Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Coventry City v Everton, Tues 30th July, 7.45pm

Some of our fans are embarrassing. It’s a training session.
Indeed. The result doesn’t matter, but even in training sessions you expect to see quality at an individual level and some cohesion within the team. We’ve seen neither. So yeah, it doesn’t matter but that doesn’t change the fact that the players themselves look poor and don’t seem to know what they’re being asked to do. It’s a bad combination, and the reality is when we’ve seen similar in recent years, the actual season follows suit.

Granted, I haven't been able to watch any of the games thus far, so take this with a grain of salt.

So much of our "success" under Dyche is solely from 1) being fitter than other teams, 2) being able to out grind teams - scraping and clawing for every ball and 3) having a very strong spine of Pickford, JB and Tarks.

Preseason walkabouts aren't conducive to showing any of these 3 points. The whole point is to not get injured, don't go too hard now, try to peak for the season. Our spine has barely played. For example, I saw Coventry's first goal yesterday - that goal simply doesn't happen with Tarks/JB there.

We don't have a lot of quality as is, it's not our strength. Our strength, if we have one, is creating a sum greater than its parts through the hard yards and graft.

So simply due to this, I wouldn't look too much into preseason glorified training sessions. I would, however, expect us to look much better with Pickford/JB/Tarks all playing in the final game of preseason.

Indeed. The result doesn’t matter, but even in training sessions you expect to see quality at an individual level and some cohesion within the team. We’ve seen neither. So yeah, it doesn’t matter but that doesn’t change the fact that the players themselves look poor and don’t seem to know what they’re being asked to do. It’s a bad combination, and the reality is when we’ve seen similar in recent years, the actual season follows suit.
And we have had good pre season results in the past and started the season awful. It really doesn’t matter at all.

I wish none of these games were publicised or televised. It’s simply the manager saying.
Don’t worry lads. Just get some running in.

Granted, I haven't been able to watch any of the games thus far, so take this with a grain of salt.

So much of our "success" under Dyche is solely from 1) being fitter than other teams, 2) being able to out grind teams - scraping and clawing for every ball and 3) having a very strong spine of Pickford, JB and Tarks.

Preseason walkabouts aren't conducive to showing any of these 3 points. The whole point is to not get injured, don't go too hard now, try to peak for the season. Our spine has barely played. For example, I saw Coventry's first goal yesterday - that goal simply doesn't happen with Tarks/JB there.

We don't have a lot of quality as is, it's not our strength. Our strength, if we have one, is creating a sum greater than its parts through the hard yards and graft.

So simply due to this, I wouldn't look too much into preseason glorified training sessions. I would, however, expect us to look much better with Pickford/JB/Tarks all playing in the final game of preseason.
You're right - we'd have clung on for a 0-0 with the defence back. Last night's team could quite easily be a team we'd field in Carabao Cup

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back