Homepage Article Everton Already Have An Identity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Moyes is the answer we're asking the wrong question.

That feller was here for 11 years and imposed his identity on us: hard work - hard work from the team and hard work watching it.

Martinez came along and in one season rekindled our real identity: the school of science. The fact it went downhill after that is no reason to abandon rediscovering our club identity.

When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can provide.

Why do football fans get obsessed with taking quotes out of context and then saying it sums up a whole managerial approach?

Moyes was good at playing down expectations to take pressure off the players. It helped them outperform, rather than underperform.

Until there was actually genuine pressure, cup finals, semis, games against "big clubs", games with a chance to push on etc, then they, well they underperformed...

Moyes was what we needed at that time, he is what West Ham needed at the present time. Time moves on.

Everton's image, crafted by Blue Bill, is of an entity rooted in a Hovis commercial; some kid in a cloth cap delivering bread on a bike to grannies wearing clogs. It's a fictitious time when neighbours looked after each other and you left your door unlocked.

Why? Because he hadn't got a pot to pee in to get new staff so we had to pride ourselves in something. Anything. "We might not win pots, lad, but we cook an honest scouse."

And his vision of the club is massively at variance with Moshiri's, I suspect. Therein, I think, lies one of our major problems. A club that rabbits on about a pot it won in the 1890's is a club weighed down by tradition rather than using it as a springboard.

I didn't agree with much in the original post. Any idea that the multi faced Moyes is what we need is plain wrong. We need a modern manager unafraid to tell it like it is to all and sundry being paid by the club and its owner.

i agree with this. had moyes not had a good season at west ham no-one other than bill kenwright would have backed him now for everton. also the dearth of other good alternatives has an influence on whether or not to go for moyes. apart from the fact that he may not eant to come anyway he could be a good choice. the poor man NEVER had any money to buy players

He had plenty of money to buy players at certain times. He chose to invest in player wages or buy tat when we had the money.

Great at getting a bargain obviously, still is by the looks of it. Also he could have took a pay cut himself if he wanted more money to spend...

Until there was actually genuine pressure, cup finals, semis, games against "big clubs", games with a chance to push on etc, then they, well they underperformed...

Moyes was what we needed at that time, he is what West Ham needed at the present time. Time moves on.
So there is no pressure when you are trying to avoid relegation or beat sides as you chase Europe? Our weakness was the fact we did not have the players to compete with Wenger Arsenal, Fergie Man Utd, Rafael RS or Mourinho Chelsea.

There is no shame in that. The fact we finished above Villa when they were completely spunking money (to the extent they ended up broke) under O'Neill was a big accomplishment.

If Moyes is the answer we're asking the wrong question.

That feller was here for 11 years and imposed his identity on us: hard work - hard work from the team and hard work watching it.

Martinez came along and in one season rekindled our real identity: the school of science. The fact it went downhill after that is no reason to abandon rediscovering our club identity.

When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can provide.

So that one season actually took 12 years and two managers...I don't know what's worse, that it took two managers or that Martinez managed to burn it all in his short stay.

So that one season actually took 12 years and two managers...I don't know what's worse, that it took two managers or that Martinez managed to burn it all in his short stay.
He burnt nothing worth saving.

Hoofball was banished in that Camelot Season. The School of Science re-established.

Unfortunately the Moyes era DID impose an identity on us that has proven hard to erase. His impact in that decade + period he was here almost obliterated our birth right as Evertonians: to see quality football played on the deck.

So there is no pressure when you are trying to avoid relegation or beat sides as you chase Europe? Our weakness was the fact we did not have the players to compete with Wenger Arsenal, Fergie Man Utd, Rafael RS or Mourinho Chelsea.

There is no shame in that. The fact we finished above Villa when they were completely spunking money (to the extent they ended up broke) under O'Neill was a big accomplishment.

Did we have players to compete with the third best side in Bucharest? Or when we were getting humped 4-0 by West Brom or Bolton or Aston Villa? Did we have players to start a season well or did we always have to play catch up after a poor start almost every year?

It was every single time when the pressure was on. He only really needed to avoid relegation in his first season (which is a positive on him of course).

Moyes is good at what he does (or he was, he had a major blip until recently) what he is good at we don't need right now.

Hoofball was banished in that Camelot Season. The School of Science re-established.

Unfortunately the Moyes era DID impose an identity on us that has proven hard to erase. His impact in that decade + period he was here almost obliterated our birth right as Evertonians: to see quality football played on the deck.

I'm not seeing where we get it back from...

Shouts-FairyUnicorn.jpg

not many about...

You know I am a big Martinez fan, and not a Moyes lover but it's very harsh to say Moyes played hoofball. He never really did. You cant really play hoofball with the likes of Arteta, Pienaar and Osman on the pitch. His style was fine, it was his incessant negativity when we looked like pushing on that did him in.

Did we have players to compete with the third best side in Bucharest? Or when we were getting humped 4-0 by West Brom or Bolton or Aston Villa? Did we have players to start a season well or did we always have to play catch up after a poor start almost every year?

It was every single time when the pressure was on. He only really needed to avoid relegation in his first season (which is a positive on him of course).

Moyes is good at what he does (or he was, he had a major blip until recently) what he is good at we don't need right now.
Arguably true, and he still has this weakness to an extent going by some of West Ham's matches against the "big clubs" this season. But there are also signs he has learned too, such as the 3-3 game with Spurs, beating us away, etc.

He might be a slow learner, but at least he tries to learn lol

Absolute tripe. We played some great football in Moyes' last season, and would have arguably finished higher had the uncertainty over Moyes staying on not interfered. Weren't we pushing the top four around Christmas?

You know I am a big Martinez fan, and not a Moyes lover but it's very harsh to say Moyes played hoofball. He never really did. You cant really play hoofball with the likes of Arteta, Pienaar and Osman on the pitch. His style was fine, it was his incessant negativity when we looked like pushing on that did him in.
His signature move was someone like Unsworth getting to the half way line and punting long diagonal ball to the edge of the opposition box for either the Galloot or Cahill to head on for a team mate to win the second ball.

His signature move was someone like Unsworth getting to the half way line and punting long diagonal ball to the edge of the opposition box for either the Galloot or Cahill to head on for a team mate to win the second ball.

Nah this isn't really true.

Unsworth would do that regardless of who was in charge! We played some decent football under Moyes more often than not but he would often negate it by playing a striker wide right etc or bringing a defensive sub on.

There are loads of things to pull Moyes up about (and I do), I don't think his style of play was one of them really. Not saying it was like watching 1970 Brazil or anything but it was generally fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.