Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Dyche out Moyes in.

I think it was a melding of the two wasn’t it? Moyes’ well drilled and physically fit team and Martinez’s fresh modern ideas and play style which eventually collapsed when the team became unfit and the way winning football was played changed
The play style was much the same the season before. Have people forgotten just how slick the team was in the 2012-13 season? Put in a good top four challenge and finished ahead of Liverpool.

We did lack a frontman of Lukaku’s caliber and that made the biggest difference. And he was handed to us on a plate when we tried to loan a different player!

The play style was much the same the season before. Have people forgotten just how slick the team was in the 2012-13 season? Put in a good top four challenge and finished ahead of Liverpool.

We did lack a frontman of Lukaku’s caliber and that made the biggest difference. And he was handed to us on a plate when we tried to loan a different player!
Tbh mate I can’t remember a thing about 2012-13. I just remember Martinez had the team passing a lot and Barry and McCarthy closing down the wings when out of possession the year after. It was refreshing but then football moved on pretty quickly.

Equally that season could just be because most players overperformed and the team just had a good year

No he didn't. He maintained it, with the benefit of Lukaku, for one season and then it all fell apart, and quickly.
The thing with Martinez was he did give us fans some pride back, even if it was for a short time, we went to places like Arsenals ground and played them off the park, every game I thought we will win this, not had that since the 80s and never had it with Moyes in charge

Tbh mate I can’t remember a thing about 2012-13. I just remember Martinez had the team passing a lot and Barry and McCarthy closing down the wings when out of possession the year after. It was refreshing but then football moved on pretty quickly.

Equally that season could just be because most players overperformed and the team just had a good year

Last edited:

We played some decent stuff under Moyes. The season Yakubu was scoring with the likes of Arteta, Pienaar and Baines in the side played some good stuff and routinely put teams away. 07/08 and 08/09 we had back to back 5th place finishes. He's not perfect and his away record at the top clubs was terrible but he is 100x the manager Dyche is.

We were in a similar position now to when he first took over and he managed to get us fighting at the top end of the table with hardly any support from the chairman. Took over West Ham when they were having issues and moved them up the table and won a European trophy whilst bringing in some talented players. Don't see them doing much better than their finishes under Moyes with Lopetegui.

This board haven't got an Emery style appointment in them. Look at the appointments since Ancelotti in Benitez, Lampard and Dyche.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back