Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The strange thing is Davies and Holgate were around the squad early season then Koeman said none of the u23 are not ready for first team and a couple of weeks later DCL and Davies are starting. They must have stepped up a notch or Koeman realised he had no choice as the first team weren't doing their job. I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do from the start yesterday.

Unsworth didn't sign him... the club did...

He was brought in to be a first-team player, but clearly went into the U23s first for a bit more experience and to help him settle without as much pressure. A sensible action.

He's got a long way to go and is still very raw, but has decent attributes and has rightly been given a chance since others haven't performed.
Unsworth and his own picked head of under 23 recruitment signed him. Unsworth signs all players for the under 23's and is given a budget to do so mate

Mate ... if I was making my prem debut i would need to be dragged off before i went off of my own accord.

Just worth noting that Calvert-Lewin only went down because Koeman shouted for him to sit down, like he himself went up to get him to lie down. I sit very very close to the dugout so I often see stuff like that

Unsworth and his own picked head of under 23 recruitment signed him. Unsworth signs all players for the under 23's and is given a budget to do so mate

...Unsworth certainly recommended Calvert-Lewin and the Board supported the recommendation but Steve Walsh is Directer of Football which includes the Academy and U23 recruitment. I'm sure he talks with coaches at all levels but my understanding is he co-ordinates and manages recruitment across the whole club.

The strange thing is Davies and Holgate were around the squad early season then Koeman said none of the u23 are not ready for first team and a couple of weeks later DCL and Davies are starting. They must have stepped up a notch or Koeman realised he had no choice as the first team weren't doing their job. I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do from the start yesterday.

Holgate has been in every matchday squad this season for every single game.

Davies has been in and out but I reckon Koeman wanted to try all over senior options first to assess the squad fully (which is perfectly reasonable) before deciding if we definitely needed to punt £20m on Schneiderlin/a midfielder (which we do). With Gana going to AFCON, Davies was always gonna have an impact this month IMO.

...Unsworth certainly recommended Calvert-Lewin and the Board supported the recommendation but Steve Walsh is Directer of Football which includes the Academy and U23 recruitment. I'm sure he talks with coaches at all levels but my understanding is he co-ordinates and manages recruitment across the whole club.
He might have to get final approval from the board (which any senior manager has to do for transfers) but I know for a fact he is in charge of under 23 recruitment and even has his own head of recruitment. Steve Walsh technically has to "oversee" every thing as its his job but unsworth has been given a bit of s free reign. Its not the same relationship as koeman and walsh

He might have to get final approval from the board (which any senior manager has to do for transfers) but I know for a fact he is in charge of under 23 recruitment and even has his own head of recruitment. Steve Walsh technically has to "oversee" every thing as its his job but unsworth has been given a bit of s free reign. Its not the same relationship as koeman and walsh

...I'm not disbelieving what you say but it would be odd for Unsworth to bring players in that don't fit the overall strategy. Saying that, I suppose Unsworth largely gets the first year pros and I suspect that's the group he has a free reign over. By that I mean which ones get contracts from the Academy.

...I'm not disbelieving what you say but it would be odd for Unsworth to bring players in that don't fit the overall strategy. Saying that, I suppose Unsworth largely gets the first year pros and I suspect that's the group he has a free reign over. By that I mean which ones get contracts from the Academy.
I understand what you mean for sure obviously its a little more complex and a team effort but he is still the one who identifies the players he thinks he can sign and make into first team players, Calvert-lewin and also bassala sambou(?) Were both his hand picked players.

There was a recent article where he was talking about it, and mentioned bringing in 4 new players recently for the January window, and how Everton have also let him pick his own head of recruitment. Will try find it after work mate!

The only other comment i can make is that yes it wouldn't be wise to bring in players that do not fit the philosophy and strategy of the club, but I would presume that is outlined for unsworth and his team, and he works within those boundaries. I am presuming from there he identifies his targets, and if he makes a convincing enough case for a player the transfer will be sanctioned.

The only other comment i can make is that yes it wouldn't be wise to bring in players that do not fit the philosophy and strategy of the club, but I would presume that is outlined for unsworth and his team, and he works within those boundaries. I am presuming from there he identifies his targets, and if he makes a convincing enough case for a player the transfer will be sanctioned.

I understand what you mean for sure obviously its a little more complex and a team effort but he is still the one who identifies the players he thinks he can sign and make into first team players, Calvert-lewin and also bassala sambou(?) Were both his hand picked players.

There was a recent article where he was talking about it, and mentioned bringing in 4 new players recently for the January window, and how Everton have also let him pick his own head of recruitment. Will try find it after work mate!

I read the same article, he does have a lot of respect for his judgment at the club, I seem to remember he works closely with Walsh as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back