2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s a good option off the bench for now and at the very least is a handful for tiring defenders.

If our new players continue to look good and we sign up the loan players, however, you have to think the focus of the next window or two is going to be on strikers, ergo DCL has until then to make a marked step up before he’s shipped off to relegation fodder.

He’s a good option off the bench for now and at the very least is a handful for tiring defenders.

If our new players continue to look good and we sign up the loan players, however, you have to think the focus of the next window or two is going to be on strikers, ergo DCL has until then to make a marked step up before he’s shipped off to relegation fodder.
You are right with your option off the bench, but that’s all I see him as. If we have aspirations to crack the top 6, you only have to look at the calibre of player our rivals possess in attack.
City - Aguero
RS - Salah
Arsenal - Aubameyang
Spurs - Kane
United - Lukaku.
All of these players can score 20+ goals a season. Of course we can’t attract players of that calibre or price tag, but if we could get someone in who could get us 15 goals a season it would narrow the gap that exists.

You are right with your option off the bench, but that’s all I see him as. If we have aspirations to crack the top 6, you only have to look at the calibre of player our rivals possess in attack.
City - Aguero
RS - Salah
Arsenal - Aubameyang
Spurs - Kane
United - Lukaku.
All of these players can score 20+ goals a season. Of course we can’t attract players of that calibre or price tag, but if we could get someone in who could get us 15 goals a season it would narrow the gap that exists.
DCL scored more prem goals than Salah with less game time....... This season....

This is what gets me, why do we have to suggest a replacement OF HIS AGE? Currently none of our strikers are good enough, I don’t mind Tuson and think given chances he will finish them, but of our front 4 the other 3 are of a very good standard. Why can’t we just sign a decent striker? He doesn’t have to be 21, he has to be good enough that’s all. We have richy that’s 21? Bernard who is coming into his prime, siggy that’s in his prime and Walcott who in a few season will be past it. Richy won’t wait around forever and neither will Bernard if we don’t progress. By the time DCL is ready , if he ever is, Walcott will need replacing , siggy will be 30-31 and if Bernard and richy play well they will most likely be gone. We have lookman, Walcott, Bernard, siggy, richy to compete behind the striker , we need a decent striker now not in 3 years time. DCL isnt good enough and I doubt he ever will be , but assuming he is and it takes him until he’s 24 , we will then have a problem of having to replace the 3 players behind him and the cycle continues.
This is what get's me. You're talking as though Calvert Lewin is our main striker. He isn't. In fact he's probably now 3rd choice behind Tosun and Richarlison. He played so many games earlier this season due to injuries and the poor form of Tosun.

We don't need to replace Calvert Lewin. He's a young man learning his trade and he is improving. The only game time he will get this season is from the bench like Sunday, or if we have another spate of injuries. We need a striker like him in the squad because the more experienced players will not put up with limited game time. Young developing players like him will.

If we need to replace anybody then it's Tosun, not Calvert Lewin who should leave to make way. However if we do, the new striker HAS to be an upgrade on Tosun,

If Calvert Lewin isn't showing the improvement we need by the end of next season, then he too should be replaced in the squad as back up striker, hopefully by somebody from within our own youth structure if they are good enough. But here's the thing, when I say good enough I mean good enough to be back up striker. They don't need to be good enough to lead the line week in week out and score 20 goals a season.

Exactly before your time - Joe my hero did not set the world alight, no Internet forums then to write him off, thank goodness, but his early promise matured - no comparison in DCL two different styles of leading the line , and physique, but DCL has time he has shown glimpses of finishing which needs working on - he is wasted playing out wide!

Joe royal was 16 mate not 21

This is what get's me. You're talking as though Calvert Lewin is our main striker. He isn't. In fact he's probably now 3rd choice behind Tosun and Richarlison. He played so many games earlier this season due to injuries and the poor form of Tosun.

We don't need to replace Calvert Lewin. He's a young man learning his trade and he is improving. The only game time he will get this season is from the bench like Sunday, or if we have another spate of injuries. We need a striker like him in the squad because the more experienced players will not put up with limited game time. Young developing players like him will.

If we need to replace anybody then it's Tosun, not Calvert Lewin who should leave to make way. However if we do, the new striker HAS to be an upgrade on Tosun,

If Calvert Lewin isn't showing the improvement we need by the end of next season, then he too should be replaced in the squad as back up striker, hopefully by somebody from within our own youth structure if they are good enough. But here's the thing, when I say good enough I mean good enough to be back up striker. They don't need to be good enough to lead the line week in week out and score 20 goals a season.

Mate he’s currently back up to a LM that is playing ST and a striker that isn’t good enough for where we should be aiming to be. We need two strikers , both better than what we have, when and if we sign them, DCL becomes as redundant as I would be if I was on the books. Can you imagine him getting any game time at all at Spurs? Man U? Arsenal ? RS? Chelsea? He wouldn’t get a sniff and when we sign a striker he shouldn’t get a sniff here . He belongs at a club like Bournemouth , Watford etc

Mate he’s currently back up to a LM that is playing ST and a striker that isn’t good enough for where we should be aiming to be. We need two strikers , both better than what we have, when and if we sign them, DCL becomes as redundant as I would be if I was on the books. Can you imagine him getting any game time at all at Spurs? Man U? Arsenal ? RS? Chelsea? He wouldn’t get a sniff and when we sign a striker he shouldn’t get a sniff here . He belongs at a club like Bournemouth , Watford etc
If he scores PL goals , which he has started to, then he gets game time anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back