Dominic Calvert Lewin for Beto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Street end man

Player Valuation: £35m
Possibly the most manic substitution I've ever seen in professional football. Swapping a like for like striker when we're being run ragged all over the pitch. Neither of them had a chance with the set up behind them.

Seriously what was that swap for when changes were begging in other more vastly important areas? Truly shocked by that, anyone have a guess at why he did it? I'm still struggling to make any sense of it.

Possibly the most manic substitution I've ever seen in professional football. Swapping a like for like striker when we're being run ragged all over the pitch. Neither of them had a chance with the set up behind them.

Seriously what was that swap for when changes were begging in other more vastly important areas? Truly shocked by that, anyone have a guess at why he did it? I'm still struggling to make any sense of it.

It’s a valid point, if something isn’t working you’d think he’d try and change it up a bit. His in-game management has been awful since he got here, but last season you could blame the lack of subs. He had a good chance to leave both on and give us something different, yet he chose the safe option the dinosaur.

Swapping a striker for a striker who'd had about 4 touches before he was subbed. Pointless sub by a pointless manager.

…I thought he went 4-4-2 when DCL came on. I know some think he’s the 2nd coming but Beto looked low on quality and ended up chasing shadows. I have no issue with him being withdrawn for a striker more suited as a target man.

…I thought he went 4-4-2 when DCL came on. I know some think he’s the 2nd coming but Beto looked low on quality and ended up chasing shadows. I have no issue with him being withdrawn for a striker more suited as a target man.
I certainly don't think Beto is the second coming, far too early to call. We really could have had anyone up top with that set up. Only change in our tempo i clocked was when Garner made a late appearance. A wasted early substitution in my book. Garner coming on at that point for any of Onana, Gana or even Doucoure would have made a bigger impact.

…a thread about a substitution :celebrate: I thought it was an obvious change.

Maybe he brought Beto off because he was ineffective and hoped DCL might improve things.
Beto was ineffective, but hardly his fault. The change needed wasn't Beto for DCL it was the one he did quarter of an hour later. We had zero impact in midfield and could not find a blue shirt with most passes at least Garner would have been different to what was already on there and can usually find another team mate with the ball. A like for like sub was not needed as that was not the issue.

So would I mate but the point I'm making is Haaland would have suffered the same fate as Beto and Dom today with the lack of service and turmoil behind him.

….I don’t disagree but I didn’t think it was a ‘startling substitution’. As soon as DCL got stripped I was sure he’d replace Beto.

if you look at the changes in the round, DCL came on with Danjuma alongside. He also brought Garner on for Doucoure (which posters were calling for at half-time).

I can see the logic in the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.