Dogs

Should be allowed to keep Staffies etc?

• Yes

• No

• Pedigree, chum

Results are only viewable after voting.

Noisy kids in pubs/restaurants.

Oh it’s okay. We’ll just listen to the shrieks and ear piercing screams then because you can’t be arsed to parent your crotch goblins.
Kids under 8 shouldn't be allowed to fly, the wailing and crying and running amok the aisle oh but it's okay Timmy's a good little boy and isn't he cute wiping his snot covered hands over everyone's arm rests.

I can believe that. Likewise my Dad's a few rescued staffies, all great with my little boy.

Trouble is it's not the 95% it's the 5%.

These new breeds are highly prized, and the inbreeding to maximise features increases risk.
Staffies are amazing, had a couple over the years and they are so gentle and the reputation they have is harsh, obviously though if they get the wrong owner they can be pretty aggressive.

Yeah the new breeds around now are cause for concern, done purely for colour and looks and not for temperament or for the dogs health. You only have to do a quick search of Instagram to see the amount of people who are just in it for a quick bit of money.

I’d like to congratulate pretty much all of you for casually failing to take the tenth time I’ve offered up this bait on here. Admittedly a favoured bit of red meat of mine, just like those poor kids your “lil fur babies” scran in parks.

I have worked in a children's A&E in a City for nearly ten years, over that ten years I have probably seen around four incidents relating dogs hurting children. None of them were too problematic, mainly puncture wounds. However, every single one of them was because the child did something to the dog and the dog turned on them, never has it been that the dog just attacked them.

My opinion is keep the dog put the child down.

I have worked in a children's A&E in a City for nearly ten years, over that ten years I have probably seen around four incidents relating dogs hurting children. None of them were too problematic, mainly puncture wounds. However, every single one of them was because the child did something to the dog and the dog turned on them, never has it been that the dog just attacked them.

My opinion is keep the dog put the child down.
I started a thread to put children on leads a few days ago but same as here no one is falling for it :(

Staffies are amazing, had a couple over the years and they are so gentle and the reputation they have is harsh, obviously though if they get the wrong owner they can be pretty aggressive.

Yeah the new breeds around now are cause for concern, done purely for colour and looks and not for temperament or for the dogs health. You only have to do a quick search of Instagram to see the amount of people who are just in it for a quick bit of money.
Staffies are great. They're protective though and therefore 'can' be poor in outdoor social settings near other dogs etc.

Great at home and also around kids in my exp. As you say this is about ownership and stability of new breeds.

Ultimately licensing for Staffies, Bullies, etc could work, but it's expensive and the criminals won't license them anyway. Tagging would offer a lot, but then the crims will cut them out and the animals suffer even more. Not sure of a silver bullet for this issue exists and I agree with a lot of the owner and other sentiments in this thread.

A ramping of of the following measures seems sensible:

1. Tagging and licensing of a 'risk list' of breeds (Staffies might be on there, sadly), this gives 'some' sort of platform for control (knowing their owners, location etc)

2. Statutory annual or 6 monthly veteninary checks and other types of control (e.g. Animal welfare inspection of their home enviroments etc)
As well as checking the animal's stabilty / health, it also adds costs and other issues for owners which may deter ownership or selection of non risk breeds. Push the cost for this onto owners!

3. Prosecution
Add severe penalties (fines, ASBO, prison etc) for owners that flaunt rules. This might also include targeting vets that have not reported or tagged animals etc.

I started a thread to put children on leads a few days ago but same as here no one is falling for it :(
Having worked in a Children's Hospital for ten years my opinion is that if a couple plan on having a baby they have to pass a test first then they can try and get pregnant, without having passed the test it should be illegal to have a baby.

I’d like to congratulate pretty much all of you for casually failing to take the tenth time I’ve offered up this bait on here. Admittedly a favoured bit of red meat of mine, just like those poor kids your “lil fur babies” scran in parks.
The reason you started this thread is because you're terrified of dogs isn't it you massive wetwipe.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back