Do Everton need a CB

• Yes - Jagielka/Distin/Stones/Alcaraz aren't good enough

Votes: 296 82.2%
  • No - Knee jerk reaction.

Votes: 64 17.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags hasn't been at his best for a couple of season, Distin is nearly 94 and Stones is a couple of seasons too young to play every game. We needed to acquire a new defender early in the transfer window. It's too late now we are *******.

I think any competition for Jags and Distin would be good. It's never a good situation when positions are nailed down by players who know that they don't have to work to keep them.

If Duffy goes I think we'd need to bring in a new CB but if we don't sell him or even loan him out we'd just have to many CB's.

Ideally we'd sign Nastasic, I'd love to sign him on a permanent basis or on a loan with a future fee agreed but I'd be still happy if we just got him in on a season long loan. I know I'm gonna sound like a FM player but I'd also love to sign Eder Alvarez-Balanta, reportedly has a pretty cheap buy out clause, I know he's younger too but does have quite a bit of experience under his belt. Can't really see that one happening though.

I don't really like any of the other names we've been linked with Shawcross will cost a lot more than that reported 8m, Stoke would want over 15m, I highly doubt we could afford that, even if we could he's not a player we should spend that much money on. I couldn't even see him joining regardless, doubt he would want to go from the club's captain to a rotation option, the same goes for Ron Vlaar who we've been linked with, he won't go from captain to a rotation option, I think he's to old anyways, turns 30 in six months. I don't see why people are saying they want Rolando either, I bet most of us haven't even seen him play they just want him because he's Portuguese and has a cool name. He's 29, doesn't have a huge deal of caps for Portugal (wasn't in their World Cup squad) and neither Inter or Napoli chased him after he had loans there so he couldn't have done to well, I haven't seen him play but he doesn't sound good enough.

I know our defense has been leaky this season but i think that's just down to poor uncharacteristic performances, we don't have to go into panic more. I think 5 senior center backs (I'm counting Duffy as a senior player) is a good amount of players, plenty of cover but everyone should get enough game time to keep them happy, if an injury crisis occurs we do have Browning and even Galloway. We would simply have to many players in the position if we got another CB.

If Duffy is to go we're down to the four we had last season, with Europa League we simply couldn't get away with that especially considering how injury prone Alcaraz is, Jags been pretty susceptible to an injury and at the end of the day Distin is turning 37 this year.

Will be interesting to see what does happen with this tonight.

Last edited:

Has Roberto dropped any player because of form? Obviously, there hasn't been that long, but I imagine it is a really tough thing to do. What regular did Moyes drop because of poor form? Yobo? Heitinga? (Barkeley doesn't count for me as he hadn't really broken into the team).

No Moyes dropped Yobo and Heitinga when they were in good form. For Jagielka!

So when Jags keeps 2 clean sheets with England shortly does that mean it's the Everton set up that is wrong? His partner Distin is at fault? Or something else?

Jags is being made a scapegoat here I feel. He's still a very good CB and always takes a few games to get into the swing of things.

It would be completely panic buying to bring in some average CB like shawcross or Vlaar at this stage. Plus he already has great compitition in stones breathing down his neck for a starting role.

We are 1 short tho. But I'd say it's in distins posistion. He's nearly 37 ffs and whilst doing very well considering. He needs better natural compitition or even replacing if a quality option like Nastastic was a possible deal that could be done.

Iv loved Distin since we signed him and jags has put in great performances down the years but they need replacing. I hate Terry on a personal level and thought he was passed it but him and Cahill showed us how a class partnership can win a game.

Iv loved Distin since we signed him and jags has put in great performances down the years but they need replacing. I hate Terry on a personal level and thought he was passed it but him and Cahill showed us how a class partnership can win a game.
Er they conceded three goals like mate and all when they only had to defend a lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back