Everton 5-1 Hull City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outstanding performances from Arteta, Pienaar and Heitinga. Gonna be sad to see Lando leave, too.

Yak needs to find his scoring boots though!

Fantastic way to finish a top weekend really. More please!

Just back from the game, a few quick thoughts before I spend too much of my allotted beauty sleep trawling through this thread to relive the game ;)

Yes, it was ONLY Hull, but (wistful, what-if, sigh) if we'd played like that against Sporting and Spurs our season would not be effectively over. Alas, it is what it is.

Balance! It's no coincidence we give our best performances when the team is balanced, both across the park and front to back.

Sideways, I think Victor was a very competent replacement for Donovan wide right. I can't say Victor is a better player than Donovan in that position (or any other) right now, but for the first time today I thought he was showing signs of developing into a player who could make it in the top half of the prem. He's still young and has missed a large part of his development through injury, while Donovan has a lot more experience, but I thought his aerial presence compensated well for the missing Cahill and Fellaini. He was the target for Tim's long clearances and won a good share of them, often with a more useful knock-down than Cahill usually provides.

But he's always been able to challenge for headers, the real difference I saw today was in his "Football". Witness his play in the build up to the second goal: good first touch to control the pass and set him away into the channel; carried the ball well into the danger area; got his head up and picked out a player in the box with an accurate low cross. He linked up well at other times as well. Only negative for me was he didn't track back enough for the position he was playing, leaving Pip exposed at times.

I really think he's maturing and given a run in the side he may develop into a proper footballer. Long term he probably won't be a winger/right-sided midfielder, but what he learns playing there should make him a more effective striker.

Lengthways (is that a word?), we looked much more balanced when Rodwell replaced Ossie. That's not to say Ossie had a bad game - he had a hand in both goals while he was on the pitch and set up the Yak when he hit the post. But, we looked much more solid at the back with Rodwell in the second half.

Now maybe the change had nothing to do with it. Maybe Hull imploded. Maybe Jack was asked to do a different job. Maybe Heitinga got into the game more. Maybe Rodwell is just a more noticeable player than Ossie.

Whatever. From what I saw, Jack was simply more of a presence in the game. Ossie breaks down the opposition moves, keeps possession in tight areas and can interchange passes with the best of them. So does Rodwell, but it seems more significant when he does it. Somehow he just seems to have more of a bearing on the game, more of an influence.

Oh, and his technique for his goal was outstanding - a bouncing ball, slightly behind him, many players would have had to take a touch or two and the chance would have gone. Many more would have blasted it over or down into the pitch to no effect. Few would have made it look easy. He did.

If I were not as other men, I'd be in love :unsure:

It was great to see ANDERS LIMPAR on the pitch at half time. It was great to see them all, but Anders is the only one i can recall playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back