Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Cuco Martina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will reserve judgement on Baines crossing until i see us with someone who can actually attack a ball up front mate, IF we get someone like Giroud then i would expect Baines to be throwing them in all day long - half the problem atm is IF he was crossing loads then it'd be pretty pointless
There's a hell of a difference between throwing them in and driving them with pace and accuracy. He used to have that but I dont see it too much these days.

I did say all of this when we were first linked.

Same old posters replying how 'Koeman knows bsst', 'Wait till he's in an Everton shirt' etc

Pathetic signing

It is a sign we only have money available from any player sales

Come September 1st I'm more or less certain our net spend will be max 20m positive. Even Huddersfield are out spending us. We have a rich owner but he isn't willing to throw money in

I can't believe people on here justifying signing a defender because he can cross.

Surely the most important thing is can he actually defend first?

Would you sign a striker who can't score but can take long throws? Ridiculous

The ability to cross or strike a ball would be the last footballing asset to go..
Not really. To deliver a telling cross it has to be whipped in with accuracy while on a flat out run...Baines doesn't have that explosive input into the ball anymore. I think injuries have robbed him of this capability.

The ability to cross or strike a ball would be the last footballing asset to go..

I'm prepared to give him benefit of doubt until he is match fit, still Holgate and kenny to fill in.

He is match fit mate, came straight here from some crap tournament his country was playing in

I can't believe people on here justifying signing a defender because he can cross.

Surely the most important thing is can he actually defend first?

Would you sign a striker who can't score but can take long throws? Ridiculous
I don't get why people are saying he can cross. His delivery on Thursday was poor.

There's a hell of a difference between throwing them in and driving them with pace and accuracy. He used to have that but I dont see it too much these days.
Simply from my own observations, firstly I'd suggest that the frequency of Baines attempting crosses has dwindled over the last few seasons.

When he does actually cross, they often seem to be 'flat' and are often after some pondering; those quick, whipped crosses are no longer common.

Still, I'd much rather have Baines marauding up the wing than anyone else even if age and injuries are slightly catching up with him.

The strangest thing here is that no one has mentioned Kenny's crossing at the world cup.

It was very good.
By all accounts it was boss.

I'm sticking with my theory he doesn't want to throw kenny in the deep end with our opening fixtures, therefore let martina play. After our first 6 games or so barring injury to cuco, we will start to see kenny getting involved

Kenny not starting on Thursday was astonishing.
Not really. It was very clear that Koeman wanted to put out a safe and experienced team to avoid any surprises. He clearly looked at the early fixture and said "I dont want to play inexperienced players, or those who havent had enough time in training yet". In the end, he got a safe result, it would have been astonishing to see Kenny in the side.

Simply from my own observations, firstly I'd suggest that the frequency of Baines attempting crosses has dwindled over the last few seasons.

When he does actually cross, they often seem to be 'flat' and are often after some pondering; those quick, whipped crosses are no longer common.

Still, I'd much rather have Baines marauding up the wing than anyone else even if age and injuries are slightly catching up with him.
I think we need to change up pretty fast. If we got someone in like Bertrand, for example, it'd take less than a game for everyone to appreciate just how poorly we're being served now by Baines.

It really is just sentimental old tosh keeping him on as a starter. If the likes of Baines are starting games for Everton it's a sure sign that we're not serious about progressing.

Just get a starting LB in and demote Baines to the bench. That's what any top club would do.

I think we need to change up pretty fast. If we got someone in like Bertrand, for example, it'd take less than a game for everyone to appreciate just how poorly we're being served now by Baines.

It really is just sentimental old tosh keeping him on as a starter. If the likes of Baines are starting games for Everton it's a sure sign that we're not serious about progressing.

Just get a starting LB in and demote Baines to the bench. That's what any top club would do.

Lets drop our match winning LB, great plan Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back