Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Do we really have £100 million to spend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if we beat Espanyol then we would of had £100m to spend, but because we didn't we can expect to be playing in League 2 before the decade is out.

With financial fair play, how much can we realistically spend this year without selling first? It's been said before by @The Esk that we can't just blow £100m like that as our wage bill would go up more than is allowed.

If you can afford to spend a 100 mil of players you can afford to get around FFP mate. Look at City and Chelsea, do they look bothered by it?

yawn1.gif

I just tried to edit it to include ffp being used as an excuse in September but I was too late. I don't see ffp being too relevant at the moment given who we've signed and if Stones goes, as expected, it would surely be clutching at straws to use it as an excuse in September.

Chicken and egg though isn't it? What would happen if we blew that £100m and then Stones didn't go anywhere?

No. We probably have about 20m before sales and that's why Koeman hasn't been able to get anybody decent in yet. Looks the most likely scenario given the pathetic lack of signings thus far, right? What other excuses could there be? We're still waiting on Witsel to decide to join us? Pull the other one.

maybe we had now the stadia is the main priority - look at the signings a keeper with didgy knees who looks no better than Robles, and a good prospect from a relegated team - we have spent more on backroom staff!

The claim that we have a £100 million summer transfer budget first emerged a couple of days after Moshiri invested. Now, with one week to season kickoff, we’re short of that spend by around £92m. So what’s the story? Here’s one possibility.
Moshiri, like many successful people, is a good salesman. He needed to convince a protective BK and a reluctant RK so he exaggerated the transfer kitty. He principally envisions a player trading model so targeted Koeman and Monchi who are both highly experienced in that. He will provide funds but it will be in line with his reputed wealth of £1.3 billion which puts him around mid-table in the owner’s league.
So how would he explain a much lower spend than expected? Simple. Make enquiries / offers for unobtainable expensive stars while negotiating hard for lower level ones expecting to land at least one marquee and some budget players before deadline. ‘We tried very hard but don’t yet have the status to land these stars,’ would follow. With RK’s neck on the chopping block I expect he’ll push hard to spend most of what’s there. It has to be noted that we do lack pulling power but this can be ameliorated by providing substantial financial incentive i.e. signing RK himself.
I hope this isn’t true, and we won’t have a real idea until September, but if it is true I’d expect the following.

Publicity: Interest in top stars i.e. Draxler
Net Spend: Less than £40m
Signings: No Carvalho, Koulibaly or Draxler
Marquees: One (Witsel or Mata)
Maybe 2 if Stones goes
If Stones + Lu go a low, or negative, spend
Aftermath: Failed bids for big names leaked

Even if this is the case, we still have new investment and a better manager with the possibility of a successful player trading model in the future so there’s plenty to be optimistic about. It does have one obvious effect though. The probability of a Docks stadium isn’t good as Moshiri will use his salesmanship to elicit the most favourable deal utilising public money and minimising his own expenditure making Stonebridge Cross the likely outcome.

:oops:

He is an accountant.

I'm glad someone on this forum is sticking to the facts ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back