Everton 85 vs Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot there I disagree with.

Southall was better than Cech and Courtois put together. He was that good.
Azpilicueta is a bit average.
Remy and Costa never play together to get Remy out and put Willian in. Gray > Willian.....I think.
Matic is awesome. But Peter Reid mate.
Sheeds over Hazard for now too. But that might change if Hazard keeps going the way he is.

The rest though. Spot on!

I see what you did there ;)

I think the standard of football is getting worse all the time, because the game is getting faster.

Under 85's rules I think we'd beat them hands down but under today's rules with Hazard as the ref they'd win easily and we'd be lucky to finish the game with enough players.

Duncan Ferguson had it bad enough, imagine Andy Gray!

Also Southall was by far the best keeper the World has ever seen. Ratcliffe says that when Sky used to do those celebs vs ex-pro games, they stopped asking Southall to play because of the save he did against that big brother kid and the fact no one could score past him. It didn't suit their agenda.

It's sad that younger fans seen him at his worse, I cringed for Southall towards the end of his career, the amount of times he was chipped, and let's face it he didn't look like a supreme athlete

Thankfully I remember him when he was top drawer. Love the way he give's his honest opinion about Everton, not like the rest of the happy clappers who think Bill is the second coming.

I think the Everton side you mentioned would be very competative in this era too. I think we tend to overrate the Premier League in all honesty. This season to my mind the general quality hasn't been all that impressive. Which is following on from the previous few seasons where the quality hasn't been brilliant either. Which makes Everton's poor season even more maddening.
The overall quality of the premier league isn't great but it's very competitive. Theres far more money floating around the smaller teams. If a top team has an off game it's very possible they will loose. In other leagues they just need to show up.

Unfortunately we've had a whole off season.

As for the two teams. We did beat Bayern Munich. Let's see if Chelsea do that.

Btw Southall was better than both Chelsea keepers.

Didn't we lose 4-3 to Chelsea at Goodison just before Christmas 84? Seem to remember Gordon Davies getting a couple. We had our bad patch around that time with the draw against Sheff Wed and I think Norwich put 4 past us at their place. Probably adjusting to Inchy's injury coz he'd been on fire till Marwood crocked him.

It's sad that younger fans seen him at his worse, I cringed for Southall towards the end of his career, the amount of times he was chipped, and let's face it he didn't look like a supreme athlete

Thankfully I remember him when he was top drawer. Love the way he give's his honest opinion about Everton, not like the rest of the happy clappers who think Bill is the second coming.

This is true this, ive had that chat with United fans who think Schmeichel was better but they only seen the end of Southall, not him in his prime.

Your right about how he speaks like a real fan, ive heard him on Talk Sport a few times recently and he speaks and thinks like we do, dosen't have to toe the party line. Like the other day was saying openly that Joel should be playing, a lot of ex players wouldnt dare say anything that goes against what the club are doing, but he is as much of a fan as an ex player.

That for me is another reason why he is number one as far as Everton players go.

Everton '85 would dismantle this Chelsea team. It would probably be 1:1 around 69 minutes but Chelsea would eventually sercombe to the crosses swung in from Gary Stevens. Andy Gray would get on the end of one for sure. As Chelsea press for an equalizer, Paul Bracewell plays a 40 yards pass to Trevor Steven who steals in behind the Chelsea defence to prod home from 10 yards to make it 3:1. A last minute foul on Graeme Sharp for backing in from John Terry led to a free-kick to Everton. Kevin Sheedy stepped up and firmly PLANTED it beyond the Chelseas goalkeeper. Another victorious day for Howards Army.

Didn't we lose 4-3 to Chelsea at Goodison just before Christmas 84? Seem to remember Gordon Davies getting a couple. We had our bad patch around that time with the draw against Sheff Wed and I think Norwich put 4 past us at their place. Probably adjusting to Inchy's injury coz he'd been on fire till Marwood crocked him.
Then Gray and sharp clicked. Then began run of amazing number of wins and a few draws until a defeat in May at forest making progress in two cups and stormed league.

What a great feeling it was home and away believing EVERY time we stepped out on the park,no matter what the opposition,not just hoping,almost expecting a WIN,oh for those halcyon days to return:)

Status
Not open for further replies.