Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Cuco Martina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who needs a reason to doubt Moshiri here's the reason.

He was bought as our starting right back/first choice cover at the start of the season and wasn't replaced in January when he had became by default our starting LB.

None of which I found surprising.

He still hasn't learnt to tackle with the correct foot either.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I saw two of our fans almost come to blows after Cuco today. It was mental. The one lad (admittedly very drunk) was giving him grief and the other turned around and said, and I’m paraphrasing “wtf do you expect him to do?! Beat three men, cut inside and hit a screamer from twenty five yards?! He’s a square peg in a round hole and he’s not done a single thing wrong today!”

He was entirely correct. Cuco has become a whipping boy amongst a sub section of our fans, who hurl abuse on a hardworking professional who does his best as the THIRD CHOICE RIGHT BACK forced to play left back for damn near a whole season because Koeman, Walsh, Kenwright, Moshire and fat sam decided we have never needed another left back than the injured and rapidly diminishing Baines.

Cuco playing left back for nearly an entire season is indicative of the failings in the management of our club, not of his heart or commitment. I have alway said that whether you’re world class or bang average as a player, if you run hard and try your best, we recognise and appreciate you and you’re lauded accordingly. See Niasse or Stracq or any number through or history. But it’s not true anymore. If you’re a carpenter and suddenly someone forced you to be a plumber next week, would you fix every leak? If you’re an accountant and someone threw you into court as a barrister, would you win your case? Of course not, so don’t try and blame Cuco for the failings of the appalling senior management at the club!
I agree with you on all of this apart from "3rd choice right back".

Koeman didn't rate Kenny and Coleman had a broken leg. He was bought as our first choice right back.

The WORST thing is he did brilliantly against Del and with his general defending causing him to throw his toys out the pram and sub himself.

The mistake to first come over to the middle and then NOT head the ball is woeful though.

That is us at the moment. Some good and some woeful football.

He just isn’t good enough. We desperately need baines and Coleman back.

Martina slows down every attack and passes it sideways or backwards because he isn’t left footed.

Beyond incompetent that we still haven’t bought a lb.

Anyone who needs a reason to doubt Moshiri here's the reason.

He was bought as our starting right back/first choice cover at the start of the season and wasn't replaced in January when he had became by default our starting LB.

None of which I found surprising.

He still hasn't learnt to tackle with the correct foot either.
That isn't moshiris fault is it? It's koeman/Walsh..they decided to spent 23 mill on klassen...that would have bought a decent right back and maybe a promising left back as well

That isn't moshiris fault is it? It's koeman/Walsh..they decided to spent 23 mill on klassen...that would have bought a decent right back and maybe a promising left back as well
I know and that's the bit I don't understand.

All I can guess is that they thought he would be worth more to the club than a new RB. Maybe they thought they were buying a top quality player who was seriously undervalued. A player they could sell in a couple of seasons for twice what was paid. His goal scoring record was impressive. They probably thought Martina would do until Coleman got back.

Sandro seemed like another signing that was bought because they thought his cost was lower than his value.

Maybe even Tosun too.

It reeks of moneyball and a club buying players based on expected sell on value.

Walcott, Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Williams, Bolasie and Martina are the players I think were bought because the manager wanted them.

But who knows. It's hard to find any sense in our transfer dealings.

I agree with you on all of this apart from "3rd choice right back".

Koeman didn't rate Kenny and Coleman had a broken leg. He was bought as our first choice right back.

Coleman having a broken leg doesn’t mean that he wasn’t still first choice. Cuco was only ever meant to be cover. And whilst you may be correct about Koeman not rating Jonjoe, he is now our second choice making Cuco third.

How can it be Moshiris fault? You've got the opinion of football legend Ronald Koeman that this lad is good enough tho i'm sure the intention was to play him right back whilst Coleman recovered.

As a fan I looked at the deal as 'Why are we signing a player who is not good enough to get in the Southampton team?' and to top it all he got interviewed and said he didnt expect to get so much game time.

Its not his fault he's here but he's not good enough for where we want to be.

Coleman having a broken leg doesn’t mean that he wasn’t still first choice. Cuco was only ever meant to be cover. And whilst you may be correct about Koeman not rating Jonjoe, he is now our second choice making Cuco third.
Now he is under a different manager.

This doesn't change the fact we were willing to go into a season with him being our first choice right back until Coleman was ready probably not until most of the season was over.

Now he is under a different manager.

This doesn't change the fact we were willing to go into a season with him being our first choice right back until Coleman was ready probably not until most of the season was over.

Oh completely. I wasn’t sparing management any criticism. Apologies if that’s how it came across

Plus I don't think Kenny is ahead of Martina. If Baines was fit I think Sam would play Martina ahead of Kenny.

How can it be Moshiris fault? You've got the opinion of football legend Ronald Koeman that this lad is good enough tho i'm sure the intention was to play him right back whilst Coleman recovered.

As a fan I looked at the deal as 'Why are we signing a player who is not good enough to get in the Southampton team?' and to top it all he got interviewed and said he didnt expect to get so much game time.

Its not his fault he's here but he's not good enough for where we want to be.
I don't buy that Koeman was happy with Martina being his starter.

While he may have thought he was ok he still had him as his 3rd choice right back at southhampton. How highly could he have rated him.

He was given a budget and Martina allowed the numbers to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back