Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Do we really have £100 million to spend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet

Player Valuation: £10m
The claim that we have a £100 million summer transfer budget first emerged a couple of days after Moshiri invested. Now, with one week to season kickoff, we’re short of that spend by around £92m. So what’s the story? Here’s one possibility.
Moshiri, like many successful people, is a good salesman. He needed to convince a protective BK and a reluctant RK so he exaggerated the transfer kitty. He principally envisions a player trading model so targeted Koeman and Monchi who are both highly experienced in that. He will provide funds but it will be in line with his reputed wealth of £1.3 billion which puts him around mid-table in the owner’s league.
So how would he explain a much lower spend than expected? Simple. Make enquiries / offers for unobtainable expensive stars while negotiating hard for lower level ones expecting to land at least one marquee and some budget players before deadline. ‘We tried very hard but don’t yet have the status to land these stars,’ would follow. With RK’s neck on the chopping block I expect he’ll push hard to spend most of what’s there. It has to be noted that we do lack pulling power but this can be ameliorated by providing substantial financial incentive i.e. signing RK himself.
I hope this isn’t true, and we won’t have a real idea until September, but if it is true I’d expect the following.

Publicity: Interest in top stars i.e. Draxler
Net Spend: Less than £40m
Signings: No Carvalho, Koulibaly or Draxler
Marquees: One (Witsel or Mata)
Maybe 2 if Stones goes
If Stones + Lu go a low, or negative, spend
Aftermath: Failed bids for big names leaked

Even if this is the case, we still have new investment and a better manager with the possibility of a successful player trading model in the future so there’s plenty to be optimistic about. It does have one obvious effect though. The probability of a Docks stadium isn’t good as Moshiri will use his salesmanship to elicit the most favourable deal utilising public money and minimising his own expenditure making Stonebridge Cross the likely outcome.

For me, the whole £100m pot is nothing more than Chinese whispers that has spread and spread until it's almost become gospel.

We may have that much, and in fact we may even have more. But for me it's all come from nowhere and has now become the accepted figure.

He is an accountant.
Mayor Anderson after his recent meeting with Moshiri, 'From that meeting as both the Mayor of Liverpool and an Evertonian I was absolutely filled with more optimism than ever and a sense the future is very bright for the club.'

With financial fair play, how much can we realistically spend this year without selling first? It's been said before by @The Esk that we can't just blow £100m like that as our wage bill would go up more than is allowed.
I just tried to edit it to include ffp being used as an excuse in September but I was too late. I don't see ffp being too relevant at the moment given who we've signed and if Stones goes, as expected, it would surely be clutching at straws to use it as an excuse in September.

You only have to look at Moshiri´s worth to understand that it´s completely unrealistic that he´ll pump massive amounts of millions in to the club. He simply isn´t wealthy enough.
Rather, like what you say, his plan is probably about a long term improvement of the clubs infrastructure and buying for potential in a player trading model that across ten years will produce a lot of revenue in a very much continental model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back