Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Do we really have £100 million to spend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recken we have bids in and clubs are waiting for their replacements

Example
Mata might be done when progba joins
Williams will join and stones will go to city
Begovic but chelsea are still looking for his replacment

I recken we have bids in and clubs are waiting for their replacements

Example
Mata might be done when progba joins
Williams will join and stones will go to city
Begovic but chelsea are still looking for his replacment

I'd bet my house on us not doing ANY business with Chelsea this summer mate, think the realtionship is bad beyond belief at the clubs right now.

The way I currently see it is that we can write this season off now. The preseason has been poor. Not necessarily Ronald koemans fault. The preseason was mapped out by Roberto martinez. The euros has disrupted the players returning to pre season so we haven't had a settled team. It's looking less likely the squad is going to get the overall it needs as we are running out of time to get the right quality of players in.

Looks like we will be going with almost the same team as last year just a better manager. Hopefully that will be enough to get us a top half finish.

The way I currently see it is that we can write this season off now. The preseason has been poor. Not necessarily Ronald koemans fault. The preseason was mapped out by Roberto martinez. The euros has disrupted the players returning to pre season so we haven't had a settled team. It's looking less likely the squad is going to get the overall it needs as we are running out of time to get the right quality of players in.

Looks like we will be going with almost the same team as last year just a better manager. Hopefully that will be enough to get us a top half finish.
At the moment, everything points to us being happy with 10th place.
I have never been so unenthusiastic about the start of a new season.

Well, not since last season anyway.

Again, there's no proof of that. I agree intent is the key - but that's the problem; there's no proof whatsoever we actually have the intent to complete a major signing, as we haven't completed one.

With a pre-season completely wasted in terms of squad building, there's more proof we don't have intent, and until Moshiri pulls his wallet out and actually does something, I will remain massive sceptical of him overall.

Tubey.

I never expected you to be going for these conspiracy theories.

Has your head fell off? :hayee:

That's shown me

p9sjh1vbfdh7yz2dgm9v.gif

So if, for example, you had the money to buy a lovely house overlooking the sea but had to wait because there were other bidders, or you could buy a house in crockie overlooking the turd farm right now......you'd choose the house in crockie? That's what you're talking about. The intent is to bring in world class players - who are keeping their options open.

The difference is there isn't a deadline a month away which would mean you'd be homeless if you bought nothing mate, so the analogy falls flat on its' arse right there.

The players we are after, high profile across Europe, not quite superstars but established internationals with CL credentials have multiple options. Our strategy to date has been to out bid competing clubs in terms of the transfer fee and to be competitive (ie in line with market rates with a moderate premium) on wages. Wages are our biggest issue because of STCC. Now the clubs are attracted to selling to us because we are offering more than others. The players on the other hand know (or their agents know to be more accurate) that as the window closure approaches it becomes a sellers market - ie is loaded in favour of the players.

That's the market we are operating in. Until the club becomes attractive in its own right by winning trophies and qualifying for the CL on a regular basis that's going to be an issue. It is perhaps one of the reasons Walsh has been brought in to work his magic in lesser known markets. However for this window this is where we are. We were slightly unlucky in that Witsel so very nearly joined before introducing different demands, and in the case of one other target, the selling club changing its mind.

Didn´t you say that Witsel, Carvalho, Mata and Koulibaly were all 80-90 % sure to sign for us before the end of the window?

Massive operation in lowering expectations is underway mate. It's appalling.
A massive operation? lol

Who's behind it? An army of EFC PR bods being instructed by Moshi from his control headquarters in a bunker under the main stand perhaps?

Go outside lad the suns shining

Massive operation in lowering expectations is underway mate. It's appalling.

We seem to be doing worse in this window that what we did in the last couple of windows. Just don´t get why that is.

And the plethora of excuses being thrown around is outright comical; The Euros, Walsh arriving too late, Koeman needing to assess the squad, Roberta Martinez ruining the "brand" (!), Pogba stalling on joining Utd, shopping at the mid to high- end of the market which is apprently really, really difficult for Everton although it doesn´t seem to be for any other club with a bit of money.

Good grief.

good point about pre season being mapped out by Martinez. It would have been even worse fitness wise with him in charge and the players from the Euros would only be coming back tomorrow. Piss poor opposition hasn't helped one bit but hopefully Koeman in the time he has been here can see what needs doing to avoid another season like the last 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back