Dogs

Should be allowed to keep Staffies etc?

• Yes

• No

• Pedigree, chum

Results are only viewable after voting.
Found out 3 weeks ago Loki, our Staffy of 11 years has an aggressive form of cancer. The prognosis is not good and we're looking at a few months. So he's getting lots of treats that were previously banned, such as peanut butter and other high calorie fatty foods to help keep his weight up. We've done a sort of bucket list for him of places to take him, he's recently been to New Brighton and Delamere. He had surgery to remove the cancerous lump on his thigh which turned out to be a waste of time as it had already spread. Therefore he had to have about three weeks of rest to recover from it. Happily now, he's as well, and we can make his limited time with us as happy and eventful as we possibly can.

Found out 3 weeks ago Loki, our Staffy of 11 years has an aggressive form of cancer. The prognosis is not good and we're looking at a few months. So he's getting lots of treats that were previously banned, such as peanut butter and other high calorie fatty foods to help keep his weight up. We've done a sort of bucket list for him of places to take him, he's recently been to New Brighton and Delamere. He had surgery to remove the cancerous lump on his thigh which turned out to be a waste of time as it had already spread. Therefore he had to have about three weeks of rest to recover from it. Happily now, he's as well, and we can make his limited time with us as happy and eventful as we possibly can.
So sorry to hear that mate. My old girl had similar we were told 3 months but masivet (€400 pm) absolutely worked wonders initially. I took her off it after a few months as it smashed her as much as the cancer. The tumours were reducing significantly, but so was her standard of life. We took her off it and another drug helped to a degree but nowhere near as well
Fortunately she had another year of good life and a loving end.

So sorry to hear that mate. My old girl had similar we were told 3 months but masivet (€400 pm) absolutely worked wonders initially. I took her off it after a few months as it smashed her as much as the cancer. The tumours were reducing significantly, but so was her standard of life. We took her off it and another drug helped to a degree but nowhere near as well
Fortunately she had another year of good life and a loving end.
Thanks mate, your story sounds very similar to Loki's.
The vet said it was a rare form of cancer and the treatment for it could cause Loki's health to deteriorate far more quickly. He's prescribed steroids for him and we go back to the Vets in a few weeks.

Thanks mate, your story sounds very similar to Loki's.
The vet said it was a rare form of cancer and the treatment for it could cause Loki's health to deteriorate far more quickly. He's prescribed steroids for him and we go back to the Vets in a few weeks.
Good luck buddy. It's never an easy time, but I really hope you all get the opportunity to enjoy your time together.

Good luck buddy. It's never an easy time, but I really hope you all get the opportunity to enjoy your time together.
It will certainly hit the family hard. He was bought as a companion for my our daughter who was going through a very difficult time, and he literally made her life worth living. Now it's our time to help him.

It will certainly hit the family hard. He was bought as a companion for my our daughter who was going through a very difficult time, and he literally made her life worth living. Now it's our time to help him.
Thats one of the most important things with pooches imo. How you deal with the end. It's when they need you most. Unfortunately we don't always get the option.

I have a golden retriever named Herschel. He will be 8 years old this year. He’s a good dog and watches every Everton game with me. I have to work the night shift for a week once a month so I worry about my wife home alone and especially when we have our first baby in July. He isn’t much of a guard dog. If someone were to break in he would more than likely show them where I keep spare cash. Love him though. I’ve thought about getting a Rottweiler puppy one of these days that would at least alert my wife if something were to happen when I’m gone for work.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back