Everton 0-0 Swansea. 12th Jan @ 15.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Media raving about Laudrup all month, they are the most negative team i have seen us play this season. Time wasting with half an hour to go. That is a poor result for us, no doubt about it.

View from the Palace End; This ^^^^^. Of the 100 or so Everton games I've seen since 1991 it always seems to me that at least one player has a mare for no apparent reason. Vic seemed to be in the best form that he's been in for a long time until yesterday when he just went AWOL. Naismith wouldn't get a game at Selhurst at the moment, whereas Seamus, who to me has struggled a bit this season was my MoM. Baffling. Evertons current side are much better than yesterdays performance IMHO.

liverpool need to go to emirates and etihad still, not forgetting they haven't actually beaten one team above them in the league. they've had a few easy games in the last two months and have made ground, they'll slip back down the table soon enough i think, not worried about them. only spurs and arsenal - chelsea will go on a run between now and the end of the season

Anyone can beat anyone, so there probably aren't any easy runs. We've got to play the big boys away and some middling teams at our place. It could potentially be an advantage. Away from home we're more disciplined defensively and teams will come out and attack us, so there's a chance we could spring one or two surprises. We just need to figure out how to break down stubborn teams coming to us.

Had a feeling of two points missed in this one... Goal line clearances were a bummer. And the zillion missed headers.

Whenever we fail to win it seems like our rivals do the same too. It's positive that we're not getting any further away but we could really do with taking advantage of other teams' slip ups.

Chelsea had a successful day.
Spurs drew with QPR.
Arsenal look like losing and Koscielny could miss games against Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool.
West Brom got beat.
Liverpool were beaten.
Swansea drew.
Stoke lost.
West Ham were hammered.

So, out of our main rivals, only Chelsea could better our result.

Yup. Obviously I'm pleased our rivals didn't do much this weekend either, but if we are serious top 4 contenders we can't just be doing the same. We need to take advantage of their slip-ups. Regardless of others' results this weekend, we've dropped 2 points in a game we should have won.

Worth remembering as well we still have trips to Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs to come (and Man Utd for what its worth). How many points do people see us getting? We needed to show this weekend we could take advantage of the deficiencies of others, and get the 3 points even if we weren't exactly playing that well, and we couldn't. The result in itself isn't fatal but with the standard we're aiming for, and considering we have a plethora of very tough away games, it was a very frustrating result IMO.

Yup. Obviously I'm pleased our rivals didn't do much this weekend either, but if we are serious top 4 contenders we can't just be doing the same. We need to take advantage of their slip-ups. Regardless of others' results this weekend, we've dropped 2 points in a game we should have won.

Worth remembering as well we still have trips to Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs to come (and Man Utd for what its worth). How many points do people see us getting? We needed to show this weekend we could take advantage of the deficiencies of others, and get the 3 points even if we weren't exactly playing that well, and we couldn't. The result in itself isn't fatal but with the standard we're aiming for, and considering we have a plethora of very tough away games, it was a very frustrating result IMO.
I see your point and feel the same. However we should remember that fans of those teams mentioned are probably complaining about not taking advantage of our slip ups.

Had a feeling of two points missed in this one... Goal line clearances were a bummer. And the zillion missed headers.

Interesting that Laudrup has said they played a 7-3-0 formation with Augustien and Rangel doubling up to protect the fullbacks and Michu dropping in with Dyer and Hernandez to bolster the midfield. Chelsea couldn't break them down either, but we probably created better opportunities and just didn't take them.

Chelsea were very fortunate. Two own goals and then a penalty that shouldn't have been given. On another day Walters would have cancelled out Hazard's strike from the penalty spot and the game would have finished 1-1.

It's a wierd league to try and call. At Stamford Bridge the fans give Benitez grief and their results have been disappointing. They have lost to Swansea and QPR there recently. Besides the drubbings of Villa and Njordsjaelland their last home league victory was at the start of October against Norwich. City, Fulham and Liverpool have made draws and United won.

Arsenal's home form has been pretty erratic too. They've lost to City, Swansea and Chelsea, drew with Fulham, Sunderland and Villa but then comfortably beat Newcastle, Spurs and Southampton.

Liverpool tend to do draws or narrow victories at Anfield. Arsenal, United and Villa have left with all three points though.

West Brom, Norwich, Chelsea, Wigan and Stoke have all come away from White Hart Lane with at least a point.

Spurs are the only team to pick up points at Old Trafford but Liverpool, Newcastle, Sunderland, QPR, Arsenal, Stoke and Fulham have all managed to score there. West Ham, Wigan and West Brom were the teams to be shut out.

It wouldn't be unlike us to pick up wins and hard-fought draws at some of the toughest grounds and to find smaller sides difficult to put to bed at Goodison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back