Confirmed Signing Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s really not a lot of goals there though, it’s very worrying.

The concern we have is that theres question marks over all of them as well.

Gordon could be a 1 season wonder. Gray similar.

McNeil it could be the other way, more than 1 bad season, but a more cyclical trend.

Alli could be finished as a top level footballer.

Calvert Lewin injuries.

Broja- A bit like Gordon, lots of potential, but only 6 goals last season.

Seems mad to me that we seemingly were reluctant to do 17.5 for Cornet but now have found 15-20 for McNeil. Perhaps we are able to stagger payments for McNeil unlike with Cornet's release clause.

I think McNeil is a decent player, as I've said before I think the profile of the player is quite what we need but I guess we just have to hope he can flourish here.
Maybe thinking longer term. We buy cornet for 17.5m, on a 5 year deal. He will be 30 by end of contract.

This guy will be 27. So there's better sell on potential, and likely a higher ceiling. Also reflects building a team around DCL. Patterson swinging them in from the right and McNeil from the left.

It's done. Blow our nose and move on. Let's hope his signing doesn't prevent other more pressing needs from being addressed within the next few weeks.

If signing this player is a marker for our transfer activity then I am seriously concerned as a fan that we have gone into full on relegation battler team mindset which as history proves, means it's a matter of time circling the drain. His stats were terrible last season for goals and assists, two things we are devoid of in the squad , let alone the team. Burnley were only slightly worse than we were so we can make a direct comparison between us both and McNeill is another relegated part of a poor team we are bringing In thinking it will improve us.

I understand the financial issue we have and I understand that our recent history is not going to be attractive to any player that we should really be signing. Players like this though are reasons why we are struggling so much and dropping down the table each season and struggling to even hold our ground in the league like several promoted teams have achieved so far. Our scouts currently bringing in two Burnley players and a young full back that the dof knew is quite shocking in terms of how the club is set up because we are seemingly not scouting at all each year and the pool is getting smaller from relegated teams to now dropping the s.

I understand us fans want to be optimistic but McNeill , vinegre , these aren't players that improve us. They don't add goals or assists or add a presence on the pitch. We should all be deeply worried about our transfer activity because this is looking like we are going to be no better off this season as we were last time. Especially considering rondon is more than likely going to be an important player for us.

Could argue that one if our major weaknesses is hdbing a cf whose excellent in the air and having zero players who can cross, take a corner or free kick mate though he can also carry the ball very well -

Wasn't my cup of tea initially but kinda can see why we want him now.

If the deals like the one they took for pope, then it won't really effect our other recruitment money wise as think we'll be paying very little this season.
I just don’t really see it that way. As I’ve said elsewhere, mcneil didn’t actually create chances at a better rate than any of the players we have so I’m not sure he’d be such a huge upgrade in terms of delivery. I’m also very conscious that if DCL got injured again then all our eggs would be in a basket with a massive hole in it. For me he isn’t what we need, but obviously he may improve/we may make other signings which change the situation.

I have literally no opinion of him, as in all honesty I can’t even say I recognised the name when he was linked.

But as long as Lampard wants him then that’s good enough for me. I’ll put my faith in the manager on this one, as he (hopefully) knows more about football than anyone on here.

I’ll wait and see how he performs for us if we sign him before I form an opinion, regardless of what any stats say or don’t say.

I'm made up with this signing if it happens. I really feared we would go for cornet and I think that would have been a bad one. Mcneil is still only 22. He has potential to grow into a better player still and before last season was courted by a lot of good clubs.

He wasn't great last season but he is definitely the better choice over cornet for many reasons.
I like him too. I wonder how much his stats will change if he’s given a bit more freedom away from a Dyche formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.