Confirmed Signing Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolves fan in peace here. Never joined another teams forum before but such is the influence Conor Coady has had on our club I felt compelled to. He has been our leader on the pitch for our rise out of the Championship back to where us older supporters feel we belong. It was very sad to see him on the bench pre-season, playing second string friendlies, knowing that he wasn't going to get many minutes, if any, this season as we go to a back four. We all knew a move was inevitable.

So much I could say about Conor Coady, he has personified everything that has been great about our rise from Championship mediocrity over the last few years, his own journey has mirrored that of the club as a whole, from average midfielder, to stop gap right back to England International captain. I guess three things stand out for me:

1. When we scored, watching him sprint the length of the pitch to be first at the celebrations - passion for the club
2. His constant organising, cajoling, talking, shouting, encouraging - a leader amongst men
3. His joy at scoring, from Bolton to Villa and back to Molineux, his goals were a rarity but his joy was boundless - his pure connection with us supporters

I've ever seen a more honest professional and a more down to earth man, not that many of you will, but if you go onto the Wolves web site and dig around some of old behind the scenes media, you will always see Conor, centre of everything going on, equally as engaged with the tea lady as he is with the coach. He was the media face of the club and is a real leader on and off the pitch.

We are a decent club and it's been heartening that we've let Conor leave in such a way so he can pursue his chance of a World Cup dream. If he gets there everyone in gold and black will be rooting for him, and we'll be just as proud as you guys should he get on the pitch in Qatar.

Good luck Conor, we know you have to big up Everton now and thats the game, but you'll always be a Wolf.
Great to read this. Thanks.

What would you say his strengths and weaknesses and the pitch are mate?
In a Teams meeting so will have to be brief:
Strengths:
  1. Leadership and organisation - ultimately he will become Frank's voice on the pitch if he's playing regularly, and will be a big influence in the dressing room.
  2. Reading the game and being in the right place. As a spare man he cover's other defenders well, most of his tackles are due to his positioning
  3. Passing - his range of passing is very good, we went inverted wingers but early Nuno with flying wingers and wing backs he was key to the way we counter attacked.
Weaknesses
  1. Pace - he's a bit one paced hence he drops deep - we have a problem coping with pressing teams and pacy strikers because of this
  2. Strength in the air - not great, targeted by teams with big forwards, Fulham basically had Mitrovic man mark him and bully him.

Screenshot_20220809_104013.jpg

Reading the Wolves fans they’re unanimous that they’ve let a dressing room leader go and have concerns about that.

Having said that, as a player, they’re all pretty much agreeing he’s their 3/4th best centre back and with the change of system to a back 4, he doesn’t get in the team.

That seems a bit strange, don’t know who their starting centre backs are but thought Coady was one of their better players. Hope we’re not signing another Ashley Williams, a good player but on the way down by the time he joined us.

Our captain, Conor Coady, were do I start, he’s without doubt the best leader of our pack during my lifetime( being going to the Mol since late 70,s), a true professional and a voice on the pitch and around the club, and above all a really top, decent block. He was signed as a midfielder but never really up to pace, he then did a job at right back. It was not until Nuno arrived that he cemented his position at the centre of a 3, and boy, this worked to the best of Coady’s ability, pinging long passes to our wingbacks and organising the teams instructions. In this position I believe there is only Eric Dier who can complete, but Coady’s organisation and leadership skills are second to none. Most fans are gutted he is leaving but teams get stale and need to evolve. I think the management team at Wolves understand what Coady’s given the club over the years hence the favourable terms of the deal, I must admit more favourable to you than us l!. Coady just wants to play, it’s WC year and he’s
Coady would have had a part to play with us this season, when flirting between a 4 or a 5 at the back, but as we try to evolve from our rigid system he’s sort of been downgraded to the bit part player who would only start in the centre of the back 3/5. Most Wolves fans believe he would struggle in a 4, he does get bullied by strong centre forwards and he is not the fastest, hence the importance of the other 2 defenders to compensate for this. Yes, he’s played for England in a 4, but look at the poor opposition he’s faced, where there been very little attacking intent.
I personally wish him all the best for the future and believe that he will be a success for you, if played to his strengths. Best of luck for the season and our loss is certainly your gain.

Our captain, Conor Coady, were do I start, he’s without doubt the best leader of our pack during my lifetime( being going to the Mol since late 70,s), a true professional and a voice on the pitch and around the club, and above all a really top, decent block. He was signed as a midfielder but never really up to pace, he then did a job at right back. It was not until Nuno arrived that he cemented his position at the centre of a 3, and boy, this worked to the best of Coady’s ability, pinging long passes to our wingbacks and organising the teams instructions. In this position I believe there is only Eric Dier who can complete, but Coady’s organisation and leadership skills are second to none. Most fans are gutted he is leaving but teams get stale and need to evolve. I think the management team at Wolves understand what Coady’s given the club over the years hence the favourable terms of the deal, I must admit more favourable to you than us l!. Coady just wants to play, it’s WC year and he’s
Coady would have had a part to play with us this season, when flirting between a 4 or a 5 at the back, but as we try to evolve from our rigid system he’s sort of been downgraded to the bit part player who would only start in the centre of the back 3/5. Most Wolves fans believe he would struggle in a 4, he does get bullied by strong centre forwards and he is not the fastest, hence the importance of the other 2 defenders to compensate for this. Yes, he’s played for England in a 4, but look at the poor opposition he’s faced, where there been very little attacking intent.
I personally wish him all the best for the future and believe that he will be a success for you, if played to his strengths. Best of luck for the season and our loss is certainly your gain.
If I have learnt one thing since Moyes left, there is nothing wrong with rigid systems that hardly concede, you might regret losing the defensive aspects of the Wolves identify in the pursuit of flair, give me your 43 goals against any day.

Interested in peoples view if we had a back five with the following back 3:-

Mina Coady Tarko

Is there enough speed? are the players too similar? etc

I personally feel it works and would prove difficult to break down, a world away from the combination of Keane, Godfrey and Holgate. It would have a high level of communication, experience, height, good on the ball etc (if .... Mina stayed fit)

Reading the Wolves fans they’re unanimous that they’ve let a dressing room leader go and have concerns about that.

Having said that, as a player, they’re all pretty much agreeing he’s their 3/4th best centre back and with the change of system to a back 4, he doesn’t get in the team.

That seems a bit strange, don’t know who their starting centre backs are but thought Coady was one of their better players. Hope we’re not signing another Ashley Williams, a good player but on the way down by the time he joined us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coady's lack of pace means he doesn't work well in a back four, He can and has played in that system and done so successfully. But if the lines get broken, he aint getting back to cover. As a sweeper he is perfect, reads the games, organises, and plays excellent balls out of defence. As for who is at Wolves, We have Kilman, absolute top defender (should be in the England squad imo) We have just bought Collins from Burnley, who is highly rated, and seems to be the player pencilled in to partner Kilman.

We also have Mosquera, a player bought last year, has had very little first team experience due to injury, but looks good, Toti, who was called back from loan when injuries left us with little choice. Wolves fans knew nothing about him, but he stepped in and did little wrong, and we have Boly, who has been the go to defender since promotion. Last year he had Covid, and then long Covid, and didn't see much of him last season, but seems to have got over it now. So all in all we are well covered at the back, In a back four I would play any of them over Coady, In a back five Coady would be the first on my list, Plays the sweeper role over any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.