Danny Murphy - Brainless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
seen people calling him to be sacked over the benefits comment

makes us look a bit mental that, it was an ill judged comment and i think an apology for perpetuating negative sterotypes would be enough

Okay.

I’ve no intention of justifying myself to you or anybody else, but thought I would record it here for posterity.

As stated in the Liverpool -v- Everton thread on Friday evening, I took issue with Murphy’s comment so made a formal complaint to the BBC (BBC Complaints - Case number CAS-4723821-TWJY91 refers) via the appropriate section on its website.

I shall say no more about the issue at this juncture as I’m assured thematter is currently being reviewed by the appropriate body.

However, what I will say is that I have asked that Murphy issue an apology. I think this a reasonable request.

I shall report any outcome if and when I’m apprised.

Okay.

I’ve no intention of justifying myself to you or anybody else, but thought I would record it here for posterity.

As stated in the Liverpool -v- Everton thread on Friday evening, I took issue with Murphy’s comment so made a formal complaint to the BBC (BBC Complaints - Case number CAS-4723821-TWJY91 refers) via the appropriate section on its website.

I shall say no more about the issue at this juncture as I’m assured thematter is currently being reviewed by the appropriate body.

However, what I will say is that I have asked that Murphy issue an apology. I think this a reasonable request.

I'm impressed.

Okay.

A response from the BBC, submitted for your delectation as promised:

Dear Mr...............

Many thanks for getting in touch with us about our Match of the Day Live coverage of the Liverpool v Everton FA Cup match on 5th January.

We've received a range of feedback from viewers, so to allow us to reply promptly and to ensure we use our TV Licence fee resources as efficiently as possible, we’re sending this response to everyone. We’re sorry we can’t reply individually, but we hope this will address most of the points raised.

We were concerned to hear you were unhappy with pundit Danny Murphy's comment in the studio about an Everton fan who was seen in the crowd jumping and waving his crutches in the air when Sigurdsson scored an equaliser for Everton.

We'd explain that Danny's comment here was clearly a tongue-in-cheek response to the joyous celebrations of the Everton fans.

Danny was of course a Liverpool player for seven years and so fully understands what a goal in a hotly-contested Merseyside derby means to both sets of fans, and here there was absolutely no offence intended.

The man's crutches could be seen being waved around, but the camera angle used here was wide enough to ensure the fan in question could not be identified by the pictures shown.

Many thanks once again for taking the time to get in touch, and we hope our reply here helps to explain the context surrounding Danny's light-hearted reference to the fan. We're very grateful for your feedback, which has been formally logged and made available to staff across BBC Sport for their information which helps us shape future coverage.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

Read into that what you will.

i love the way his first thought about Everton fans is that they might not have a job, and that they would be trying to con people. It's absolutely priceless, given the fact he has been dragged to court along with several other footballer millionaires, for not paying the correct tax, and now faces a tax bill running to seven figures. And he has the temerity to sneer at somebody he has never met of dishonestly trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the authorities to save a few pounds a week

Dear Mr...............

Many thanks for getting in touch with us about our Match of the Day Live coverage of the Liverpool v Everton FA Cup match on 5th January.

We've received a range of feedback from viewers, so to allow us to reply promptly and to ensure we use our TV Licence fee resources as efficiently as possible, we’re sending this response to everyone. We’re sorry we can’t reply individually, but we hope this will address most of the points raised.

We were concerned to hear you were unhappy with pundit Danny Murphy's comment in the studio about an Everton fan who was seen in the crowd jumping and waving his crutches in the air when Sigurdsson scored an equaliser for Everton.

We'd explain that Danny's comment here was clearly a tongue-in-cheek response to the joyous celebrations of the Everton fans.

Danny was of course a Liverpool player for seven years and so fully understands what a goal in a hotly-contested Merseyside derby means to both sets of fans, and here there was absolutely no offence intended.

The man's crutches could be seen being waved around, but the camera angle used here was wide enough to ensure the fan in question could not be identified by the pictures shown.

Many thanks once again for taking the time to get in touch, and we hope our reply here helps to explain the context surrounding Danny's light-hearted reference to the fan. We're very grateful for your feedback, which has been formally logged and made available to staff across BBC Sport for their information which helps us shape future coverage.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

Love, Danny. (BBC complaints team)

His ‘toothless’ ‘joke’ about Shrewsbury after one of their players lost his front teeth in a high footed challenge today was rather in bad taste.

And yes his commentary is all about him.

The boring, self important get.

He is an absolute no mark.
The bbc seem to like employing no mark ex footballers for some reason.

What do you want them to employ - no mark hockey players. All footballers are no marks !

I wasn't bothered at all by Murphy's comment. It was pretty amusing, to be honest. People need to get over themselves and move on. If any complaint was to be made, it should be about Martin Keown and his complete one-sided punditry

I wasn't bothered at all by Murphy's comment. It was pretty amusing, to be honest. People need to get over themselves and move on. If any complaint was to be made, it should be about Martin Keown and his complete one-sided punditry

You thought it amusing? Now I know who watches McIntyre and keeps his show in the ratings.

To redress the balance on pundits, I don’t mind ex L*******l players taking part, but I just wish they’d go for somebody with a little more credibility like wobbly Jan or even slippy himself.

But I suppose if you pay peanuts.........

Disagree with you about Keown too. Probably the best they’ve got.

Dear Mr...............

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

I read this as "stick the crutches up your ar$e you Scouse scumbag. #BBCBantz"

ive seen this narrative a few times on twitter etc, cant agree with it personally. If someone has taken offence to it thats upto them.

Having been given stick on holiday by people about scousers and benefits etc i don't want to see/hear any more negative stereotyping going on especially by a public figure on national television.

If it was a comedian like Frankie Boyle or a Tory politician there would be more of an outcry, don't see why a former footballer should get away with it personally.

again not calling for him to be sacked but a slap on the wrist and made to think about what he says wont do any harm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back