2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

….because off-field issues will inevitably manifest themselves on the playing performance. Players don’t live in a vacuum, points deduction, rudderless ownership and no Governance not only impacted fans, it impacts the whole club.
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with management, no?

….i don’t believe so. I’m of a view that very few managers could’ve kept this squad up given the points deduction and off-field issues. He’s done a remarkable job.
So, the off field stuff affects players but has no effect on the coaching staff? This is why I struggle to take this argument seriously. I get that it cuts both ways, those who like Dyche put all victories down to him and all loses to the players and those who don't like him blame him for all the losses and put all wins down to luck/poor performances from the opposition/out of the blue wonder goals/insert any reason you like here. The idea that players can be 100% responsible for the bad is as faulty an argument as Dyche being 100% responsible for the bad. It defies logic.

Dyche got it right last night and deserves credit, the players worked hard, passed much better than in recent weeks and stuck to their tasks and deserve credit too. Against Chelsea, Dyche got it horribly wrong and the players looked like they couldn't care less, they all got pelters and they all deserved it. All the playing staff at the club are responsible for every performance good or bad.

We've got to stop thinking of our managers as either Messiahs or pariahs, all of them are imperfect. Presenting them as either (and, yes, I have done that - there is hypocrisy here, I accept) is reductive and, ultimately, pointless because the Messiahs will let you down and the pariahs will win big from time to time.

TL DR - Dyche should get credit when we play well and win and should receive fair criticism when we don't play well. It's not always just the players.

So, the off field stuff affects players but has no effect on the coaching staff? This is why I struggle to take this argument seriously. I get that it cuts both ways, those who like Dyche put all victories down to him and all loses to the players and those who don't like him blame him for all the losses and put all wins down to luck/poor performances from the opposition/out of the blue wonder goals/insert any reason you like here. The idea that players can be 100% responsible for the bad is as faulty an argument as Dyche being 100% responsible for the bad. It defies logic.

Dyche got it right last night and deserves credit, the players worked hard, passed much better than in recent weeks and stuck to their tasks and deserve credit too. Against Chelsea, Dyche got it horribly wrong and the players looked like they couldn't care less, they all got pelters and they all deserved it. All the playing staff at the club are responsible for every performance good or bad.

We've got to stop thinking of our managers as either Messiahs or pariahs, all of them are imperfect. Presenting them as either (and, yes, I have done that - there is hypocrisy here, I accept) is reductive and, ultimately, pointless because the Messiahs will let you down and the pariahs will win big from time to time.

TL DR - Dyche should get credit when we play well and win and should receive fair criticism when we don't play well. It's not always just the players.

….i’m sure the issues impact the whole staff and fans. Dyche will be aware of things more than most and has to try and keep the playing side focused on playing but the players no longer play with freedom, the crowd becomes tense and nervous. It’s a viscous cycle, Rooney hinted at it last night when he said ‘I know how difficult it is to manage a side with points deducted’.

Anyway, this is the DCL thread we can have Dyche discussion when safety is confirmed.

….i’m sure the issues impact the whole staff and fans. Dyche will be aware of things more than most and has to try and keep the playing side focused on playing but the players no longer play with freedom, the crowd becomes tense and nervous. It’s a viscous cycle, Rooney hinted at it last night when he said ‘I know how difficult it is to manage a side with points deducted’.

Anyway, this is the DCL thread we can have Dyche discussion when safety is confirmed.
It also affects the coaching staff's approach to matches. I put it to you that when we had that bad run of results that the spectre of the second points deduction meant that Dyche adopted a more safety first approach to games than he had earlier in the season. He stopped trusting that what he had been doing was working and put more emphasis on keeping it tight and going long on the counter. That is being affected by the off field stuff, it contributed to our on field performance and was a management decision.

As for your final comment, there is little doubt now that we will stay up, but that is not the only yard stick by which our managers should be judged. Soon you will describe Sean Dyche as the third best manager we have ever, in our history, had. It is very clear that we have different opinions about that.

DCL was borderline unplayable last night. Soz mods.

Same with players. Either world class or donkeys. There is no middle ground.
For the record. We've no world class and full of middle ground. We've got no donkeys but they can do an impression of one at times
Last night was all about attitude. Calvert lewin dragged others into the game by finally playing an up for it number 9. He's not a natural finisher but bully centre halves more like last night and he offers something.
I think Everton are quite a simple team. But they have to be at it. Even carrying one or two and it falls apart. Last night nobody got carried.

Sorry guys but this ain’t it.

Can’t have some of you basking in the glory of one of the most complete derby centre forward performances you’ve seen in a blue shirt when, if the owners listened to you, he’d long been sold for a paltry sum.

At least have some self respect and shame.
Most would still sell him in The Summer for 10m.