Confirmed Signing Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't rate him but be interested to see how Wolves fans value him?
Other teams fans always a good barometer of there own players.
I think we need to have faith in DOF and Lampard, as someone mentioned above. If we're playing 3 at the back then Coady will be the man who knows it inside out and can organise from the back.
I asked my Wolves fan mate this morning about the Coady rumour and he was pretty gutted. He isn't a fan of the new manager, thinks he's too possession obsessed without much end product, a bit like Martinez was for us. He also reckons Vinagre is a really good player.

if we are interested in him I’m not overly keen on the idea. If he really is as people have suggested “a Kopite bell” isn’t that just opening him up to the same sort of scrutiny that Benitez got. God forbid the lad makes a mistake in the derby. He would get strung up from the highest tree. Not really a conducive atmosphere for a player.
We should be looking for a striker other than waiting on Broja. DCL is starting to look like he’s made of glass like Mina.
Exactly the reason I hope this doesn't happen. I won't say we should ever not sign one from them, but Coady is a proper Red. Swerve !!!

The problem with making signings like this is it - yet again - takes away the option of having lower pressure seasons where we show we're content to build and get better over time. You quite simply can't sign a load of players at or past their peak like him, Tarkowski and Gana and claim you're rebuilding and people have to be patient. If you sign players who are only going to be of value for a short period then you have to maximise their use in that period and try to achieve things while you've got them. After the Onana thing yesterday this feels like one step forward two steps back, it feels like we still have a very muddled recruitment strategy.
I think we are going for a mix of potential and experience which seems a good strategy.

Tarkowski and Coady are only 29, they will still have a fair few seasons left in them yet. Gana's athletic ability means he has a few seasons left too (unless he gets injury issues). We signed Barry at around 32 so this type of signing has been known to pay off for us in the past.

This signing would make a lot of sense to me. The guy is literally a defender and has proven leadership capabilities. We have neither of those in Keane, Holgate and Godfrey so this acquisition is in the "need" category. For the right price, I think we should go for this.

This signing would make a lot of sense to me. The guy is literally a defender and has proven leadership capabilities. We have neither of those in Keane, Holgate and Godfrey so this acquisition is in the "need" category. For the right price, I think we should go for this.
Him and Tarkowski is potentially a decently solid pairing.

Add Onana and possibly Gana in front of them and we not only have a midfield again, we’ll have an actual football team again.

I think we are going for a mix of potential and experience which seems a good strategy.

Tarkowski and Coady are only 29, they will still have a fair few seasons left in them yet. Gana's athletic ability means he has a few seasons left too (unless he gets injury issues). We signed Barry at around 32 so this type of signing has been known to pay off for us in the past.
Barry signed when we'd just finished 6th though, we weren't in a rebuilding phase and adding a bit of ready made quality to a side which had a lot of youth in it (Lukaku, Barkley, Deulofeu, Stones and McCarthy were all under 23) made a lot of sense. We desperately need to rebuild and we should take a couple of years to try to do that with younger players. I don't really see signing 2 29 year old centre halves and potentially wedding ourselves to a back 5 for the foreseeable future as a good step in that process.

It's not that I think he's awful or the signing will be a disaster or whatever, I just don't think it fits with what we're supposedly trying to do. I know we joke about the Thelwell thing but it does feel a bit like the outcome of our strategic review was to try to recreate the Wolves template of a couple of years ago which got them to 7th once and they've now decided is outdated.

Only makes sense if one or two of Mina/Keane/Holgate leaves…otherwise it’s just budget wasted when a forward is so glaringly the need.
He’d be better than what we have barring Tarkowski so it’s not a matter of being good enough, just having an already bloated squad.

Some people would rather see Keane heading into his own net or him and Holgate running into each other or Mina going off after 10 minutes.
That defence needs surgery ASAP...Coady on a loan makes sense to me despite his rs support...then sell Holgate and/or Keane.

Status
Not open for further replies.