Crystal Palace v Everton 31 January 2015 - From the Palace end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez learning that sometimes you have to win ugly.All the best all round teams do it when they need to do it. Isn't that four games unbeaten? To me, Martinez ability to learn, despite him being so strong on his 'philosophy' will define his whole management career.
I think we played a very dynamic game today, most of it was very in line with his "philosophy" - defenders passing back to the keeper, carefully crafting breaks when we win possession in our own half instead of booting it clear, several passes around the opposition box instead of a direct approach, etc.

The difference though was there were periods where we didn't do that. For the next ~15 or so after the goal, almost every pass was forward and our possession suffered as a result when we gave it away. I can't break down the phases very well, but we were not predictable in our style and it made it very difficult for Palace to adjust.

Of course, we were aided by the fact that Palace weren't very sharp in the final third, and didn't press very well after the first 30 or so.

Also, I think we fans have a huge bias for results when it comes to evaluating teams. If Jagielka hadn't cleared that one ball off the line, but everything else went the same, I'm sure several on here would be screaming for Martinez's head.

OMG OMG OMG I'M GOING TO BE SO HAPPY THAT BESIC WILL CHOMPING AT THE BIT WHEN HE COMES ON IN THE 92ND MINUTE.

Seriously though I'm going to do my best to convince myself that Liverpools defense will give up 2 counterattacking goals and we'll win 2-1.
Maybe I'm idealistic, but we played 3 midfielders today, I could see McCarthy playing midfield with Besic and Barry and Naismith moving higher up the pitch (bench Mirallas or McGeady).

I like Dwight Gayle as a player, great speed and a good brain. No idea why anyone would sign Sanogo and make Gayle play left wing. Blows my mind.
Gayle scored 2 against Burnley from that position tbf. Not convinced on Sanogo at all though
Cheers mate... It was an ugly match to watch from both teams...
Yeah, it was a dull game really. I think we'll both stay up (QPR, Leicester and Villa going down for me) but after watchign that, I wouldn't put money on it.

OMG OMG OMG I'M GOING TO BE SO HAPPY THAT BESIC WILL CHOMPING AT THE BIT WHEN HE COMES ON IN THE 92ND MINUTE.

Seriously though I'm going to do my best to convince myself that Liverpools defense will give up 2 counterattacking goals and we'll win 2-1.
I love optimism, I love that we won at last and I love that our next game is at Goodison against the poo under lights
I think you could be right Rook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back