• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

Just to add, I have scrolled throughabout the last 15 years or so and i can see no precadent that the title winning captain, English or otherwise gets nominated. Not only is there no precadent, it's never happened. The precadent would be that winning the title as captain would not be worthy of inclusion.

But I suppose in the era of BLM, MeToo, structural inequality, letting a a mediocre white man elbow his way into a slot deserved by others more is just the message we want to send. Who cares about precadent? Or fairness? Or merit?
Didn't Giggs get nominated for it the year after he'd been found out goosing his brothers wife? I can't even remember him having a particularly decent season that year. I think he won it as well? Let's face it, SPOTY is a joke and has been for years. Like someone earlier said, if it was about personality, Gazza would have won it 20 years on the bounce.

Like I thought he was on the list because he seems a nice bloke. That was genuienly my understanding. He took a knee. He smiles a bit. I am genuinely astounded people are trying to make the case on sporting merit.

Trent Arnold has done more. Much as I hate the bloke, Robertson has done more, when you consider what he did with Scotland as well. He's not even the best nominee at his own club. I just thought he got it because he's a bit more palatable than a cup of sick (or Robertson/Arnold).

Just on this - again lots of people dont rate / like henderson, but they miss him when is not there. He was the clubs (fan voted) player of the year, Football writers player of the year and the highest ranked Liverpool player of the Players player of the year award behind KDB. Do they all know something you dont?

Just on this - again lots of people dont rate / like henderson, but they miss him when is not there. He was the clubs (fan voted) player of the year, Football writers player of the year and the highest ranked Liverpool player of the Players player of the year award behind KDB. Do they all know something you dont?
Come on mate you’re not even trying now.

So Jordan Henderson is on the list but not this fella:

Jonathan Rea, MBE (born 2 February 1987) is a Northern Irish professional motorcycle racer, competing in the Superbike World Championship. He has won the world superbike champion each year since 2015, making him the most successful World Superbike rider in the championship history.

Ok, its one short of Lewis' World Titles but it is consecutive.

So Jordan Henderson is on the list but not this fella:

Jonathan Rea, MBE (born 2 February 1987) is a Northern Irish professional motorcycle racer, competing in the Superbike World Championship. He has won the world superbike champion each year since 2015, making him the most successful World Superbike rider in the championship history.

Ok, its one short of Lewis' World Titles but it is consecutive.
Never heard of him.

It really isnt mate. Go back through the past winners, and you instantly remember the sporting reason they won it, with a few exceptions. (Beckham and Giggs basically, as in there isnt an instant recall of a specific event).

If Covid hadnt laid waste to sport, the Olympics in particular, I doubt he would be on it.

This is a valid point. If the Olympics had happened it would probably be the golden boy/girl of GB athletics that would get it.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back