2022/23 Dele Alli

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true but in the old days players had nowhere the level of attention on them that they do nowadays. Play badly back in the day and you’d get an earful from a few fans in stands and maybe a journalist would point our you poor display in a column in a newspaper the next day.

Play badly nowadays and you get thousands of people on social media talking wham about you and countless articles questioning your mentality etc.

Forgetting the money aspect I’d much rather have played football pre social media. I’m amazed the overwhelming majority of today’s players can bite their lips so well given how many absolute [Poor language removed] heads are on social media.
I get that, BUT... there is no need whatsoever for a footballer to be on social media unless they are trying to 'grow their brand'
There are plenty of footballers that dont post on social media, its not their job, their job is professional football.
If they want the spotlight they bring on themselves from interacting with potentially millions of people from around the world 24/7 then they need to accept the negative side.

I get that, BUT... there is no need whatsoever for a footballer to be on social media unless they are trying to 'grow their brand'
There are plenty of footballers that dont post on social media, its not their job, their job is professional football.
If they want the spotlight they bring on themselves from interacting with potentially millions of people from around the world 24/7 then they need to accept the negative side.

They don’t have to have a profile on social media to have [Poor language removed] talked about them.

Even if they avoid social media I’m sure they are fully aware that if they don’t perform well thousands of people are still going to be criticising them in an over the top manor… such is the nature of football fans.

I certainly wouldn’t enjoy being in public eye like that and could imagine it having a toll on you after a while. It’s why I sort of feel bad for people like Harry McGuire, dude is just a punching bag at this point.

That said we don’t even know if Alis decline has anything to do with any of this stuff so I guess it’s bit pointless discussing it further.

Last edited:
They don’t have to have a profile on social media to have [Poor language removed] talked about them.

Comment sections on news articles, YouTube, Forums etc… it’s everywhere. Even without going on social media I’m sure they are fully aware that if they don’t perform well thousands of people are going to be criticising and abusing them etc. I certainly wouldn’t enjoy being in public eye like that and could imagine it having a toll on you after a while. It’s why I sort of feel bad for people like Harry McGuire, dude is just a punching bag at this point.
I wouldn't enjoy being in Maguires' position .... but I'd grit my teeth and take it for as long as I could get away with it for 100k a week for being bad at my job I really would.

The public in social media are impossible to please and quite a lot are, frankly, insane dribbling fools. The same is true of them when they were in a classroom where I used to advise kids suffering the verbals not to listen to any opinion from anybody unless they have first gained your respect.

This is true but in the old days players had nowhere the level of attention on them that they do nowadays. Play badly back in the day and you’d get an earful from a few fans in stands and maybe a journalist would point our you poor display in a column in a newspaper the next day.

Play badly nowadays and you get thousands of people on social media talking wham about you and countless articles questioning your mentality etc.

Forgetting the money aspect I’d much rather have played football pre social media. I’m amazed the overwhelming majority of today’s players can bite their lips so well given how many absolute [Poor language removed] heads are on social media.
Dunno how Alex Iwobi put up with it for so long yet is still really active on both Insta & Twitter. That's some thick skin the guy has got.

Daniel Levy has moved past the 15 red bulls and all nighters in the office and is now on the hard hallucinogens trying to work out how he’s going to make money out of this one

Sad how its not worked out a player of immense quality, but it seems almost mission impossible to unlock it.

From a business point of view im curious to see this deal, if its a loan with an option he could be back be back in a year with a year to run on his deal.

If its a loan with an obligation, then its a very good deal - he holds no book value until the 20 game clause with Spurs kick in, therefore if we receive a loan fee, of a transfer fee - its pure profit (via Spurs sell on) - providing he doesn't play 20 games for us.

Id be curious of the detail of the deal, some report his wage at 100k a week, while others have said its relatively low as it includes performance and appearance related triggers.

However im always wary of dealing with Turkish clubs, so nothing is a given until it gets done.

Even if they avoid social media I’m sure they are fully aware that if they don’t perform well thousands of people are still going to be criticising them in an over the top manor… such is the nature of football fans.

I certainly wouldn’t enjoy being in public eye like that and could imagine it having a toll on you after a while. It’s why I sort of feel bad for people like Harry McGuire, dude is just a punching bag at this point.

That said we don’t even know if Alis decline has anything to do with any of this stuff so I guess it’s bit pointless discussing it further.
I agree to a certain extent, especially the Maguire stuff, which no one within football or in the media is really coming out and condemning to any great degree.
However, a bit like the lad culture among footballers in the early PL days staggering out of clubs blootered in the middle of the night, social media is the current cause for concern that all footballers advisors should be constantly warning them of. Updating their insta ala Rodriguez on a private jet when we were struggling end of season is always going to bring out the keyboard warriors.
In the "good old days" they just didnt read the back pages.
But yeah, no point in making out thats an issue as we've no real idea tbh, could well be like many others he is bored with his current 'career'

Status
Not open for further replies.