Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Copa América 2024

So if we recap the prep and the tournament…We got drubbed 5-1 to Colombia. We had a decent 1-1 against Brazil where we scored off a free kick. A meh showing against the worst team in the tournament that we won 2-0. An embarrassment against a Panama side that even with 10 we should still at least manage a draw and lost 2-1. And a do or die where the guys worked hard against an awful ref and a good side but couldn’t hardly manage a shot the entire game. Top that off with the fact that Gregg has never actually beaten a decent team in his 6 years or whatever and I don’t know what “review” looks at his body of work and says it’s good enough. He’s barely .500 since he returned. Crocker and co need to admit they were wrong and fix it before we blow our biggest chance ever at a World Cup in 2 years. At worst, a guy like Cherundolo is a step up. At best, get someone with actual pedigree. This ain’t it.

He was gassed after 60 minutes. A lot of sprinting, he should have been taken off.

The only player in the group that is good enough and fits the way Dyche plays is Adams.

In terms of talent, the obvious are Pulisic and Reyna, then Robinson and perhaps Musah. Pepi has a chance but needs more game time at club level.

I'm not a huge fan of Weah. I appreciate his direct play but far too often there's no end product. The team operated better with Pulisic on the right and Reyna on the left.
Robinson/Pulisic are everyday players. Pulisic could even the be best player on a mid-table club.

Adams - our D is fine.

Reyna-Dyche, Dest-Dyche - matter meet antimatter

really the majority of our national team players are bench guys on a mid-lower table prem side, just trying to find on the ones who could fit in.

Robinson/Pulisic are everyday players. Pulisic could even the be best player on a mid-table club.

Adams - our D is fine.

really the majority of our national team players are bench guys on a mid-lower table prem side, just trying to find on the ones who could fit in.
Not sure about that, three of our back four (which to me has been a weak spot overall) are regular starters on mid-table PL clubs. Scally is 2nd choice for USMNT, but a regular starter at 21 at the big club in Germany.

Midfield: Juventus, Milan, Bournemouth, Dortmund.

Forwards etc.

I understand we're not Spain, Germany, England etc., and there's no one world class player on the squad, but there is so much talent on this team compared to 10, 20, 30 years ago, it's amazing. We've probably taken a step back with the manager, however.

Adams - our D is fine.

Pulisic is the best outfield player to ever come out of the states. Far and away the best technical ability. He's a different level to everyone else on the national team.

It really was a shame that he had to go to that Chelsea dumpster fire of all the big PL sides - that club is just a mess and I don't think he ever truly could have succeeded there.

Honestly I fear he really could have succeeded under the Klopp regime - that would have been a great fit for him

You should be grateful that you got out of the groups at the last World Cup. Old Gregg deserves more respect, no manager has done better than him in the last 20 years. The national sport in the USA isn’t football so what’s he supposed to do really?
This isn't true.

We've gone to the World Cup quarters and made numerous Rounds of 16 with much less talent than this current squad. We made those rounds and got out of the groups with American ingenuity and trying hard - and virtually no skill in the attacking positions.

We actually do have talent now, or at least much more in midfield than ever before.

So yes, Gregg should be doing more with that

This isn't true.

We've gone to the World Cup quarters and made numerous Rounds of 16 with much less talent than this current squad. We made those rounds and got out of the groups with American ingenuity and trying hard - and virtually no skill in the attacking positions.

We actually do have talent now, or at least much more in midfield than ever before.

So yes, Gregg should be doing more with that

Where is the talent in this squad?

Where is the talent in this squad?
Pulisic - regularly starts for Milan.
Musah - regularly starts for Milan
McKennie - regularly starts for Juventus
Tim Weah - regularly starts for Juventus
Gio Reyna - regular minutes at Dortmund, loaned to the Forest dumpster fire. There is talent there
Balogun - Was at Arsenal
Serginio Dest - made 51 appearances for Barcelona. That one

20 years ago virtually no US players other than Goalkeepers were seriously considered at clubs like these

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back