Confirmed Signing Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolves fan in peace here. Never joined another teams forum before but such is the influence Conor Coady has had on our club I felt compelled to. He has been our leader on the pitch for our rise out of the Championship back to where us older supporters feel we belong. It was very sad to see him on the bench pre-season, playing second string friendlies, knowing that he wasn't going to get many minutes, if any, this season as we go to a back four. We all knew a move was inevitable.

So much I could say about Conor Coady, he has personified everything that has been great about our rise from Championship mediocrity over the last few years, his own journey has mirrored that of the club as a whole, from average midfielder, to stop gap right back to England International captain. I guess three things stand out for me:

1. When we scored, watching him sprint the length of the pitch to be first at the celebrations - passion for the club
2. His constant organising, cajoling, talking, shouting, encouraging - a leader amongst men
3. His joy at scoring, from Bolton to Villa and back to Molineux, his goals were a rarity but his joy was boundless - his pure connection with us supporters

I've ever seen a more honest professional and a more down to earth man, not that many of you will, but if you go onto the Wolves web site and dig around some of old behind the scenes media, you will always see Conor, centre of everything going on, equally as engaged with the tea lady as he is with the coach. He was the media face of the club and is a real leader on and off the pitch.

We are a decent club and it's been heartening that we've let Conor leave in such a way so he can pursue his chance of a World Cup dream. If he gets there everyone in gold and black will be rooting for him, and we'll be just as proud as you guys should he get on the pitch in Qatar.

Good luck Conor, we know you have to big up Everton now and thats the game, but you'll always be a Wolf.
You're going to be even more gutted when you see him playing in a back four for Everton.

Wolf Wolf!!!

Having thought about all this. I'm not sure we really needed him. I'm a firm believer that our defence is/was not as bad as people make out.

The back line is only as good as what is in front of them and I didn't see any complaints about the likes of Holgate and Keane when gueye was covering them around 3 years ago. If you take away someone like gueye and replace him with Andre gomes or Tom Davies your leaving your centre backs horribly exposed. I think tarky was a necessary signing for Minas injury record but if someone like Coady is deemed not good enough for Wolves (wolves fans saying hes slow and gets bullied by strikers) then why is it assumed he will be good enough for us. I suppose on a loan its OK because we don't have to make it permanent but I would imagine something around a £5 million fee has been made to secure him for the season.

Assuming onana and gueye go through I expect us to be certainly more solid this season. Especially with iwobi looking a lot better in a cm role. We desperately need quality up front though and perhaps another winger. I have faith Mcneil could improve under Frank but what if he doesn't? Gray can't be relied upon for consistency and Gordon could still improve but currently he's not getting the numbers required or a top half Premier league player.

Having thought about all this. I'm not sure we really needed him. I'm a firm believer that our defence is/was not as bad as people make out.

We need him. If we play three at the back, we currently have Holgate, Tarkowski and Keane.

Even if fans are happy to have both Keane and Holgate in the same back three, if one gets injured then what? Whole system would need changing.

To add, we set a league record for the number of different back line setups last season.

We need some stability there - it's why I suspect Tarkowski and Coady barely missing a kick in years was a big appeal.

It's very important at centre back, and makes a lot of sense. But every time Mina has come back from an injury, Lampard has put him back in the team only for him to break down again. I will be pretty surprised if he does that again because it isn't sustainable and makes it impossible to get a settled defence.

The back line is only as good as what is in front of them and I didn't see any complaints about the likes of Holgate and Keane when gueye was covering them around 3 years ago. If you take away someone like gueye and replace him with Andre gomes or Tom Davies your leaving your centre backs horribly exposed. I think tarky was a necessary signing for Minas injury record but if someone like Coady is deemed not good enough for Wolves (wolves fans saying hes slow and gets bullied by strikers) then why is it assumed he will be good enough for us. I suppose on a loan its OK because we don't have to make it permanent but I would imagine something around a £5 million fee has been made to secure him for the season.

Assuming onana and gueye go through I expect us to be certainly more solid this season. Especially with iwobi looking a lot better in a cm role. We desperately need quality up front though and perhaps another winger. I have faith Mcneil could improve under Frank but what if he doesn't? Gray can't be relied upon for consistency and Gordon could still improve but currently he's not getting the numbers required or a top half Premier league player.

We need him defo. Frank quickly identified the lack of heart in the team, and players like Coady have plenty of that

To add, we set a league record for the number of different back line setups last season.

We need some stability there - it's why I suspect Tarkowski and Coady barely missing a kick in years was a big appeal.
66 goals conceded...the most in a season since the early 1970s.

The DoF and manager would have had to be nuts not to recruit a minimum of 3 defenders.

We need him defo. Frank quickly identified the lack of heart in the team, and players like Coady have plenty of that
While I agree the midfield letting people stroll through has been a big part of our issues, I think the confidence issue of our old defence can't be understated. If something went against them they just fell apart. We need leaders as said above - people who'll actually rise to adversity not just completely fall apart like Keane did when things were against us. Coady and Tarkowski will make people like Keane and Holgate better players as they won't stand for those sorts of mistakes or fragility.

A good solid base should give the front line a platform to attack and press higher up the pitch. Effectively more chances and better control of the game.

Hence more goals.
Two strikers and no plan means we lose more games than we win; did you see us last season?

Giving away goals via set pieces for fun and a midfield with no bite and no mobility.

Strengthen that first, then get the striker.

That's a proper plan, not get in two strikers and two #10's and the midfield and defence is rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.