2022/23 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wouldn’t be so sure about maupay goin mate
Yeah I’m not sure he will be either, not unless we can make our money back at least.

New starting striker with DCL, maupay and cannon. Allows rotation to keep people fit, means less pressure on maupay to lead the line (which he wasn’t signed by us to do but ended up doing). And potentially means we can use him in a similar way to Brighton did (which worked), depending on the style Dyche wants to play.

A deal that has the potential to rise to 8m is a very good deal for a reserve striker who obviously has not impressed the manager.
I haven't seen anything in Ellis Simms to make me think he could be an important part of our season and it is better for us to get a fee which may help us make a signing and good for him that he can go to a club and really start to build a career rather than the stop start nature of a loan.

It's a fair point, but in a club that's desperate for strikers, you have to ask the question why is a young prospect like Simms not being retained? Everything is here for him to push on and become a premier league striker. I find it hard to believe we havent offered him an extension, and the opportunity is here for him (unless he knows something we dont).

…surely you’ve seen enough of Simms to realise he’s not a ‘prospect’ anymore. He’s the same age as Haaland and he’s played enough games in his career to make an assessment.

Those last games, were you watching and desperate for Simms to come on? Remember how we taunted the RS when Rooney was on our bench in the Anfield Derby. It’s always a good gauge of a players effectiveness.

We might be losing a central striker but we’re no weaker in that position than we were at the end of last season.

I’ll be sorry to see young Ellis go in a way, always had a soft spot for him since watching him in his first games as a 16year old, when you were never sure as he lined up to shoot if he’d burst the net or hit the corner flag. He’s come a long way , about 10 PL appearances , a vital goal for us , and possibly £6 mill for him. In truth a better return than I expected all those years ago. Like all young strikers he needs a run of games to establish himself, he’s never going to get that with us. Good luck to him .

Hopefully we have finally made the decision to sell players in their final year, rather than let them leave for free.

£6m-£8m is a good fee for someone who has only scored once in the top flight, and could leave for free next year.

This approach should apply to everyone this summer. Anyone in their last year should be offered an extension (if appropriate), and if there is no prospect of an extension, then they should be made available and sold for as much as possible.

No More Free Transfers!!

100%. It's called planning.

To me he did enough to get a shot in the prem. Still believe until he played against teams other than top 6 away, no one can fully say if he couldn't have done a job for us.

However, we've not fannied on with him and let him for go while his stock is still high. Something we've failed to do with most academy players.

Status
Not open for further replies.