Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2024/25 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

A "class striker " would do nothing in that team.

There's no attacking mindset from the coach and apart from Ndayie no flair in the team.
@Harryflashman said it correctly earlier, when he mentioned Dom was receiving balls lumped up to him between two strong and competent defenders.

What can he do? Dom isn't the perfect striker and needs to develop areas of his game, but he's being tasked with a thankless job under Dyche's systems.

@Harryflashman said it correctly earlier, when he mentioned Dom was receiving balls lumped up to him between two strong and competent defenders.

What can he do? Dom isn't the perfect striker and needs to develop areas of his game, but he's being tasked with a thankless job under Dyche's systems.
Totally agree , it's a thankless role.
The sooner we get to safety and then jettison Dyche the better

I thought tactically Newcastle had it spot on . They’d obviously worked on it extensively and I would assume they’d anticipated us varying it , we didn’t .

Exactly . He was marked by the two who were both units , it’s surely on the manager to tinker with the formation and push someone forward to occupy one of them and clear room for Dom or otherwise capitalise on the space .

Had one decent chance but otherwise Not sure what he could do .
and his is where it falls flat - every oppo manager knows he wont change it and can nullify 90% of our attacks by marking Dom out of the game.

Awful from Dyche to have absolutely zero plan b

and his is where it falls flat - every oppo manager knows he wont change it and can nullify 90% of our attacks by marking Dom out of the game.

Awful from Dyche to have absolutely zero plan b
To have a Plan B in regard to Dom, would require a Plan B in terms of the wider system we play, and Dyche is never, ever going to contemplate deviating from it.

Why aren't we putting balls into the box for him to run on to, either in the air or along the ground?

To have a Plan B in regard to Dom, would require a Plan B in terms of the wider system we play, and Dyche is never, ever going to contemplate deviating from it.

Why aren't we putting balls into the box for him to run on to, either in the air or along the ground?
I can only imagine Broja will get the "service" as well

Don think that's true at all mate, we have Dwight and Illy making up yards and threading balls through now - what's been a feature in recent weeks is both Dom and to an extent Docuroue absolutely fluffing channes baring down on goal.

Id also say Dom is really bad when the ball is played to him with the ball at feet, he often behind the play, his anticipation isn't great and often doesn't get to clever ballls.

Crossess similarly, he can compete for a long ball, but good balls into the box often go begging.

Dont think there are any excuses for him now he has players behind him creating different types of chances rather then just going direct.

Hes not an elite striker and his position is one we should look to improve.

Don think that's true at all mate, we have Dwight and Illy making up yards and threading balls through now - what's been a feature in recent weeks is both Dom and to an extent Docuroue absolutely fluffing channes baring down on goal.

Id also say Dom is really bad when the ball is played to him with the ball at feet, he often behind the play, his anticipation isn't great and often doesn't get to clever ballls.

Crossess similarly, he can compete for a long ball, but good balls into the box often go begging.

Dont think there are any excuses for him now he has players behind him creating different types of chances rather then just going direct.

Hes not an elite striker and his position is one we should look to improve.
That's not what I'm alluding to. Dom 1-vs-1 isn't a positive area (an area he needs to improve), but I mean the ball put across to tap in, slide onto or head.

This isn't something we're doing enough from my perspective. We know his deficiencies, so my point is why not try to play to his strengths?

That's not what I'm alluding to. Dom 1-vs-1 isn't a positive area (an area he needs to improve), but I mean the ball put across to tap in, slide onto or head.

This isn't something we're doing enough from my perspective. We know his deficiencies, so my point is why not try to play to his strengths?

You said earlier his strengths were running onto a ball into the box mate, i actually think that a weakness and i think that's been exposed with Dwight and Illy threading balls through.

I also dont think hes great with ball into the box, sure he will score a few, but he's often behind the play, how many times does the ball fizz across the box with no one on the end of it.

If you are playing Dom how do you activate him if you dont go direct thats his biggest stretng and how you activate him in games. When you do that people then moan about hoofing.

If we want to transition, Dom isn't the answer in my opinion.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back