Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t wish Moyes any ill, unless it’s at Everton’s expense I hope he does well. He said some daft things when he left and tried to belittle us with his Fellaini and Baines joint bid, but to me we finished above them and beat them home and away that season so that was ‘evens’ as far as that was concerned.

He did well for us. The team from 07-09 period was a very good side, just lacking in depth. It’s a shame we couldn’t have won something in that period but ah well and all that

They finished in top 10 form, so I doubt it. If he tightens their defense they’ll be a tough team.
They were 16th in the form table since he went in there and he still hasn’t managed to break a 30% win rate in his two spells, he’ll be gone before Christmas, fans already can’t stand him

They were 16th in the form table since he went in there and he still hasn’t managed to break a 30% win rate in his two spells, he’ll be gone before Christmas, fans already can’t stand him
That may be so, but they improved a lot. In fact the overwhelming majority now want him to stay, according to fan polls.

You only need to compare how they looked at the start and compare it to the end. They were a disciplined, hard-working team at the end. Add in the fact they have some quality (Bowen, Rice, Soucek, Antonio) and it bodes well for them.

He threw away many league games by being his usual negative, cautious self...

There was no real what could have beens under Moyes...no “If only that had gone our way” type thing. There was no “we’re knocking at the door and eventually we’ll get one over the line”. He’s a trophy-less manager because he’s a dour, humdrum manager whose results matched his ability. The only real unlucky moment I can recall is the Collina farce.
As you’ve alluded to with Martinez, had he got the same time as Moyes a lot more would have been achieved...possibly a pot or two. Despite his misplaced use of terms like “incredible”, he’s a more aspirational, expansive manager than Moyes.
His other 'words' philosophy and moment.
And the worse the performance the more BS words you got
All that was needed to replace Moyes was the Goldilocks option of a mixture of both.
Not too much Moyes, not too much Martinez, but just right.
Martinez threw the Moyes baby out with the bath water...and fitness wise we're still paying for that.
If Martinez had another 7 seasons we'd have been in the Conference.

Then we ask the question - what would Moyes have done with Lukaku...sold him for being lazy is one answer and ruined him would be another.
Even he wouldnt have got the big lump running the channels like Andy Johnson.

His other 'words' philosophy and moment.
And the worse the performance the more BS words you got
All that was needed to replace Moyes was the Goldilocks option of a mixture of both.
Not too much Moyes, not too much Martinez, but just right.
Martinez threw the Moyes baby out with the bath water...and fitness wise we're still paying for that.
If Martinez had another 7 seasons we'd have been in the Conference.

Then we ask the question - what would Moyes have done with Lukaku...sold him for being lazy is one answer and ruined him would be another.
Even he wouldnt have got the big lump running the channels like Andy Johnson.
Martinez season was a continuation of Moyes last season for me. The big difference is we had Lukaku. We always lacked a top finisher throughout Moyes tenure.

We played some good stuff in that last season, and were actually challenging the top four before stalling.

Martinez season was a continuation of Moyes last season for me. The big difference is we had Lukaku. We always lacked a top finisher throughout Moyes tenure.

We played some good stuff in that last season, and were actually challenging the top four before stalling.
We played some great stuff in Moyes’ last season but the main issue was conceding too many goals in the last ten mins turning the wins into draws or draw to defeat. Just looked and we lost 11 points that season due to this which would’ve had us 4th if we’d had saw games out.
Guess can be looked at both ways in the defence being better in closing games out or having that striker up top to put the game beyond the opposition.

It's like Yakubu didn't exist.
True.
But baring the first 9mths he never existed at any club he went to, he was noted for it.
I seem to remember after his achilles he had a decent Derby game and then was left out.
But a full on Yakubu was a better all round player and finisher than Lukaku...but he was never full on for long.
Feed the Yak and he will score.
Feed Lukaku and he just bulks up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back