Everton 85 vs Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verbal Kint

Player Valuation: £35m
How would that Everton team stack up against the Champion's elect of this season, the reason I'm asking is this side consisted entirely of British/ Irish (Ok Sheedy was Welsh I think), giving the foreign influx since the premier league started is it possible to ever win the league again using this formula of home-grown talent against mega million superstars from all over the world. It will probably be our only chance if we produce a crop of brilliant youngster's all at once giving we will get outbid by the richer teams for the top talent.

Southall Vs Cech/Courtois. Draw best keeper of the 80's against 2 of the best now
Stevens vs Ivanovic. Think we shade it here.
Rats Vs Cahill. Everton shade it again
Mountfield vs Terry. Chelsea begrudgingly
Pat VDH vs Azpilicueta. Chelsea just
Reid Vs Matic. Reid was good Matic is brilliant. Chelsea
Bracewell vs Fabregas. Chelsea
Sheedy vs Hazard. Chelsea but Sheedy was very good
Steven vs Oscar. Everton
Sharp vs Costa. I'll go draw Sharp was lethal around this time Costa would have been made for the 80's
Gray vs Remy. Give me Gray anyday

Just a bit of pointless fun really so don't take it serious. Main question is can a team like this ever win the top division again.

I think the Everton side you mentioned would be very competative in this era too. I think we tend to overrate the Premier League in all honesty. This season to my mind the general quality hasn't been all that impressive. Which is following on from the previous few seasons where the quality hasn't been brilliant either. Which makes Everton's poor season even more maddening.

I think the Everton side you mentioned would be very competative in this era too. I think we tend to overrate the Premier League in all honesty. This season to my mind the general quality hasn't been all that impressive. Which is following on from the previous few seasons where the quality hasn't been brilliant either. Which makes Everton's poor season even more maddening.

Hard to believe Man Utd are 3rd this year, 72 points will be good enough for 3rd this year. Gutted how far back we are

Spot on. I remember the league title Man Utd won in Fergusons last year and his Man Utd side was average in the extreme. Just goes to show how poor the Premier has been the last 5 years or so.

How would that Everton team stack up against the Champion's elect of this season, the reason I'm asking is this side consisted entirely of British/ Irish (Ok Sheedy was Welsh I think), giving the foreign influx since the premier league started is it possible to ever win the league again using this formula of home-grown talent against mega million superstars from all over the world. It will probably be our only chance if we produce a crop of brilliant youngster's all at once giving we will get outbid by the richer teams for the top talent.

Southall Vs Cech/Courtois. Draw best keeper of the 80's against 2 of the best now
Steven vs Oscar. Everton
Sharp vs Costa. I'll go draw Sharp was lethal around this time Costa would have been made for the 80's

Just a bit of pointless fun really so don't take it serious. Main question is can a team like this ever win the top division again.

For me the only areas they would shade us are at right back(as good as Shaggy was i always felt if possible we could have strengthened) and possibly Centre back with Terry(although would he notch fifteen goals in a season like Degsy?)Can't go with what you've gone for there mate,Cech and Courtois together wouldn't match Nev,Reidy and Bracewell,the little Ratter and his assistant Brace who oozed class,Sheeds every time for me,but as you say its all about opinions!

...went to a mid week cup tie at Chelsea in mid -80s, we drew (goals from Sheedy and Bracewell I think). Obnoxious Chelsea fan in the stand suggesting we would get filled in going home. Shameful that he had a young lad with him. The pity is they beat us in the replay at Goddison.

...went to a mid week cup tie at Chelsea in mid -80s, we drew (goals from Sheedy and Bracewell I think). Obnoxious Chelsea fan in the stand suggesting we would get filled in going home. Shameful that he had a young lad with him. The pity is they beat us in the replay at Goddison.
Remember that Eggs,not sure if it was that game or a league game but Pat Nevin ran VDH ragged,only ever saw Franz Carr do that to him,I was made up when we signed nevin,but it never quite worked out for him.

Remember that Eggs,not sure if it was that game or a league game but Pat Nevin ran VDH ragged,only ever saw Franz Carr do that to him,I was made up when we signed nevin,but it never quite worked out for him.

..think so, Dario. What an underrated player VDH was, unfortunate he was given the Psycho tag. Kerry Dixon also played in those games and he was another fine player.

Steven vs Oscar. Everton

man for man you make a possible argument
But it's a team game
sum of the parts and all that

short version; We'd bladder them.

There's a lot there I disagree with.

Southall was better than Cech and Courtois put together. He was that good.
Azpilicueta is a bit average.
Remy and Costa never play together to get Remy out and put Willian in. Gray > Willian.....I think.
Matic is awesome. But Peter Reid mate.
Sheeds over Hazard for now too. But that might change if Hazard keeps going the way he is.

The rest though. Spot on!

everton 85 wasn't filled with diving jarg hard men like chelsea, they were actually solid. Would be none of them shenanigans chelsea try to pull

The 85 would have went toe to toe with this Chelsea team and would have bullied them into submission. A team is the sum of its parts and we had an extremely good defence with a goalie that was truly world class, a midfield that could attack at pace with skill and movement and defend and a strike force that knew were the net was. They would have got frustrated, like they do when teams go toe to toe with them like Spurs did the other week. I feel Mourinho would have tried to have parked 4 buses but would still not be enough to stop us.

Status
Not open for further replies.