Computer games.

Modern Warfare II....

The multiplayer gets one big massive 'meh' from me. Don't even really know where to begin to start listing my bugbears with it to be honest. It's just... not very good.

Trying to recall when I last paid full freight for a PC game. It might be KoToR. Worth, that one was.
I thought the ‘games are cheaper on PC’ notion was overblown but I’ve saved a fortune compared to console prices. Plus the £60 or so a year I’m saving for not having to pay to online.

Just a shame it’s so expensive to get a PC that has parity with the latest consoles. They’re incredible value machines.

I thought the ‘games are cheaper on PC’ notion was overblown but I’ve saved a fortune compared to console prices. Plus the £60 or so a year I’m saving for not having to pay to online.

Just a shame it’s so expensive to get a PC that has parity with the latest consoles. They’re incredible value machines.
If you play a lot of games or do actual work on it, then it's the way.

Is anyone here currently doing, or know of anyone doing, a BTEC in eSports at college? My eldest is in year 11 and is looking at options for A-Levels next year. We recently attended the local 6th Form to get ideas on subjects he could study (as with most teenagers he has no real clue what he wants to do for a career).

He's a bright lad and was considering traditional A-Levels along the lines of Physics, Geology and Engineering, but just before we left the college we checked out their new "Creative Media" dept. My mind was blown to discover that a BTEC in eSports is now a thing, and it has really piqued his interest. He had mentioned before we visited that they do eSports there, but I thought he was talking about an after hours club etc, not an actual academic qualification! He's a massive gamer (like myself), but I'm worried this sort of course will be looked upon as a bit of a "joke" qualification. In fairness, when I spoke to the course tutor raising these concerns (while trying not to offend him too much...), he said it was a common worry and explained that it has a lot of transferable skills, from law, networking, business, event management and health and fitness. But it's a "2 block" course as well, so would be equivalent to 2 A-Levels, but as it takes up the study time of 2 of his 3 study blocks, it would leave him time to study for only 1 traditional A-Level.

The facilities for the course do look incredibly impressive, with 3 huge dedicated "classrooms" containing rows of high-end gaming set-ups, and is the exact sort of thing I would have wanted to do when I was his age if it was available! But I still have my concerns. The entry requirements for the course are one of the lowest for any of the courses they offer, and I worry he would be selling himself a bit short. But I also think it's important that he does something he'll actually enjoy. Another option is for him to instead do the 1 block Digital Games Production course, allowing him time to study 2 other traditional A-Levels.

If anyone has any experience of these, any input would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back