Do we need a better scouting network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got a scouting network? Seriously? I thought we just cut up lists of names of footballers, put them in a small plastic bag and picked a few names out at random, like you'd do for the sweep for the Grand National in work.

We have always had a good scouting network, it’s our lack of pushing the deals through here we fail.

Historically we have had players lined up and then Ble Bill haggles and we lose them.

For instance players like Kyle Walker and Kompany both slipped through our hands as we did not think they were worth £4mill And then on the opposite side of the coin we sell players for less than they are worth such as Rooney, Fellaini, Lukaku and to an extent Gordon (£60 mill to Chelski?).

The common denominator in this is Kenshite.

Around 10 years ago, didn't we link up with a football computer game network where we would have details of every single player in a top flight league in the world?

It's easy to say yes but we do quite often get linked with a few rando's (were even close on Caicedo at one point).

We might have a decent scouting network that is not assigned properly or their ideas are restricted etc. It's hard to say too much with little knowledge.
This 👆🏼
For all anyone knows, managers, Mosh, whoever, might be presented with potential players, only to be told we need experience and we need it now, can’t take a chance on a hopeful.
Then there’s the agents maybe questioning how much game time an unknown will get if we’re struggling again (answer being very little) so perennial mid table safe as house teams like Brighton become attractive.

Throw in the financial restrictions and hey presto we get the likes of Grey etc.
That said Onana was a relative unknown but we’re were happy to drop £30m (?) on him.

...or whatever it's called these days. How can the likes of Brentford, Fulham, Brighton (okay I know they've got a great set up all round) do it? Why aren't we able to identify effective prospects in lower leagues, instead of wasting cash on experienced but below par PL players?

We need a better everything

Everything about how we do transfer business has been wrong.

Literally everything - and I wouldn’t even stop there, either. It’s the whole club.

It’s not even just on the football side that we’ve been doing things wrong. The entire organisation is rotten to the core. It needs deconstructing and putting back together, starting at the top.

There’s no point in improving scouting in isolation if the decision making system higher up ignores their recommendations.
When the higher ups ignore the advice and listen to outside sources or start playing football manager themselves there usually only one outcome

It’s a doyyyyyyyyy from me. Having said that our scouts have probably suggested good talent that has been ignored by the head guy in favor of overpriced garbage. When you try to go for the ‘sure thing’, you often acquire the ‘surely crap’ thing instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.