Europa League 2014-15 ( incl. Ticket / Travel Info ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your welcome !

The old and new stadiums are day and night, nothing to compare !

Solférino (and Massena which is next to) are the 2 major streets where students (but also others people !) go to drink. Lots of bars in the street, good place to go. People go there to enjoy, not to have problems, even if lots of bars means drunk people, especially late in the night, so it can't be sure you will not have any problem. But if you don't look for problems, you should not find them in this place. And if you share a beer with your neighbour, you will easily have new friends ;)
If you go near Grand Place (by the way, you will never see "Grand Place" on a map, it's called "Place du Général De Gaulle", but everybody call it Grand Place, moreover lot of people do not even know the real name, so if you have to ask for, use "Grand Place") you will find only "café", so they will be closed after the game, or not soon after.
If you go to Vieux Lille, there are also nice bars, but they are quite "hidden", because Vieux Lille means Old Lille, so there are lots of little streets which go to lots of directions. It is a bit complicated, and even lillois (people from Lille) may get lost ! To sum up, Vieux Lille has above all shops (especially luxuary shops), and some bars but they are close to the others, you have to look for it and it is sometine hard to find...but they may have more character than the bars in Solférino.

My advice is the day you go to visit Grand Place (underground station : Rihour) with the Vieille Bourse, Opera,..., Place de la République (station : République Beaux Arts) with an administrative palace and an other palace which is now an art museum, between them there is Rue de Béthune (the street for "casual" shopping, with shops like H&M, Zara,...but also Galeries Lafayette), Vieux Lille (Rue Esquermoise, rue de la Clé, rue Royale, rue Basse, rue de la Monnaie...) which is the old city and where you will find nice buildings, luxuary shops, artistic shops, and character bars, maybe you will find the cathedral but it is quite hidden ! You can also go to the citadel with woods to relax and a free zoo (not very big zoo but nice). And after the game you can go to Solférino if you want to drink, party,...

Most of the people are friendly in Lille (the north is known in France to be supposed to have the friendliest people), so they should help you in the streets if you ask for help, and you should not have too many problems, but don't look for them ;)

Thank you for all this info - great stuff!

One more question - do you know what the Catégoires 1, 2, 3 means for tickets? there is pink, red, blue?

What do you think the away allocation for Lille will be? Planning to go there myself if I (4 of us) manage to get tickets. Only a 2,5 hour drive from where I live.

Minimum is 2,500 (5%) - Uefa regs. But we have asked for more and should get it.

Section I is the away section, but apparently Section J is not available to buy, which means we may have been given that too - so double the seats-ish. :)

The Volkswagen Arena is located just north-east of Wolburg’s main railway station and city centre. The walk to the stadium, during which you cross the railroad tracks and a canal, will take about 15 to 20 minutes.

http://www.stadiumguide.com/volkswagenarena/
Must be the most boring place in Germany though. Been there a few years ago for our friendly with them. Stayed over in Hannover, which wasn't really the most vibrant city itself, but a 100 times better than Wolfsburg.

What do you think the away allocation for Lille will be? Planning to go there myself if I (4 of us) manage to get tickets. Only a 2,5 hour drive from where I live.

I reckon they could give us anywhere between 2,000-5,000 to be honest, i think a lot more blues will be in the ground though, LOSC should know thhat we won't be causing any trouble at all, their fans will turn up, but not in their droves, 40k Seats (+10k corporate), i reckon there will be 10,000 blues in the ground.

Minimum is 2,500 (5%) - Uefa regs. But we have asked for more and should get it.

Section I is the away section, but apparently Section J is not available to buy, which means we may have been given that too - so double the seats-ish. :)
Ah nice one. Will wait and see if that's the case. If not, i'll just get tickets for the home end. ;)

I know, it took me by surprise too. Especially as for one of the journeys it was from Westfallenstadion to Dortmund HBF on a Sunday, when I was the only one on the platform, and had a coach to catch back to Cologne which was due to depart in 45 minutes.

The other time was Hamburg to Berlin a couple of days after. They put two train load of passengers onto one train and I had to sit down on the floor for the entire journey :rant:

anyway, would like to do Wolfsburg too, thinking of flying with RyanAir :blush:

Doesn't sound good that mate. Still prob better than UK though.

Do it, will be a belter.

Day 1 could be this: http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/prices/germany/quer-durchs-land-ticket.shtml
covers way back from Wb to Han
check trains on DB site, click local transport for that
Day 2 special price for 2 on ICE might be cheaper
-----
no warranty for my infos= I might make mistakes
+ it is different from where you come or where you want to go
+ you have to check whether there are local trains available (after match)

You have just saved me cousin about 80 Euros, cheers for that mate.

If you have a choice, i'd certainly wager for Lille, sadly, i don't have the option and have to do Germany, but Lille will be a massive allocation, loads of blues, dead strong belgian beer, whereas Wolfsburg will be freezing, sold out and only 1,500 tickets.

Both will be amazing, but Lille is the clear obvious one for me.

Yeah, leaning more towards Lille. I just remember how good Nurnberg was, probably the best game i've been to along with United in the FA cup semi-final a couple years back. It's a much more financially affordable package too.

Isn't germany from memory like Holland, it's ok to drink in the streets as long as the can or bottle is concealed inside a brown bag etc?

No idea mate, it was fine for World Cup. But we had ale from the bars in plassy cups. Plenty did get ale from the shop, and the police didn't mind.

I just find it a scruffy thing to do, and is exactly why English fans get a bad reputation.

Spend a fortune going to a great city with other fans.....then to save a few quid on the ale. Makes no sense.

No idea mate, it was fine for World Cup. But we had ale from the bars in plassy cups. Plenty did get ale from the shop, and the police didn't mind.

I just find it a scruffy think to do, and is exactly wht English fans get a bad reputation.

Spend a fortune going to a great city with other fans.....to save a few quid on the ale. Makes no sense.

I agree, then again i'm of an age where drinking outdoors nowadays sounds like torture, need a nice warm comfy chair and heating up to the max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back