2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Not strictly true. But are there any strikers around who are told just stay where you are, we'll find you. Its making sense now. We've got this elite striker who hasnt got to do anything. Just stand still.

The best strikers around do not stand still and wait for their team mates to put an unmissable chance on a plate for them. What separates the great strikers from the average strikers is precisely their movement off the ball, and knowing the areas to run into and the runs to make, to put themselves in the position to get the tap ins. They don’t just arrive by chance. Some people clearly fundamentally don’t understand football.

Think people need to watch a striker like Haaland and see how often he’s stood still daydreaming during a game. He never stops moving off the ball, he’s the best poacher in world football and I’m convinced people think he just stands still and wait for De Bruyne to pick him out. If that’s all he did then he’d barely ever score because he’d be so easy to defend against.

"He doesn't get any chances"

"He just gets the ball hoofed at him"

Man is sat in 9th for Xg (I know, I know, but it's some level of assessing whether or not he's getting chances) and has less than half the goals of anybody else in the top 20.

1709673082413.png

It's everybody else's fault he doesn't finish his chances.

Or the wind direction or humidity. Take your pick.

I won't argue he's better than Beto, but can we stop making up so many excuses for him and just admit he's been horrific in front of goal?

The best strikers around do not stand still and wait for their team mates to put an unmissable chance on a plate for them. What separates the great strikers from the average strikers is precisely their movement off the ball, and knowing the areas to run into and the runs to make, to put themselves in the position to get the tap ins. They don’t just arrive by chance. Some people clearly fundamentally don’t understand football.

Think people need to watch a striker like Haaland and see how often he’s stood still daydreaming during a game. He never stops moving off the ball, he’s the best poacher in world football and I’m convinced people think he just stands still and wait for De Bruyne to pick him out. If that’s all he did then he’d barely ever score because he’d be so easy to defend against.

I thought the replies were a bit of a parody for a while in this thread but some are dead serious.
Its like we've got this world class striker on our hands but just dont know how to use him.
Its getting more ridiculous by the day.

I thought the replies were a bit of a parody for a while in this thread but some are dead serious.
Its like we've got this world class striker on our hands but just dont know how to use him.
Its getting more ridiculous by the day.

As I keep saying, the teams that are interested in him will tell us about the actual level he is. People keep mentioning Carlo knowing how to unlock his magic, well Real Madrid are in need of an elite centre forward to play in front of Mbappe and Bellingham, and Dom is someone he knows well and could be available with a year left on his deal. Let’s see what materialises there.

DCL is a decent striker. The problem is how he’s being played. Under Carlo we had James and Digne whipping perfect balls too him game after game in the box. Now we have him standing in front of the halfway line getting balls whacked to him from Pickford with no other players around him. We have players that can’t even pass 6ft in front of them. And no creativity at all. Feel sorry for the lad.
I like DCL and think he's in a massive rut with no confidence whatsoever.

But to say he isn't getting decent chances is just absolute nonsense. As a team we are creating a lot of chances but the forwards and other attacking players are constantly fluffing their lines.