Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Cuco Martina

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he's a defender

Who can't defend

But apparently can cross?

Surely the most important aspect of a defender is being able to defend. Anything else is a bonus. How anyone can justify this signing is beyond me

Southampton released him for a reason
Southampton rarely used him for a reason
The top six including city who were desperate for wing backs... didn't want him
Even Reading changed their minds about him..

Alarm Bell

So he's a defender

Who can't defend

Surely the most important aspect of a defender is being able to defend. Anything else is a bonus. How anyone can justify this signing is beyond me

Alarm Bell

We get it. You don't rate him. You think it was a mistake to sign him.

You've posted 19 times in this thread. We got it.

So he's a defender

Who can't defend

Alarm Bell

I did say all of this when we were first linked.

Same old posters replying how 'Koeman knows bsst', 'Wait till he's in an Everton shirt' etc

Pathetic signing

I did say all of this when we were first linked.

Same old posters replying how 'Koeman knows bsst', 'Wait till he's in an Everton shirt' etc

Pathetic signing

..the thing that disappoints me is the potential impact on Jonjo Kenny. I appreciate it's the managers decision to pick what he believes is his best X1, but I hoped Kenny would get a run of games. I can only assume the Manager is uncertain about the youngster.

Alongside Rooney he is the other signing I have misgivings about. I just thought it sent out a terrible message. Holgate showed last season he can do a job there and Kenny has real potential so signing this guy on a 3 year deal was a poor decision in my opinion

I think people are going a bit over the top about him to be honest, he got well up the pitch supported the inside forward well. Looked game.
While regularly and almost nonchalantly being flummoxed by a Slovakian team of no marks to the point where it was becoming embarrassing.

I'm genuinely the type of person who'll advocate giving a player time to adapt and embed, but his performance in the mainstay was truly shocking.

I hope he improves and it was a one off, however considering that performance and the laughs of many Southampton fans I'm not very confident.

While regularly and almost nonchalantly being flummoxed by a Slovakian team of no marks to the point where it was becoming embarrassing.

I'm genuinely the type of person who'll advocate giving a player time to adapt and embed, but his performance in the mainstay was truly shocking.

I hope he improves and it was a one off, however considering that performance and the laughs of many Southampton fans I'm not very confident.
I watched the game and my feeling was he's just way to casual late in the game he wasn't even sweating, as with tackling he looked like he was worried about getting injured, I think if his work ethic improve he could be ok. He can cross a half decent ball though.

I think he needs a little bit of lee way to be honest, lets be honest it was his first game for us and as a defender its important that you work as a unit. Hes probably had 5 training session with the back four. The full back position in modern terms is one that requires descisve decision making, when to stick and to twist. I suspect we did paper thin research on the Slovaks id say we were surprised how deep they played and how they countered.

I dont think he was as terrible as people make out and thought he gave us good width.

Is he a better offensive right back than holgate? Yes. Is he a better defensive right back than holgate... oh my god no.

Could see why koeman wanted someone instead of holgate as he just cant add to the modern day attack.in fairness holgate looks like a center back and could be a top 1 some day. Not fair on him to expect him to be a coleman

But martina, he will get creamed in the premier bigger matches. They will target him big style if he plays. Waste of a signing from day 1.

He cant live in the past. Abraders is spot on, he cant cross a ball now.
Martina can't do anything besides crossing. He can't tackle, mark, pass, he even has a weird waddley running style and his positioning is awful. He got turned by a Slovakian farmer more times than a fullback should be turned in a months worth of games. But let's rag on Baines, the lad who scored the goal that gives us a chance of saving our blushes. Yes, he's not the player he was but supporting a post saying he should be more like the excuse of a player like Martina is bizarre.

So let's pick on one.player in Martina, even though the whole defence was utterly shocking. Let alone the midfield, attack etc..

Martina can't do anything besides crossing. He can't tackle, mark, pass, he even has a weird waddley running style and his positioning is awful. He got turned by a Slovakian farmer more times than a fullback should be turned in a months worth of games. But let's rag on Baines, the lad who scored the goal that gives us a chance of saving our blushes. Yes, he's not the player he was but supporting a post saying he should be more like the excuse of a player like Martina is bizarre.
You've clearly taken the post the wrong way.

I dissected martina within it. Never said Baines should be more like Martina, but that I wish he'd cross like him.. why? Because he literally pinged some balls into the box in the same style and quality of what Baines used to. Yet most of you are crying about my comment and twisting it.

I think he needs a little bit of lee way to be honest, lets be honest it was his first game for us and as a defender its important that you work as a unit. Hes probably had 5 training session with the back four. The full back position in modern terms is one that requires descisve decision making, when to stick and to twist. I suspect we did paper thin research on the Slovaks id say we were surprised how deep they played and how they countered.

I dont think he was as terrible as people make out and thought he gave us good width.

Agree it takes time to gel as a defensive unit when they haven't played together much, the worrying thing was his positional play though mate, at one point they were attacking, the ball got put through down their left and Martina was virtually standing on the half way line nowhere near play, his awareness of what was going on around him was zilch, everytime they attacked down his side he was all over the gaff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back