Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Do we really have £100 million to spend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The players we are after, high profile across Europe, not quite superstars but established internationals with CL credentials have multiple options. Our strategy to date has been to out bid competing clubs in terms of the transfer fee and to be competitive (ie in line with market rates with a moderate premium) on wages. Wages are our biggest issue because of STCC. Now the clubs are attracted to selling to us because we are offering more than others. The players on the other hand know (or their agents know to be more accurate) that as the window closure approaches it becomes a sellers market - ie is loaded in favour of the players.

That's the market we are operating in. Until the club becomes attractive in its own right by winning trophies and qualifying for the CL on a regular basis that's going to be an issue. It is perhaps one of the reasons Walsh has been brought in to work his magic in lesser known markets. However for this window this is where we are. We were slightly unlucky in that Witsel so very nearly joined before introducing different demands, and in the case of one other target, the selling club changing its mind.

This is the rub of it though mate.

Our strategy seems fundamentally flawed and seems to rely upon believeing the selling club has the power rather than the player, when everything points to the opposite in football presently

The selling club will ALWAYS sell to the highest bidder, it takes no brains to realsie this, so you offer 5-10% more then you get accepted others get rejected etc.
But the key area to buying a player - unless they are of the mindset that they will go wherever (rarer as the player quality gets better) then it is all about convincing that player to come to yuor team, the easiest and maybe only way we can do that is by offering them a financial package FAR exceeding what they can get at another 'superior' profile team, a small premium on top of what they could earn elsewhere.

If we are selling Stones to allow us to massively increase wages and that is being factored in when we are biddibng on players - then why are we only offering these small premiums?

Stones being sold for a net STCC 40m profit - will allow us to roughly increase the wages by 50m a year, factor in a sale of any of mccarthy, Cleverley or a player who would net a STCC profit of around 5-6m (very easy to do), then your looking at us being able to raise wages this season by around 1.1m per week

New contracts for players will be covered by the wages already freed up with players released and any further sales (stoens and 1 other) and the loan of some younger players and people like Niasse, McGeady etc and still give a surplus of around 150k pw, so in total we could raise the squad wage by 1.2-1.3m this season.

And as the stated aim is to bridge this gap with spurs the quickest way possible - hence selling stomnes, then it is min our interest to ensure that we use the full ammount allowed in raisign these wages.

So how exactly are we going to even come close to hitting that 1.2 (low estimate) figure of rasing wages, and if we aren't then why are we going to be selling stones for, and on top of all that, why are we willing to pay a premium to beat out clubs on the buying price and then jeopordising the entire deal by not offering wage packages that will get the agents snapping our hands off as they know that they will far exceed what they will earn by waiting for other teams?

1.25m is three squad players arriving to full spots on 50k per week (players of thre ilk of Gueye etc)
and would be 7 signings in addition to the three above (bargain buys) on the following- 3 signings of 200k pw, 2 of 150k pw and 2 of 100k pw.

when you break down the actual figures - i honestly believe the club has zero intention of pushing the wages up to the figure we will be allowed to by the sale of stones, the numbers just don't make any sense when you break them down, on top of the fact we are effectively not convincing players due to not offering them deals too good to refuse.

200k pw would convince all but a very small group of players int he world to sign onto the 'project' and i inculde players bove the quality and reputation of Witsel, carvalho, Mata etc in that as well

The difference is there isn't a deadline a month away which would mean you'd be homeless if you bought nothing mate, so the analogy falls flat on its' arse right there.

But we're not going to be "homeless" as you mention, we'd simply have to either "go with what we have" or lower our aim to alternative targets. Lots on here screaming that we haven't signed anyone - if we don't aim for the best what is the point? Shall we keep the status quo and be plucky little Everton or shall we be a bit more ambitious for a change?

It's not just about having the money, you still have to get the players to want to come to us rather than somebody else

Didn´t you say that Witsel, Carvalho, Mata and Koulibaly were all 80-90 % sure to sign for us before the end of the window?

Haha as if I won't be held to this lol

W 90% (10% discount because it is Witsel)
K 75% (25% discount because of Chelsea)
C 80% (some concern whether he's totally convinced to come to us)
M 80% ( discount because of competiton for his signature)

Time will tell if we have or we haven't got £100m before sales to spend, but this season for me was always a transition, we had been left in a bad way by Martinez, so it was going to be nothing more than transition and hope we get a decent league position out of it.

But I really did think we would have had a good few names in by now, for me why would we not be chasing them, i still think Moshiri would not have bought Everton to just sit there and not make money out of it.

Why would someone with no ties to Everton buy it for the type of money we have seen reported to not invest further to grow the value of his investment, that's the only think keeping me positive about this at the moment.

I'm saying there's a difference in being interested and seriously interested.

Until we sign one, these can easily be phantom bids. There's nothing to suggest otherwise right now.

we entered talks with Witsel after agreeing a €30mil fee with Zenit. What's phantom about that?

I can't but help feel that the marquee type of players who have been targeted have looked first at the refusal to sell Stones and possibly the current situation with Lukaku and said they won't risk even taking a chance of buying into the "project"
On top of that I suspect that just like Everton are trying to squeeze every £ they can out of a club that wants to buy other clubs now know that there possibly is more transfer funds available at Everton so there won't be any bargains .
Put all that together and I suspect that the heiracy at Goodison are struggling to get there a and indeed b type targets over the line and usually desperation sets in and with it poor decisions are made.

This is the rub of it though mate.

Our strategy seems fundamentally flawed and seems to rely upon believeing the selling club has the power rather than the player, when everything points to the opposite in football presently

The selling club will ALWAYS sell to the highest bidder, it takes no brains to realsie this, so you offer 5-10% more then you get accepted others get rejected etc.
But the key area to buying a player - unless they are of the mindset that they will go wherever (rarer as the player quality gets better) then it is all about convincing that player to come to yuor team, the easiest and maybe only way we can do that is by offering them a financial package FAR exceeding what they can get at another 'superior' profile team, a small premium on top of what they could earn elsewhere.

If we are selling Stones to allow us to massively increase wages and that is being factored in when we are biddibng on players - then why are we only offering these small premiums?

Stones being sold for a net STCC 40m profit - will allow us to roughly increase the wages by 50m a year, factor in a sale of any of mccarthy, Cleverley or a player who would net a STCC profit of around 5-6m (very easy to do), then your looking at us being able to
I would add that if we pursued the strategy of only offering a small premium on wages, when trying to acquire a manager, we certainly wouldn't have attained Koeman.
Koeman's aquisition was tangible evidence that the new era wasn't just hype. It's been dissappointing that the same aggressive attitude hasn't, as of yet at least, been applied to convincing quality players to sign.

That's not an accurate statement either in terms of what he said, nor what has actually happened.

Thanks @The Esk . As you know I would not claim something which I can't check out.

What I said that there is no evidence in the public domain to suggest that debt had been paid off, and the existence of EIL and Carroch would suggest the opposite. If anyone wants to misconstrue this as an assertion, please don't - I am not and do not claim to be in the know and merely put my thoughts and take on things down when I get bored.
;)

I would add that if we pursued the strategy of only offering a small premium on wages, when trying to acquire a manager, we certainly wouldn't have attained Koeman.
Koeman's aquisition was tangible evidence that the new era wasn't just hype. It's been dissappointing that the same aggressive attitude hasn't, as of yet at least, been applied to convincing quality players to sign.

Spot on, it's like we have decided to go swimming but were nervous about going in past the point we can stand on the bottom and keep our head out the water, the strategy of going for these calibre of players either has to be all out or not bother as you don't get anywhere going 'almost there'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back