Confirmed Signing Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guys left foot delivery reminds me of Hinchcliffe in terms of quality. Others have compared with possibly Sheedy.

For a rumoured £15mil it seems like a good deal to me.

Wide players of:

Myko / Gordon
Patterson / McNeil

Balance
Workrate

On paper the partnerships look exciting.
As a squad player and for the price that's fine but not if he is coming in to replace Richarlison.

McNeil has a good left foot that will create chances and works hard defensively. The downsides are he really is very slow and only scores against us. Where are the goals coming from? We need to tackle that urgently.

As for Gana, on loan as rotational depth he upgrades our cover but he is not the player he was and is not an every game starter. As for his beliefs, they are not mine but I expect some of our South American players are devout Conservative Catholics and the dressing room seems happy enough despite that.
I don't think he is that slow at all.

Not rapid like Gordon but with enough pace and good football ability.

He’s talented
He can pass, keep the ball.
Concern for me, if we want to play a pressing style, he doesn’t strike me as effective in that sense.

He's one paced, and , doesn't carry enough of a goal threat, if we have to pay for him with actual cash money, it's a no from me. He's a decent player. But, not what we should be spending money on when we have so many other more glaring needs.

He's one paced, and , doesn't carry enough of a goal threat, if we have to pay for him with actual cash money, it's a no from me. He's a decent player. But, not what we should be spending money on when we have so many other more glaring needs.
If we get Gueye on loan we then need a very decent striker. I think that might be it after that transfer wise:

Tarky
Vinagre
McNeil
Gueye
Striker

Might actually just do us.

I keep seeing the argument that we should not be buying from relegated clubs. Ironically our most successful transfers have all probably been from relegated clubs Jagielka, Gana, Richarlison to name three.

Further, we were one game away from being the team that was relegated.
We have just a forward to a CL club for 60m.
We have in Anthony Gordon a player that is coveted by top clubs.
We have a striker in DCL that is also of interest to many clubs.
We have the England international goalkeeper .
We have young talents like Godfrey, Patterson and Mykolenko.

If we had been relegated and had been forced to sell these players would they not have done well at successful clubs.

Generally clubs are relegated because their team and squad is not good enough or strong enough to keep them up, it doesn't meant they have no talented players at the club... just maybe not enough of them.

He’s talented
He can pass, keep the ball.
Concern for me, if we want to play a pressing style, he doesn’t strike me as effective in that sense.
His defensive stats are very good tbf, see no reason why he couldn’t do it. Won’t have done it at Burnley due to the way they set up.

Honestly see him doing well playing furthest forward in a midfield 3 the way Iwobi did back end of last season. His close control, strength and ability on the ball look made for it.

He's basically a poor man's James Milner. I have no issue buying players from relegated clubs if they are actually quality and improve upon the squad. Anyone who understands football would have appreciated Tarkowski as a fantastic piece of business. Free transfer for a very good premier league centre half. There are so many better options than McNeil. Hopefully it doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back