Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Copa América 2024

80 total caps among 5 national team forwards. 15 total goals, this is a haul that isn't good enough for the Faroe Islands. They aren't chokers, just abject terrible at the most important position.
For decades? This is a country with almost 3x the population of Argentina. I’m crying in my loss I get it. But in terms of population, wealth, and interest, they are by far the biggest underachievers in the international game.

If this gets Greggggggggggggggggg the sack we will have won by losing
The bad news…obviously embarrassing that we’re likely out in the group stage. The good news…this probably means that Berhalter won’t be managing the team at the 2026 WC.
I don't think it's realistic to get Berhalter out from a third-place finish on three points, but I would take that result.

The real Yank carpetbagger whatevers are the US Soccer Federation
It was a mess before Gulati, but that's when it morphed into its present parasitic, could-care-less-about-results form. All the USSF cares about is driving revenue, the better to drain the pool without killing the host. Its health is incidental.

Talent wise we’re top 20, but we can’t attract anyone but a loser manager? Doesn’t add up. And yes I’ve had a few beers
USSF only cares about how much money they can make off supporters. Look at what they charge to attend third tier matches, it's outrageous. Then they wait an entire year and watch the team put in a series of genuinely good performances with an interim coach and decide, nope let's go back to the bumbling idiot we had before. Corrupt and embarrassing, the only difference between them and the Everton board is they have a little bit of business sense. And no I've had zero beers

For decades? This is a country with almost 3x the population of Argentina. I’m crying in my loss I get it. But in terms of population, wealth, and interest, they are by far the biggest underachievers in the international game.
Over decades yea, right now tho they probably have the worst forwards in this tourney. Mexico needs a Blue Lock program

I don't think it's realistic to get Berhalter out from a third-place finish on three points, but I would take that result.

It was a mess before Gulati, but that's when it morphed into its present parasitic, could-care-less-about-results form. All the USSF cares about is driving revenue, the better to drain the pool without killing the host. Its health is incidental.
Absolute truth. Which is why every important game we ever play seems to be in Dallas, Phoenix, LA, or Vegas where we end up as the de facto away side because that’s where they know they’ll sell the most tickets.

I remember having a conversation with @TheBigIguana during the 2022 World Cup in which I was reliably informed that the USA were an up and coming sleeping giant and had a squad of top young players ready to blossom, and England’s 0-0 draw against them was actually a great result. How is this situation developing? These lads must be some team by now.

I remember having a conversation with @TheBigIguana during the 2022 World Cup in which I was reliably informed that the USA were an up and coming sleeping giant and had a squad of top young players ready to blossom, and England’s 0-0 draw against them was actually a great result. How is this situation developing? These lads must be some team by now.
This is why you should be more grateful for Southgate though. These types of results. He doesn’t have them.

Oh he does. 0-0 against Scotland, 0-4 against Hungary, 0-0 against USA, 0-0 against Slovenia.

Thankfully our players tend to be better than their opponents 98% of the time so that sort of helps.
All 3 of those 0-0s contributed to winning a group so…

I’m serious though, not losing to teams that you’re better than is genuinely good management. This US team has the players to make a semi-final here and instead is going out in the group maybe. Pretty easy to see why.

All 3 of those 0-0s contributed to winning a group so…

I’m serious though, not losing to teams that you’re better than is genuinely good management. This US team has the players to make a semi-final here and instead is going out in the group maybe. Pretty easy to see why.
One thing you can say for Southgate is groups stages have been much more serene under him than a lot of previous England managers. Even the group we didn’t win under him in 2018 there was no need to win that anyway considering how the draw had played out

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back