Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Championship player gets full England call up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think where you grew up has a more profound effect on your national identity than where you were born.

But carry on, I know you've got an image to keep up.

Yeah maybe on a personal level. I dont know why you wouldnt want to play for your country of birth anyway but each to their own.

No image, just an opinion. International footy is becoming a bit like club footy with players being able to pick and choose who they play for.

As I say, from an England national team fan perspective it's ace coz he's supposed to be amazing!

I was born in portsmouth, because my dad worked on a navy ship there, but I spent all my life from my first brithday onwards in the north of england.

I feel no relationship whatsoever to portsmouth, I can't even remember my time there. Surely it's the same with Podolski or Holden who barely remember the country of their birth. Admittedly my dad and ma are scouse too so it's not quite the same but there you go.

I've got to say, I'm honestly surprised that Nik doesn't support immigrants choosing the identity of the country they live in, I thought you were supposed to be right wing ffs?

i thought it would be Jordan Henderson. He's defo championship quality like. . . . . . Possibly even playing in a future championship side!!

Country is a little different to where you were born within a country like.

Why the **** does everyone feel the need to attack me on everything I say?!

It's got nothing to do with politics and isn't an uncommon opinion upon international football critics, so stop acting like it's such a far fetched thing to say.

As I say, it's all the better for the England national team that he's chosen to play for England.

I'm not attacking you. You raised a point I have an opinion on so I responded to it.

Why would you post something on a forum if you don't want replies?

It's got nothing to do with politics and isn't an uncommon opinion upon international football critics, so stop acting like it's such a far fetched thing to say.

As I say, it's all the better for the England national team that he's chosen to play for England.

I like your hair mate.

RFUS did and you brought 'right wing' into it.

Its ****ing pathetic.

It's not attacking someone to call them right wing, it's a descriptive term. But fair enough, I'm sorry. It probably wasn't needed. It wasn't intended as a dig, believe it or not.

The thing is I have opinions on the whole representing the country of your birth thing and I want to talk about it if other people are interested. For a start it's not recent at all, it was just as common in the 30s and 40s as it is now and I think that there's different types of it. I mean if you're english and representing a country like st vincent or ireland because you have an ancestor from there and it's your best chance of international football thats dodgy (a burnley defender once represented jamaica despite not even having a jamaican ancestor hilariously enough.) Simarly the likes of deco or puskas representing a country they moved to for footballing purposes, I don't like that.

But, Anichebe who moved to england at like 1 years of age, if he decided to represent england that would strike me as respectable because we're the country he's spent most of his life, same with podolski and germany (I know there's a basketball player who was taken in as immigrant child and wanted desperately to represent england because he felt he owed this country something in return.) It's like how Terry Butcher was born in singapore but from an english family stationed out there, he's simply not singaporian. Or Van Den Hauwe just wasn't belgium.

I think the much more dodgy thing is players like kanoute who were born and raised in france playing for the countries of their father's birth, to be honest but there you go.

It's not attacking someone to call them right wing, it's a descriptive term. But fair enough, I'm sorry. It probably wasn't needed. It wasn't intended as a dig, believe it or not.

The thing is I have opinions on the whole representing the country of your birth thing and I want to talk about it if other people are interested. For a start it's not recent at all, it was just as common in the 30s and 40s as it is now and I think that there's different types of it. I mean if you're english and representing a country like st vincent or ireland because you have an ancestor from there and it's your best chance of international football thats dodgy (a burnley defender once represented jamaica despite not even having a jamaican ancestor hilariously enough.) Simarly the likes of deco or puskas representing a country they moved to for footballing purposes, I don't like that.

But, Anichebe who moved to england at like 1 years of age, if he decided to represent england that would strike me as respectable because we're the country he's spent most of his life, same with podolski and germany (I know there's a basketball player who was taken in as immigrant child and wanted desperately to represent england because he felt he owed this country something in return.) It's like how Terry Butcher was born in singapore but from an english family stationed out there, he's simply not singaporian. Or Van Den Hauwe just wasn't belgium.

I think the much more dodgy thing is players like kanoute who were born and raised in france playing for the countries of their father's birth, to be honest but there you go.

I disagree with you there TBH. If Kanoute had been brought up with that countries values, been immersed in it's culture and felt an affinity to it due to his heritage I'd see that as completely normal TBH.

The one thing I really don't like over all others in this area is switching allegiances. If you and your family consider yourself french you should play for france right through.

I disagree with you there TBH. If Kanoute had been brought up with that countries values, been immersed in it's culture and felt an affinity to it due to his heritage I'd see that as completely normal TBH.

The one thing I really don't like over all others in this area is switching allegiances. If you and your family consider yourself french you should play for france right through.

It's kind of amazing how many players have played for multiple national teams, like. Even these days it's not rare for someone like Gueye to play for the the french youth system and then Senegal or Jenkinson do the same with Finland and England but back in the day you had players just go mental with it. I think Kubala and Di Stefano played for three different teams each. And one argentinian reached world cup finals with two different teams in the 30s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back