pass at times, they’ve been the ‘heartbeat’ of teams that have seen multiple managers fired yet they’ve never received the sort of criticism reserved for players like Osman Pienaar, even Arteta towards the end, Davies now. Basically if you get on the ball and try and make stuff happen and it doesn’t come off you’ll be vilified far more than if you just stroll round midfield passing it sideways.

A vocal section of our fan base worships complete and utter cloggers and carthorses and are happy to jump all over any actual footballer in midfield. McCarthy Barry Rodwell Schneiderlin Gueye have been absolutely average, some of them even struggling to pick a forward pass at times, they’ve been the ‘heartbeat’ of teams that have seen multiple managers fired yet they’ve never received the sort of criticism reserved for players like Osman Pienaar, even Arteta towards the end, Davies now. Basically if you get on the ball and try and make stuff happen and it doesn’t come off you’ll be vilified far more than if you just stroll round midfield passing it sideways.
Just two things, please never speak Davies name in the same breath as pienaars and artetas, and secondly, Barry especially in his first season was one of the best midfielders we've had in decades

Because there is a longstanding opinion within the club that energy and tackling are the most important traits for a midfielder. It's ingrained within our youth coaches and large elements of our support. We haven't one good midfielder. Not one of them is productive with the ball at their feet. It's safe and has no threat.
Over the years we've been crying our for a player like Bernard. I just hope he can deliver. Ideal for games in which we have control of the ball like yesterday.

Just two things, please never speak Davies name in the same breath as pienaars and artetas, and secondly, Barry especially in his first season was one of the best midfielders we've had in decades

There can be variances around opinions of individual players but the overriding principle is still valid. I’ve seen thunderous applause for midfielders taking down a ball under no pressure and turning it back to their centrebacks whilst others who have tried an eye of the needle pass have been barracked.

There can be variances around opinions of individual players but the overriding principle is still valid. I’ve seen thunderous applause for midfielders taking down a ball under no pressure and turning it back to their centrebacks whilst others who have tried an eye of the needle pass have been barracked.

Honestly agree with your viewpoint mostly except for Davies it doesn't matter if he looks forward to create, He simply hasn't got the skill or technique to pick the pass its constantly over hit or under hit, The flip side is he loses possession in my opinion more than even Barkley.
The issue with being caught or giving the ball away in attacking positions when you are going forward is the very reason you are left vulnerable for the counter attack that is why most of us get on his case because i literally get anxious when we are going forward and he is on the ball either that or the pace is gone because he dawdles or slows things down.
So in respect to the sideways passes unless your Man City Barca and push the space and pull players out of position a lot of the football is gonna be sideways passes and controlled possession or counter attacking football.
I can quite happily say that Tom Davies is and will never be good enough to boss a midfield or control it and anyone feel free to show this to me if it ever come off.

Is Bernard a Arteta type of player guys never seen him play ?

Well, both are creative types but Bernard is a natural left winger. Arteta was a square peg in a round hole when played out wide. We know why it happened but I'd be digressing if I said anymore. That said, Silva did say Bernard was competition for Sigurdsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.