2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
i see the reckoning has commenced. well done brave buddies fighting for a better future.
My dad used to talk about the GV, best he'd ever seen in a blue shirt he reckoned (and he'd seen Dean, Lawton etc).

To all those desperate to proved right and see DCL fail (though they all say they're 'happy' to be proved wrong), I ask what do you want to get from supporting this great club of ours? I have come to the conclusion that some just enjoy the frustration and being proved right when a player fails or makes a mistake, as that is more likely than the opposite, so in their head they 'win'.

If you follow certain posters, they rarely praise anyone associated with the club, moreover they actively look for opportunities to find fault after an event and hark back to some moment when we took a wrong turn (the sacking of Martinez springs to mind). They have convinced themselves that running Everton is not that difficult and that the answers are staring everyone in the face if they weren't so stupid not to realise it. Bramley Moore will never get off the ground, but if it does they will be happy of course, but in the meantime you to are just a naive bunch of mugs, falling for it yet again.

I have concluded that this is their passion, not supporting and encouraging in the vain hope that tings will improve, better to knock and carp so they can scream 'I told you so' at the top of their voices.
this post is one of the best i have ever seen and should be shown to every1 who signs up here. well done buddy u just articulated it perfectly. let us CRUSH the saboteurs together.

which wasn't your argument. You were saying strikers are the finished article at 22

Then you didn’t read it properly.

Note the word “most”. And the lack of the words “finished article”.

Instead I used the term “accomplished regulars, scoring at a rate of at least 1 in 3”.

This term, I’m sure you’d agree, is not the same as “finished article”.

Is this the case? I'm not so sure. The average age of starting line ups in the Premier League has remained fairly constant for 30 years, around about the 25-26 mark.

In fact, in the last 10 years we've seen records broken for youngest appearance, youngest goalscorer, youngest starting line up, I'm not sure that's the case that younger players aren't being given chances.

If anything, I'd say more younger players are being given chances than they were 20 years ago, and the demands and expectations placed on them has increased if anything.

It's not unusual for players to 'peak late' by the way, plenty do. Drogba wasn't regularly scoring high numbers until 22/23, Vardy was a notorious late bloomer, there are plenty of examples so it's not a pop at Dom. I'm just saying the goal for him has to be consistency. He must keep scoring, he's in a great position to finish in the high teens or even 20+. He's then got to follow that up again next season.

Plenty of English strikers have gone through purple patches, runs of games where they are great and score a glut of goals, we've unfortunately been blessed with many of them here. Start great and then fade away ala Michael Bridges, Francis Jeffers, Darren Bent, Andy Carroll, Andy Johnson, Charlie Austin, Callum Wilson, James Beattie etc

yeah you make very good points

Dom at least seems to have the right attitude, lets hope he can maintain it!

lB8id8d.png

:coffee: @davek

Then you didn’t read it properly.

Note the word “most”. And the lack of the words “finished article”.

Instead I used the term “accomplished regulars, scoring at a rate of at least 1 in 3”.

This term, I’m sure you’d agree, is not the same as “finished article”.
Which still was not the argument you used in your previous post. And for "most" you picked out a handful of strikers that fit your narrative, ignoring those that don't.

My dad used to talk about the GV, best he'd ever seen in a blue shirt he reckoned (and he'd seen Dean, Lawton etc).

To all those desperate to proved right and see DCL fail (though they all say they're 'happy' to be proved wrong), I ask what do you want to get from supporting this great club of ours? I have come to the conclusion that some just enjoy the frustration and being proved right when a player fails or makes a mistake, as that is more likely than the opposite, so in their head they 'win'.

If you follow certain posters, they rarely praise anyone associated with the club, moreover they actively look for opportunities to find fault after an event and hark back to some moment when we took a wrong turn (the sacking of Martinez springs to mind). They have convinced themselves that running Everton is not that difficult and that the answers are staring everyone in the face if they weren't so stupid not to realise it. Bramley Moore will never get off the ground, but if it does they will be happy of course, but in the meantime you to are just a naive bunch of mugs, falling for it yet again.

I have concluded that this is their passion, not supporting and encouraging in the vain hope that tings will improve, better to knock and carp so they can scream 'I told you so' at the top of their voices.

It's more when he misses open goals like. That said, now he's actually hanging around the goal more he's using his attributes to get into goal scoring positions that others wouldn't get into; he's so good in that respect that the miss rate is now more forgivable.

Speaking as a critic.

Have only skim read the last few pages, but are we now judging DCL harshly on the goals that he hasn’t yet scored next season?

Okay, he's scoring all the goals we said he wouldn't, but that's in the past. He's on zero goals for the 2020/21 season, which isn't good enough if we're looking for CL

Is this the record for the biggest vaulting in the history of the universe

It`s not where to start with him, it`s where to stop.

There`s that much material, you could keep vaulting him for months and you`d only scratch the surface.

The thing is, he still wouldn`t stop.

There`s a good reason why @Adversus is banned from some many sites lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back