Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Cuco Martina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as how Koeman is setting us up with a fairly narrow three or four in attack, it seems pretty clear that any system will rely on our full backs pushing very high up the pitch to provide width. I suppose that's where Martina's signing makes sense, as he's obviously useful in attack. Much prefer to see him in the opposition half than ours.

Where was he at fault there specifically? The gap between him and Mirallas was massive and he did enough to bring the player inside. Our other defenders had the chance to do better there themselves, it's not all on him.
When I was a kid I started as a full back. I clearly remember having it drummed into me "show him the outside, show him the outside". Do they do things differently now?

When I was a kid I started as a full back. I clearly remember having it drummed into me "show him the outside, show him the outside". Do they do things differently now?
Not sure how Koeman would like us to play, but yeah it is quite common now for full backs to be told to bring a player inside. The theory being that they will run into trouble, won't be able to use their pace, and are likely to be coming on to their weaker foot.

Not sure how Koeman would like us to play, but yeah it is quite common now for full backs to be told to bring a player inside. The theory being that they will run into trouble, won't be able to use their pace, and are likely to be coming on to their weaker foot.
I would say that's a pretty dangerous tactic given the modern trend for inverted wingers. Would also explain why so few full backs seem capable of cutting out crosses anymore. Actually one of the things that Jonjoe is pretty good at.

I would say that's a pretty dangerous tactic given the modern trend for inverted wingers. Would also explain why so few full backs seem capable of cutting out crosses anymore. Actually one of the things that Jonjoe is pretty good at.
I think to be fair it's one of those things that just seems counter-intuitive when you've always been told to do things a certain way. It's like I'll never get my head round cricketers taking the ball in front of the stumps for a run out or taking catches with the fingers pointing up. If you were coached that way it makes perfect sense, if you weren't it seems crazy.

We had other players back at that point and he forced him inside to face up to said players. Collectively they didn't do enough to stop them.

We had other players back at that point and he forced him inside to face up to said players. Collectively they didn't do enough to stop them.
Wasn't blaming him for the goal mate. I was questioning the tactic of offering the player inside when I was brought up to do the opposite.

I'm a big Kenny fan so I was against us signing him in the first place. But I thought he did well overall yesterday and was quite surprised by his performance in possession, which was the complete opposite of what I saw in the first leg against the Slovakians when I thought he was extremely indecisive in possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back