2021/22 Dele Alli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think what's very noticable is he's working his backside off when brought on, np signs of sulking etc - leads me to think Lampard has explained the situation here and now and the longer term plan for next season.

Think he'll become a big part of the team next season personally

I think a case can be made either way really mate.

There was a bit of noise recently around him, but it didn't catch on at all. When that happens, I always think the player has shut it down. From the Spurs documentary he seems a lad who will have his say, so if he wasn't happy I'm sure it would be made public in the press one way or another, and show on the pitch, which it hasn't.

There's also a world here, that I think Lampard has realised just how deep the malaise was here, and in honesty panicked a little. The approach has gone from merely implementing a plan A, to focussing on being very hard to beat, which has shown some rewards. I think he probably felt he'd get a big new manager bounce, a bit like Ancelotti (and Moyes years ago) did and that would have given him more space to experiment. A lot of that thinking has gone. I suspect the hammering in the cup was the final nail in the plan to play how he ideally wants us too.

He has made a difference if games. Brentford in the cup, and actually against Leicester at home in the League. It's his run that sets the goal up. There's going to be a big question, whether he and Iwobi can both play in a midfield 3.

The flip for me, is why he hasn't been used more as a false 9, when DCL is clearly struggling. I also think, at 10m quid being the 1st instalment, and his wages being 5m quid a season, the club can basically just send him out on loan for the next 2 years and lose no money. Maybe that happens.

He's a great player, but not sure he is a great player in a side that has less than 40% possession.

There was a bit of noise recently around him, but it didn't catch on at all. When that happens, I always think the player has shut it down. From the Spurs documentary he seems a lad who will have his say, so if he wasn't happy I'm sure it would be made public in the press one way or another, and show on the pitch, which it hasn't.

There's also a world here, that I think Lampard has realised just how deep the malaise was here, and in honesty panicked a little. The approach has gone from merely implementing a plan A, to focussing on being very hard to beat, which has shown some rewards. I think he probably felt he'd get a big new manager bounce, a bit like Ancelotti (and Moyes years ago) did and that would have given him more space to experiment. A lot of that thinking has gone. I suspect the hammering in the cup was the final nail in the plan to play how he ideally wants us too.

He has made a difference if games. Brentford in the cup, and actually against Leicester at home in the League. It's his run that sets the goal up. There's going to be a big question, whether he and Iwobi can both play in a midfield 3.

The flip for me, is why he hasn't been used more as a false 9, when DCL is clearly struggling. I also think, at 10m quid being the 1st instalment, and his wages being 5m quid a season, the club can basically just send him out on loan for the next 2 years and lose no money. Maybe that happens.

He's a great player, but not sure he is a great player in a side that has less than 40% possession.
Agree with a lot of that, but it's more short-term, erratic recruitment. He's not what we needed now or in future. And very generous to call him 'great player' that's reserved for Messi, Iniesta, Zidane et al imo.

Good points,but I'd be shocked if Lampard is not gonna be looking at overhauling the team to be able to play the majority of games in charge of possession mate

This is not massively objective but I get the impression Alli switches off sometimes when it comes to work off the ball. I wonder whether that's the reason he's not getting much game time at the moment. The likes of Gray, Gordon and Richy are working their nuts off when they don't have the ball.

This is not massively objective but I get the impression Alli switches off sometimes when it comes to work off the ball. I wonder whether that's the reason he's not getting much game time at the moment. The likes of Gray, Gordon and Richy are working their nuts off when they don't have the ball.
Same argument can be made about DCL currently tbh. He's clearly not doing the running (regardless of injuries or whatnot) so it makes a bit more sense to put in someone willing to close down dead balls and to just try and hold it up for 5 sec and fight.

Surely signing Dele on a permanent and paying Spurs £20M would be insane. I'm sure there's a footballer in there but it seems not. We might try to re-negotiate with Spurs and give him a short term contract but, on the evidence so far, it would be a huge risk. It's just possible he could rediscover his game at a less intense level than the PL (and maybe we could retain an interest).

Surely signing Dele on a permanent and paying Spurs £20M would be insane. I'm sure there's a footballer in there but it seems not. We might try to re-negotiate with Spurs and give him a short term contract but, on the evidence so far, it would be a huge risk. It's just possible he could rediscover his game at a less intense level than the PL (and maybe we could retain an interest).

Yeah I hope we dont spend £20 millions on him but likewise I don't see anyone taking him off our hands either unless he takes a wage cut and we offload him for a few million only.

Yeah I hope we dont spend £20 millions on him but likewise I don't see anyone taking him off our hands either unless he takes a wage cut and we offload him for a few million only.

If we wanted him to go, I suspect we would just tell him hes never going to play here, and needs to find a club if he wants to play.

Indeed, he would have no problem finding a club on a free.

I'd imagine hes on 100k pw. Even if it were a club whod pay him 70k pw. The club would happily swallow 1.5m in wages, rather than 10m in fees. That's how it goes if we want him to go IMO. A bit of a silly deal for Levy to agree really.

Of course theoretically Alli may refuse, but cant see any incentive for him to want to do that.

At worst, it'll be a case of Everton continuing to cover a % of his wages.

Far from ideal, but better than paying £20m to Tottenham.

It is permanent isn't it?

@MikeH72 ffs

He’s our player mate, there’s no re-negotiation to be done, he’s an Everton player. The 20 games thing is a payment trigger.

Alli I don’t think fits into this needs must style we have been having to play, he’s more of a player who would fit in ok if we were playing free flowing football. I really hope if we survive he will stay and I’m sure Franks playing style will change and Alli will fit right in. It was the same with Patterson he wasn’t really even getting considered (he was going to play apparently before he got injured) but it’s as if those 2 were bought for next season. I wonder is VDB will play again?

Status
Not open for further replies.