• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

CL Final Inter Milan v Man City. Saturday 10th June 8pm KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something we might all ponder. A famous piece by Paul Morley written about Man City in 1998 when they'd sunk to the third tier of English football:

City of Lost Souls

To support Manchester City is to believe that God might have trouble running things on this planet, but he's in control of the next world. He has to be. The Devil rules this world and always will, because his team are Manchester United, and they are world famous and monolithic.

Manchester City, who's name travels the world about as well as Gracie Fields or Pulp, are on the side of the angels; the poor, sapped, unfortunate angels who still believe in quaint antiquated notions of earthly good. To support Manchester City is to accept with heroic willingness the dead-flat that the universe is cold and hostile, and nothing good will become of it.

To support City is to tackle head on the crushing pointlessness of existence and to attempt to make something of it. It is hard work. So why do it? Because somehow this seems ultimately more dignified and fulfilling than taking the easy way out and supporting the lulling and obnoxious United.
To support United is too easy. It's convenience supporting. It makes life too easy. There is no challenge. It is a cowardly form of escapism, a sell-out to the forces of evil. United fans have no soul and will spend their eternity neck deep in boiling vomit.
City fans retain their soul and will spend their eternity forever reliving the moment their team beat Newcastle 4-3 away from home to win the League Championship in 1968, beating United into second place.

Surely we will have such eternal bliss again, for why do we spend so much time suffering in this life watching our team climb to the summit only so that we can watch them dive, dive, dive to their pitiless bottom of the heap while United, of Manchester, but nothing really to do with it, float every more triumphantly skywards? Heartless United are the incarnation of shamelessness and to support them is heroism in a can. Cavalier City, however awry their football, however dire their straits, glow with something mystical and transcendental. City have soul. United do not. When they are great again, City will have shown that they are worth their extraordinary fans. To this day these fans will walk a million miles for one of Joe Mercer's smiles. They'll sing a million songs waiting for some new Mercer-like magic. Because they are City, and Christ do they know they're born.
Lovely read mate...

And just an interesting side note: This is also one of the proposed titles for the new Indiana Jones flick.
I think Shia Labeouf is playing his son again, so it's safe to say that we can all give it a miss.

….genuinely glad our fellow FFP miscreants were victorious last night.

Weird that City are reported and win the Champions League, Premier League & FA Cup whilst we get reported and just avoid relegation.

Shows it’s not so much about the money but how you spend it. Something for the lawyers to ponder.

Pure hypocrisy rival fans criticising monies yet wanting Oil Rich takeover for themselves. If it annoys the RS I’m ok with it.
Like you @Eggs. Genuinely glad for the many City fans I know who suffered for 30+ years.

Also happy to sense how much that this is winding up the RS and their sycophantic media following. Every media article about City’s remarkable achievements this season seems also to include a Barb about 115 supposed violations. It’s like ‘innocent until proven guilty’ stopped being the law and replaced by Judgement by the RS media. I stopped counting at 15, the number of times BT Sport referenced the RS Istanbul in their commentary … blah blah blah.

As a mostly neutral occasionally watching City this year it’s been a joy to watch their football. I dearly wish it was Everton playing football like this. But I congratulate City and wish their fans well for what they’ve done.

Watching the news reports since City won the CL is beginning to get to me it seems to be nonstop.
Don't get me wrong I am glad they won it and realise if it's getting on my tits it's 10 fold for United and the RS.
It all takes me back to the week after Istanbul 2005 which was a horrible couple of weeks I was waking up every day totally depressed not wanting to talk to anyone and trying the best I could to avoid any sort of news reports
I even made the mistake of placing a £50 bet at 5/1 before the semi final against Chelsea that they would win the trophy in the misguided idea that it would soften the blow but it didn't.
I just felt a deep sense of shame for picking up £300 because of there triumph, I did not know what to do with the money I didn't even tell my wife I had won it .I needed to take a couple of weeks to process it and eventually split it between my 3 kids but told them it was a work bonus as I didn't want them thinking Liverpool winning things was a good thing.
So anyway City enjoy the parade the enemy of my enemy will always be my friend.

Something we might all ponder. A famous piece by Paul Morley written about Man City in 1998 when they'd sunk to the third tier of English football:

City of Lost Souls

To support Manchester City is to believe that God might have trouble running things on this planet, but he's in control of the next world. He has to be. The Devil rules this world and always will, because his team are Manchester United, and they are world famous and monolithic.

Manchester City, who's name travels the world about as well as Gracie Fields or Pulp, are on the side of the angels; the poor, sapped, unfortunate angels who still believe in quaint antiquated notions of earthly good. To support Manchester City is to accept with heroic willingness the dead-flat that the universe is cold and hostile, and nothing good will become of it.

To support City is to tackle head on the crushing pointlessness of existence and to attempt to make something of it. It is hard work. So why do it? Because somehow this seems ultimately more dignified and fulfilling than taking the easy way out and supporting the lulling and obnoxious United.
To support United is too easy. It's convenience supporting. It makes life too easy. There is no challenge. It is a cowardly form of escapism, a sell-out to the forces of evil. United fans have no soul and will spend their eternity neck deep in boiling vomit.
City fans retain their soul and will spend their eternity forever reliving the moment their team beat Newcastle 4-3 away from home to win the League Championship in 1968, beating United into second place.

Surely we will have such eternal bliss again, for why do we spend so much time suffering in this life watching our team climb to the summit only so that we can watch them dive, dive, dive to their pitiless bottom of the heap while United, of Manchester, but nothing really to do with it, float every more triumphantly skywards? Heartless United are the incarnation of shamelessness and to support them is heroism in a can. Cavalier City, however awry their football, however dire their straits, glow with something mystical and transcendental. City have soul. United do not. When they are great again, City will have shown that they are worth their extraordinary fans. To this day these fans will walk a million miles for one of Joe Mercer's smiles. They'll sing a million songs waiting for some new Mercer-like magic. Because they are City, and Christ do they know they're born.
Irony at its best i think you would think that its only city who have been relegated and come back to enjoy success to hear them waffle these days , they have only achieved this by being owned and bought by ABU Dhabi that is the facts of the matter, they have a further group called city football group which owns or part owns i think another 12 clubs around the world , they have multi billion sponsorship deals some of them very dodgy , they yet to pay the council the money to own wastelands why that is i dont know. they have invested some money in East Manchester 5 minutes from where i live , but the publicity machine they have and their fans and sycophants in the media try to claim they have reversed 40 years of economic and social decline in the area which is a complete lie and a fantasy , football wise they have done well with their oil money nobody can deny that, but the piffle from their fans is beyond the pale i mean before the oil arrived they regularly used to sing a song about a plane crash and that half the ground not a small section, so sure and it is spoken as though they are paragons of virtue and a lovely little club nothing could be further from the truth especially their fans

Irony at its best i think you would think that its only city who have been relegated and come back to enjoy success to hear them waffle these days , they have only achieved this by being owned and bought by ABU Dhabi that is the facts of the matter, they have a further group called city football group which owns or part owns i think another 12 clubs around the world , they have multi billion sponsorship deals some of them very dodgy , they yet to pay the council the money to own wastelands why that is i dont know. they have invested some money in East Manchester 5 minutes from where i live , but the publicity machine they have and their fans and sycophants in the media try to claim they have reversed 40 years of economic and social decline in the area which is a complete lie and a fantasy , football wise they have done well with their oil money nobody can deny that, but the piffle from their fans is beyond the pale i mean before the oil arrived they regularly used to sing a song about a plane crash and that half the ground not a small section, so sure and it is spoken as though they are paragons of virtue and a lovely little club nothing could be further from the truth especially their fans
I didn't post that as a defence of the Arab takeover of City. Morley wrote that 25 years ago and at the time it was a way of saying nothing is fixed, that wheels turn and what is a nightmare now can turn into a dream and then success at some later point.

Like you @Eggs. Genuinely glad for the many City fans I know who suffered for 30+ years.

Also happy to sense how much that this is winding up the RS and their sycophantic media following. Every media article about City’s remarkable achievements this season seems also to include a Barb about 115 supposed violations. It’s like ‘innocent until proven guilty’ stopped being the law and replaced by Judgement by the RS media. I stopped counting at 15, the number of times BT Sport referenced the RS Istanbul in their commentary … blah blah blah.

As a mostly neutral occasionally watching City this year it’s been a joy to watch their football. I dearly wish it was Everton playing football like this. But I congratulate City and wish their fans well for what they’ve done.
It's a joy to behold although I have learnt this morning that 115 doesn't refer to the amount of asthmatics to have played for the RS under Klopp.

Good luck to them, I've said it before there isn't a Liverpool fan I've met who would of put up with what those city fans have endured, Liverpool fans can't handle not getting a penalty every game never mind dropping divisions.

I didn't post that as a defence of the Arab takeover of City. Morley wrote that 25 years ago and at the time it was a way of saying nothing is fixed, that wheels turn and what is a nightmare now can turn into a dream and then success at some late

of coure i have no problem with your post , its just the author of it with the trash he has wrote , loads of teams have gone down with loyal support , these clowns think they are special somehow , the only special thing that happened to them was abu dhabi took over them

City of Lost Souls

Doesn’t do much for me that piece.

Full of bitterness and the kind of lies football fans tell themselves as some sort of pathetic comfort blanket, desperately grappling for some, any, form of moral high ground. And as someone else has said above, city fans have been no angels in the past. Munich songs galore.

I’m pleased that they’ve taken the spotlight firmly off Klopp and the RS but that’s about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back