2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Arsenal and it didn't seem a farewell when he came over at the end. Maybe I'm reading into it - maybe he doesn't know - but that's my take on it.

It might have. When it comes to mental health, I think we must take it at face value as it is incredibly difficult for most people to talk about their feelings.

Young men in particular are vulnerable: let's not forget that 76% of all suicides are men; it's the biggest killer in the under 35s; take up of help is very low.

Each day, eight men commit suicide each day in the UK. I'll take it at face value and anyone who questions what he said can k'off.
After what happened to Gary Speed and the difficulties that Aaron Lennon had it boggles my mind that people still don’t think it can happen to anyone.

“Talking saved my life,” said Calvert-Lewin, in what is an immensely brave comment to make. Nobody in the footballing world would have known about his struggles except those close to him, but as the England international mentioned, you never know what someone is going through.

Calvert-Lewin also pleads with the younger generation to talk to anyone they are willing to talk to, to express their emotions and help deal with any issues they have.

To use his platform to try and help others whilst he’s going through his own problems is an inspirational act, and it’s amazing to see a footballer open up as he has done.

Worth a few on here taking note.

Go 'head, Dom.

As an older guy its so valuable that young role models are so open about their mental health. Especially men where our instinct is to hide it.

I hired a 23 year old recently who was really open with us about her ADHD, anxiety and depression and continues to tell everybody in the office about a panic attack like it was a day off with a cold. She's also great at her job. We all need to be confronted sometimes.

In short, love you Dom. Keep doing what you do.

I could be wrong of course but I’m not convinced he’ll move this summer.

Dealing with mental health issues, low on physical and mental confidence, I’m not so sure that he will want the upheaval, stress and pressure a big money move brings.

I also think that if he was agitating for a move, his advisors would have strongly encouraged him not to make these struggles public.

There could also be a school of thought that whilst Tom Davies may not be a first 11 player, his presence at the club is helpful to Dom as a fully fit, healthy and happy DCL is a great asset for us - proven by the fact that when it mattered the most, when the pressure was at its highest, he stepped up and did the business.

i will admit i've been critical but it always seemed like so many would go beyond critisisng and go straight for the nasty personal jokes with DCL

good for him for speaking openly about this - if it makes a difference to even one person he's doen a world of good

anyway, has to go down in the folklore for that palace goal, what a feeling it was to see that ball hit the net

We live in a world where the majority of people no longer consider mental health issues a stigma.

And if any clubs are put off by it, then its a damn good job they arent interested.
This is true but as a mental unit myself you’re always gonna have questions asked of you that maybe aren’t asked of someone that hasn’t disclosed such problems, can be a double edged sword at times opening up but that’s the stigma/mindset I personally and a lot of other people have to change.

Talking isn’t weak, as Dom said it can save lives.

I’m afraid the crap spoken about him this past year by the “fans” is utterly disgusting

Why on earth are some of you so desperate to jump on our players backs with zero idea what is going on

Time and time again it happens and you never learn
This is the norm these days. Keyboard warriors sat in their bedrooms typing utterly vile rubbish about someone they know nothing about. Happens on every forum, every element of social media. We all have the right to question a performance, tactics, quality etc but too many are ready to utterly shoot down a player because they can. Modern footballers will look on social media. Some are probably on this very forum seeng the words that so-called fans use to batter them with every week. We can suggest they don’t look at it but try telling any young man or woman to not look at what’s being said about them. They can’t. Reign in the personal insults and stick to being fans and supporters. We can still ask for more from our manager and players but remember they are still young men and money doesn’t change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.