Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Copa América 2024

One thing you can say for Southgate is groups stages have been much more serene under him than a lot of previous England managers. Even the group we didn’t win under him in 2018 there was no need to win that anyway considering how the draw had played out

I’m sure that’ll go in his favour when looking for his next job.

All 3 of those 0-0s contributed to winning a group so…

I’m serious though, not losing to teams that you’re better than is genuinely good management. This US team has the players to make a semi-final here and instead is going out in the group maybe. Pretty easy to see why.
Gregg sucks but the main reason why is Tim Weah losing his marbles for about 10 seconds. 11 v 11 and it’s a comfortable win last night and the Uruguay game is meaningless.

Took a couple of months for Marsch to prove he’s superior to Gregg
Seems a touch harsh. Canada received a gift of a group and came through gasping in second place. The US drew a tricky affair and is in big trouble, but is not yet out.

Berhalter isn't the answer, but that judgment rests on his body of work, and not just one idiot red card he can't control.

Seems a touch harsh. Canada received a gift of a group and came through gasping in second place. The US drew a tricky affair and is in big trouble, but is not yet out.

Berhalter isn't the answer, but that judgment rests on his body of work, and not just one idiot red card he can't control.
Chile and Peru are better than Panama and Bolivia and I’m not even sure what the argument is the other way

Chile and Peru are better than Panama and Bolivia and I’m not even sure what the argument is the other way
Bolivia is so bad that it's a problem. It renders a slip-up against Panama most likely fatal, and a draw with Panama means second place is decided on running up the score on Bolivia and damage limitation against Uruguay.

Bolivia is so bad that it's a problem. It renders a slip-up against Panama most likely fatal, and a draw with Panama means second place is decided on running up the score on Bolivia and damage limitation against Uruguay.
But Panama are well worse than Peru and Chile too. Being better than two competent teams is the harder task.

But Panama are well worse than Peru and Chile too. Being better than two competent teams is the harder task.
Have you ever played a strategy game with more than two players? An incompetent player at the table can swing the result, even if you play flawlessly.

If I think I have the clear best team among the also-rans, I would much rather have two meaningful games than one. It affords a better opportunity to recover from a moment of madness like a red card, and distributes the risks.

It's the lesser team that prefers a group like ours, because it provides the best chance to sneak through.

Have you ever played a strategy game with more than two players? An incompetent player at the table can swing the result, even if you play flawlessly.

If I think I have the clear best team among the also-rans, I would much rather have two meaningful games than one. It affords a better opportunity to recover from a moment of madness like a red card, and distributes the risks.

It's the lesser team that prefers a group like ours, because it provides the best chance to sneak through.
This is crazy overthinking. Gregg had to beat two inferior teams with vastly superior talent and Marsch had to beat two better teams with maybe equal talent. There’s not complicated strategy here mate.

Neither game was meaningful! Beat Panama!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back