Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Do we really have £100 million to spend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a source bro? Or is stuck with the Carvalho one? lollollol

Edit: With a mean slice of Mata
v0065_s-200x150.gif

I am as frustrated as the next guy over the lack of transfer activity.
However, regardless of whether or not we have 20, 50, 100 or 200 millions to spend, I trust and expect us to spend them wisely.
You don't pay 45 million for Hart, or 35 mill for Carvalho just to get the deal done. We have FFP and a business to run.

Transfers take time, and I am certain this is due to multiple reasons, such as being helt hostage in the current transfer climate , and the lack of attraction to the players we really would like. Koeman and Walsh will handle this better than anyone else.

Keep the faith!

The whole thing could be resolved easily if windows opened earlier and closed at the start of the season (or even the week before)
I can't see any rational reason why the window doesn't open the day after the last game of the season and close the day before the new season kicks off. I'm sure it'll change in the future.

I can't see any rational reason why the window doesn't open the day after the last game of the season and close the day before the new season kicks off. I'm sure it'll change in the future.
Many countries end and begin their season's fixtures at different times to ours.

Yes we do.

Can't force players to sign/can't force teams to sell. See John Stones last season. See Pogba this season.

Personally I think it's very possible that we may have overstepped with regards to targets to make a splash. Meaning players that already have CL/Europe to look forward to. I think it's very likely that we are finding it more difficult than we expected to sign 'big names'.

We'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Yes we do.

Can't force players to sign/can't force teams to sell. See John Stones last season. See Pogba this season.

Personally I think it's very possible that we may have overstepped with regards to targets to make a splash. Meaning players that already have CL/Europe to look forward to. I think it's very likely that we are finding it more difficult than we expected to sign 'big names'.

We'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

in which case we should have moved on to the next best target, and got them in.

i always saw our late, deadline day deals, were all becuase of our financial situation in the past. we literally had to wait until the player had no better option than to join us.

now that we supposedly have transfer cash, even without moshiri's money, we would stil of had a huge chunk of tv monies, i was under the impression that deals would be alot smoother and quicker. being able to offer a player proper wages, and not having to offer them 15k less a week with loads of add ons to make them sign.

something is going on at board room level. i dont want to point the finger at bill kenwright, but we are still operating in his amatuer mannor. i honestly thought we'd seen the last of all this shoddy decision making and dealings.

please prove me wrong bill.

3 top signings are urgently needed. and if we sell rom and stones, make that 5 new signings.

thats half a team, with only 2 weeks to prepare for the season.

koeman must be thinking what the hell has he walked into!

in which case we should have moved on to the next best target, and got them in.

i always saw our late, deadline day deals, were all becuase of our financial situation in the past. we literally had to wait until the player had no better option than to join us.

now that we supposedly have transfer cash, even without moshiri's money, we would stil of had a huge chunk of tv monies, i was under the impression that deals would be alot smoother and quicker. being able to offer a player proper wages, and not having to offer them 15k less a week with loads of add ons to make them sign.

something is going on at board room level. i dont want to point the finger at bill kenwright, but we are still operating in his amatuer mannor. i honestly thought we'd seen the last of all this shoddy decision making and dealings.

please prove me wrong bill.

3 top signings are urgently needed. and if we sell rom and stones, make that 5 new signings.

thats half a team, with only 2 weeks to prepare for the season.

koeman must be thinking what the hell has he walked into!

1 week before the start of the season.

But yes, we clearly have money, just like the majority of the league.

Its widely reported in many places in the press that we have bid the most for Witsel, Koubilay, even Carvalho, I know its the press and you should of course treat it with a massive dollop of salt, but I personally dont think its a money issue.

Its a stature issue, these players simply dont wish to join us, so yes, we could move on, we could move down the list, but why? Cos the season is approaching? We are signing these players for 3 games in August only?

I like everybody wanted people in, last month, but for 1 reason or another it hasnt happened, so why should we move on? The window is open for another 3 weeks +, the players we sign this window wont be just for 3 games in August, in an ideal world they will be signing for 3 years or hopefully more.

So we wait, we wait till near the end of the window, if these players show no signs of wanting to come by then, well we move on, if our targets move to another club or sign a contract at their current club, we move on then, not while theres a chance of signing them. Its a dangerous game, if we start the season badly my god will the knives be out, maybe for good reason, maybe not.

But why should we settle for 2nd best?

Thats my current line of thinking and clearly if September comes and we waited and waited and come home with nothing, then I will be shouting as much as the next fan, but the end of the window should be more important then the start of the season, we have waited 2months, lets just stick it out for another 3 weeks.

I appreciate the line of thought of getting the players in early to bed in, but I personally dont think its important as people think, the whole club has been changed on the training ground, a new manager a new coaching staff, for players like Baines its still new, hes still adapting and everybody from the manager to the players will be spending the next 6 months adapting to the tactics, to the way Koeman does things, Koeman in turn will be trying to get to know the players, whether they need the carrot or the stick, so a few players missing 3 weeks of that isnt really gonna matter in the grand scale of things.

As I say, people have their knives out, lets hope they dont get a chance to use them.

Its widely reported in many places in the press that we have bid the most for Witsel, Koubilay, even Carvalho, I know its the press and you should of course treat it with a massive dollop of salt, but I personally dont think its a money issue.

Its a stature issue, these players simply dont wish to join us, so yes, we could move on, we could move down the list, but why? Cos the season is approaching? We are signing these players for 3 games in August only?

I like everybody wanted people in, last month, but for 1 reason or another it hasnt happened, so why should we move on? The window is open for another 3 weeks +, the players we sign this window wont be just for 3 games in August, in an ideal world they will be signing for 3 years or hopefully more.

So we wait, we wait till near the end of the window, if these players show no signs of wanting to come by then, well we move on, if our targets move to another club or sign a contract at their current club, we move on then, not while theres a chance of signing them. Its a dangerous game, if we start the season badly my god will the knives be out, maybe for good reason, maybe not.

Thats my current line of thinking and clearly if September comes and we waited and waited and come home with nothing, then I will be shouting as much as the next fan, but the end of the window should be more important then the start of the season, we have waited 2months, lets just stick it out for another 3 weeks.

I appreciate the line of thought of getting the players in early to bed in, but I personally dont think its important as people think, the whole club has been changed on the training ground, a new manager a new coaching staff, for players like Baines its still new, hes still adapting and everybody from the manager to the players will be spending the next 6 months adapting to the tactics, to the way Koeman does things, Koeman in turn will be trying to get to know the players, whether they need the carrot or the stick, so a few players missing 3 weeks of that isnt really gonna matter in the grand scale of things.

As I say, people have their knives out, lets hope they dont get a chance to use them.

You've articulated what I was trying to get at for the most part.

We have money.
We have big name targets.
There is still time.
Will they sign for us in our current state?

If we settle on lesser targets this far away from the close of the window just to buy someone/anyone it's a short sighted move. If we approach deadline day and we don't think we can get the big names to come we move on to lesser names.

You've articulated what I was trying to get at for the most part.

We have money.
We have big name targets.
There is still time.
Will they sign for us in our current state?

If we settle on lesser targets this far away from the close of the window just to buy someone/anyone it's a short sighted move. If we approach deadline day and we don't think we can get the big names to come we move on to lesser names.

AT last some level headed reality
CL level would come to us as a last resort
We need to prove our intent and upwards mobility over this season
YES we have money to spend
Yes we will spend more
No we won't waste money to satisfy you teenagers who have the money burning holes in your pocket

Good post mate.

Honestly until the transfer window slams shut (why does it never simply close - must be always windy on transfer day i guess) we won't be able to judge how it's gone (that should be obvious to all really)

As of right now, yeah i believe we have bid for the likes of Witsel, Carvalho, Koulibaly and a few others of similar 'status', we probably have even made enquiries at bigger names than those (Draxler, Rodriguez etc -) because we are fishing around trying to hook that one player who will change our perception with regards to getting the others in. A lot will depend on IF we hook someone of a similar mindset that Robinho for example had when he signed for City - as in someone who puts the money as the primary motivation for going to a club - or someone who just goes where his agent tells him too (and then we need to make that deal sweet enough that the agent plays along)

A LOT of the people we will have enquired about have likely politely declined our interest (Rodriguez and Draxler would for me anyway fall right into that group - maybe even Carvalho from snippets i have heard) - the others though are juggling the decision over dosh and a high profile league, over holding on for a club that is already where we are planning to get too. - and overall can't blame a player for joining a ready made thing rather than gambling on a 'project'.

The season really does depend on what happens in the next 3 weeks for me, could be agreat one or could be a huge missed opportunity (not through lack of trying, but rather through lack of being able to convince a few lads who arent gonna neccesarily be the smartest to sign onto the vision for the team.

Maybe we missed the boat by not going for a 'faded' massive name - the likes of a Schneider, Van Persie, or a Moutinho etc - who maybe would have come for the payday more than anything, but may still have a fair bit left to offer and whose name value alone - combined with the financial package we are offering been that final push to convince players at their peaks to jump aboard as well - only time will show us that though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back