Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Cuco Martina

Status
Not open for further replies.
..the thing that disappoints me is the potential impact on Jonjo Kenny. I appreciate it's the managers decision to pick what he believes is his best X1, but I hoped Kenny would get a run of games. I can only assume the Manager is uncertain about the youngster.

Kenny came back from the u20s so I was wrongly assuming the only reason he wouldn't play is if he was still 'tired'.

However that myth was put to bed with DCL starting.

Have to say Koeman has totally lost his mind giving Cuco a 3 year deal when Holgate and Kenny are far better and Connolly would is also not a totally donkey like cuco.

Disgrace of a signing and hope he never plays another minute...

Kenny came back from the u20s so I was wrongly assuming the only reason he wouldn't play is if he was still 'tired'.

However that myth was put to bed with DCL starting.

Have to say Koeman has totally lost his mind giving Cuco a 3 year deal when Holgate and Kenny are far better and Connolly would is also not a totally donkey like cuco.

Disgrace of a signing and hope he never plays another minute...

..I'm not going that far until the lad has had a good run of games but I agree it will be disappointing if Kenny isn't given an opportunity. What I did notice with Martina was the number of times he was close to his opposite number but still didn't block the cross coming in. Very basic and very concerning.

..I'm not going that far until the lad has had a good run of games but I agree it will be disappointing if Kenny isn't given an opportunity. What I did notice with Martina was the number of times he was close to his opposite number but still didn't block the cross coming in. Very basic and very concerning.

Quite frankly it would be disturbing if we spent or did a deal for a RB who wasn't far superior to Holgate/Kenny anyway.
Why sign a limited player to block Kenny/Holgates progress?

Even more bizarre as both got u21 and u20 caps as 1st choices internationally...

Dare I say it....................looked lazy, especially when he got turned for fun on a few occasions.

While regularly and almost nonchalantly being flummoxed by a Slovakian team of no marks to the point where it was becoming embarrassing.

I'm genuinely the type of person who'll advocate giving a player time to adapt and embed, but his performance in the mainstay was truly shocking.

I hope he improves and it was a one off, however considering that performance and the laughs of many Southampton fans I'm not very confident.
I'am the same as far as not jumping the gun on players but his performance the other night was atrocious.

They nearly scored at the end due to him closing his eyes an turning away instead of jumping with their centre half and allowing him to nod it down.

If i was Kenny 20 years old or not i would have been into Koeman the next morning.

on 2 fronts, the player being crap and the fact koeman keeps signing him. going by some of the names we've been linked with and signed in his time i dont think ronald is a very good judge of a player.

Quite frankly it would be disturbing if we spent or did a deal for a RB who wasn't far superior to Holgate/Kenny anyway.

Even more bizarre as both got u21 and u20 caps as 1st choices internationally...

Because Ronald Koeman sees them every day, gets regular updates on their development from the U23 manager, will have them analysed to identify their weaknesses and knows exactly what they are capable of and if they are ready for the step up.

Finally, he's been involved in football for the last 30 years, played with some of the greatest players of a generation and knows a lot more about football than Fifa playing Virgins on a forum

..it is a strange signing. Only time will tell if it's a good one. The only thing I could think of was that he wanted more experience in the dressing room, although we appear to have plenty of that in the back four. Another pointer might be height, Martina is a tall lad but I don't know if that will lend itself to an advantage in either penalty box.

Thought he was signed as a utility defender, in the absence of Coleman and Kenny not Koamen fit yet!, Cuco finds himself starting, all fit he will be a important squad player for what could be a very long season!

Because Ronald Koeman sees them every day, gets regular updates on their development from the U23 manager, will have them analysed to identify their weaknesses and knows exactly what they are capable of and if they are ready for the step up.

Finally, he's been involved in football for the last 30 years, played with some of the greatest players of a generation and knows a lot more about football than Fifa playing Virgins on a forum

i take it you'd like shearer as our next manager then

So let's pick on one.player in Martina, even though the whole defence was utterly shocking. Let alone the midfield, attack etc..
Firstly, while we played below par and part of that was the defence I've highlighted Martina because unfortunately his performance was the worst.

And personally I'd say by far! Williams for example looked sluggish and unsure along with other players, but Martina looked out of his depth.

Like I've said, I sincerely hope that it was a one off and he improves but there were far too many elements to his game that gave serious alarm.

The other players, while I'm not excusing their performances, I am confident will improve with game time and training; less so with him.

Firstly, while we played below par and part of that was the defence I've highlighted Martina because unfortunately his performance was the worst.

And personally I'd say by far! Williams for example looked sluggish and unsure along with other players, but Martina looked out of his depth.

Like I've said, I sincerely hope that it was a one off and he improves but there were far too many elements to his game that gave serious alarm.
Fair do's!

Think if we're going to give all the other lads time to gel with the team though we need to be consistent and let him gel too.

Never saying he's a world beater either, I thought and also highlighted that his defending was suspect... to say the least.

His attacking play was decent though and if the forwards could've brought him into the game more in thr first half then we could've done some more damage to Ruzomberok.

I've also said I believe we'll use him at first to try and avoid throwing kenny into the deep end, given our opening fixture list

But even you have to question why DCL gets a start more times than not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back